How do I crop a logo cleanly from a white background and export it as a layer for use in another pro

A
Posted By
apples
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip out and transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what approach I take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you have any advice – I’ll be forever in your debt.

Ben

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
n8 skow
Jul 6, 2004
Ask the company for a high-rez copy of the logo?

n8

Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip out
and
transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what approach
I
take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you have any advice – I’ll be forever in your debt.

Ben

A
arrooke
Jul 6, 2004
and
transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what approach
I
take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you have any advice – I’ll be forever in your debt.

Ben

If you have selected good sharp straight lines it should be OK. You should be able to drag the selection to your second image [alt & drag to copy]. That leaves resolution. Is the resolution of both images the same? Are you viewing the image at 100% on screen? If you are viewing less than or greater than 100%, this could give you jaggies. How does it print? If it prints OK don’t worry about it. If it prints with jaggies, you have a resolution problem. For home use inkjets you should be at least 150 ppi. From that starting point go higher as printer quality improves – to 300 ppi for professional use. If you have black & white line copy or greyscale, your starting point should be 600 ppi.

Note: ppi (pixels) is screen resolution = dpi (dots) is printer resolution.

Keith.
R
Roberto
Jul 6, 2004
At least since version 7, PS has got a Extract filter which will isolate whatever you need isolating from its background. Extract the logo from its original background and paste whatever you get into the new file.

Of course, the manual has info on how to use this filter.

"apples" wrote in message
Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip out and
transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what approach I

Ben

J
jrzyguy
Jul 7, 2004
I do this one all the time at work. If it is a public company…search their web site and go to investor information or corporate information section of their site and try to find a PDF version of their annual report.. (hopefully they will either have a high res or vector version of the logo their).

Save the PDF file to your HD….and the there are two ways to extract it.

1st…you can use photoshops File/Automate/multi-page PDF to PSD. Check out the setting there…make sure you are in rgb (it defaults to greyscale)…and up your resolution. (and make sure you have ONLY the page you want selected). It saves your psd where you told it too..but will close out…so go to most recent and open it that way (fast)…and then you should have decent file to work with.

#2 if you have access to corel draw 11 (earlier versions are a bit trickier), and i assume Illustrator can do this. You can just do a file open on that PDF file (again…it will ask you to select a specific page)….and boom…you have the whole page as vector and text. You can then just get rid of everything you do not need.. and then marquee the logo and export it as a jpg, png…or whatever.

hope this helpsIf you can open up a PDF in a vector program you should be able to export at a very high resolution…and therefore not get the "jaggies"

Let me know if this helps.

jj

"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message
At least since version 7, PS has got a Extract filter which will isolate whatever you need isolating from its background. Extract the logo from its original background and paste whatever you get into the new file.
Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip out and
transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what
approach
I
take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you
have
any advice – I’ll be forever in your debt.

Ben

J
jrzyguy
Jul 7, 2004
Just checked….you can do the same thing in illustrator (i thought so).

One more IMPORTANT note tho…99.9% of the time you will get an warning message from either vector program about subbing fonts….you typicaly dont have to worry about this cuz the logo has been converted to curves and is no longer a font

"jrzyguy" wrote in message
I do this one all the time at work. If it is a public company…search
their
web site and go to investor information or corporate information section
of
their site and try to find a PDF version of their annual report..
(hopefully
they will either have a high res or vector version of the logo their).
Save the PDF file to your HD….and the there are two ways to extract it.
1st…you can use photoshops File/Automate/multi-page PDF to PSD. Check
out
the setting there…make sure you are in rgb (it defaults to greyscale)…and up your resolution. (and make sure you have ONLY the page you want selected). It saves your psd where you told it too..but will
close
out…so go to most recent and open it that way (fast)…and then you
should
have decent file to work with.

#2 if you have access to corel draw 11 (earlier versions are a bit trickier), and i assume Illustrator can do this. You can just do a file open on that PDF file (again…it will ask you to select a specific page)….and boom…you have the whole page as vector and text. You can then just get rid of everything you do not need.. and then marquee the
logo
and export it as a jpg, png…or whatever.

hope this helpsIf you can open up a PDF in a vector program you should be able to export at a very high resolution…and therefore not get the "jaggies"

Let me know if this helps.

jj

"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message
At least since version 7, PS has got a Extract filter which will isolate whatever you need isolating from its background. Extract the logo from
its
original background and paste whatever you get into the new file.
Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip
out
and
approach
I
take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you
have

Ben

M
mrclean
Jul 8, 2004
apples wrote:
Okay, so I’m wracking my brain over this one. I simply want to clip out and transpose a corporate logo over another scene, but no matter what approach I take the edge seems to be rough and pixelated. There must be a simple solution. Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and if you have any advice – I’ll be forever in your debt.

Ben
Another good source of vectorized logos is:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com

They have thousands of vectorized company and product logos.
J
jrzyguy
Jul 8, 2004
wow! great site! i will definitely be checking this one out more while at work.

thanks

"Mr. Clean" <&g.com> wrote in message
apples wrote:
and
approach I
have

Ben
Another good source of vectorized logos is:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com

They have thousands of vectorized company and product logos.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections