Replies
Status
Closed
"Enterprise" wrote in
news:9yhGc.5828$:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="—-=_NextPart_001_000E_01C46298.3E198F30"

——=_NextPart_001_000E_01C46298.3E198F30
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,
I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried doing Dust and Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.

1) Never, ever post a binary in a non-binary group.

2) Turn off HTMl in Outlook (better yet, ditch Outlook).

3) Those aren’t fingerprints – those are Newton’s Rings, caused by godawfully poor scanning.

4) Unsharp Mask will never do anything but emphasize defects, as it is a sharpening tool.

Thanks in advance.
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,<BR>I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried doing Dust and Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
——=_NextPart_001_000E_01C46298.3E198F30–
——=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46298.3E198F30
Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="Eye.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Eye.jpg"

Attachment decoded: Eye.jpg
——=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46298.3E198F30–

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
noone
Jul 5, 2004
In article ,
com says…
"Enterprise" wrote in

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,
I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried doing Dust and Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.

3) Those aren’t fingerprints – those are Newton’s Rings, caused by godawfully poor scanning.

4) Unsharp Mask will never do anything but emphasize defects, as it is a sharpening tool.

Regarding the Newton’ Rings, there is a powder available in some large pro photo supply houses that can be used on the glass for your scans. Its intended purpose is the elimination of these rings in glass negative/transparency carriers. Years ago, when all image assembly was done analog fashion, we used it in our lab. You’d want to dust it off the glass, when done. Unfortunately, I do not recall the manufacturer, but a Google search might yield results. It seems that we purchased it through Wasatch Photo, but, as it was so very long ago, that might not be correct.

Hunt
A
arrooke
Jul 6, 2004

Newton’s rings! I’m impressed!! All these years I’ve just been calling it "the fuckin’ glass is dirty again". Learn something every day:-) Keith.
DD
Duncan Donald
Jul 6, 2004
An interesting thing about Newton rings is how they are caused. When you put a negative or photo print in contact with glass, you need 2 things to make (get?) Newton rings.

1. Moisture. Most darkrooms are moist from the trays of chemicals.
2. Plastic. Film is plastic, as is the surface of most photo papers.

You can generate a Newton ring effect from an ordinary plastic rule. It’s caused by refraction of light. The easiest way to avoid it is to keep the relative humidity of your work room below 32%. Another way is only work in an air-conditioned environment. Aircon dries out the air and starves the glass/plastic of the moisture needed to form Newton rings. _____________
And you wonder why they call me techno Aussie!

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"Enterprise" wrote in

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,<BR>I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried doing Dust and Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
——=_NextPart_001_000E_01C46298.3E198F30–
——=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46298.3E198F30
Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="Eye.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Eye.jpg"

Attachment decoded: Eye.jpg
——=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46298.3E198F30–
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 6, 2004
"arrooke" wrote in news:bpmGc.12584$WM5.668375 @news20.bellglobal.com:

Newton’s rings! I’m impressed!!

Background in optics. Shoulda seen the first mirror I ground by hand. It was "impressive" all right.

All these years I’ve just been calling it
"the fuckin’ glass is dirty again". Learn something every day:-)

Yep. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother with usenet anymore.
A
arrooke
Jul 6, 2004

Background in optics. Shoulda seen the first mirror I ground by hand. It was "impressive" all right.

Shoulda seen the first process print job I ever attempted. It was sample swatches of some kind of stucco paint or finish of some sort. No colour key. Run on a small press, one colour at a time. Needless to say it looked nothing like the samples the customer had supplied. It was rejected.
A
arrooke
Jul 6, 2004
An interesting thing about Newton rings is how they are caused. When you
put
a negative or photo print in contact with glass, you need 2 things to make (get?) Newton rings.

1. Moisture. Most darkrooms are moist from the trays of chemicals.
2. Plastic. Film is plastic, as is the surface of most photo papers.

You can generate a Newton ring effect from an ordinary plastic rule. It’s caused by refraction of light. The easiest way to avoid it is to keep the relative humidity of your work room below 32%. Another way is only work in an air-conditioned environment. Aircon dries out the air and starves the glass/plastic of the moisture needed to form Newton rings. _____________
And you wonder why they call me techno Aussie!

And in Aus the swirls go in the opposite direction!
In a similar vein (well, not really but speaking of dry air). The best static reducer I found is anything wet that’s convenient and in a spray bottle. I’ve used much windex, because it was handy. Just spray into the gripper, cylinder areas of the press, folder whatever. Don’t worry about spraying too much. A couple sheets of paper dry’s it enough with lot’s of moisture left over to cure the static. I suppose a thinking person would save a spent windex bottle & fill it with water.
Keith.
H
Hecate
Jul 7, 2004
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:07:13 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

"arrooke" wrote in news:bpmGc.12584$WM5.668375 @news20.bellglobal.com:

Sounds like one of those "looking through the bottom of a bottle" lenses I had when I was young 😉

Me too. That and the chance to swear at the spammers 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 7, 2004
Hecate wrote in
news::

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:07:13 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

"arrooke" wrote in
news:bpmGc.12584$WM5.668375 @news20.bellglobal.com:

Sounds like one of those "looking through the bottom of a bottle" lenses I had when I was young 😉

Probably woulda given a better image. Chromatic aberration is not your friend. Nor are scratches from "shortcuts" in the grinding process invented by junior apprentice wannabee mirrormakers.

Okay, fine. I’ll stop censoring myself. Happy?
X
XCATivor
Jul 7, 2004
"arrooke" wrote in message

Newton’s rings! I’m impressed!! All these years I’ve just been calling it "the fuckin’ glass is dirty again". Learn something every day:-) Keith.

High school physics…

🙂

.. .::xcat
:.:.:.:.:.:.
H
Hecate
Jul 8, 2004
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:06:21 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Probably woulda given a better image. Chromatic aberration is not your friend. Nor are scratches from "shortcuts" in the grinding process invented by junior apprentice wannabee mirrormakers.

Okay, fine. I’ll stop censoring myself. Happy?

LOL!

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
D
Doc
Jul 28, 2004
I just encountered this group today and thought I might add it to my news groups. That was before I read this string. Someone obviously just learning and in need of help comes to the group with what he thought was a valid question. Instead of offering him guidance, he is attacked for his ignorance of newsgroup etiquite by a bunch of pompus asses pontificating about "Newtons Rings."
While you all are patting each other on the back for your supirior knowledge, you are driving away potential assets to the group. I think I’ll look elsewhere for a more accommodating group.

"Enterprise" wrote in message news:9yhGc.5828 $
Hi,
I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried doing Dust and
Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that > > did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to > do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.
Thanks in advance.
H
Hecete
Jul 28, 2004
in article VqQNc.19331$, Doc at
wrote on 07/28/2004 9:24 AM:

I think I’ll look elsewhere for a more accommodating group.

Why should anyone care what you do?
D
Doc
Jul 28, 2004
"Hecete" wrote in message

this is only the opinion of a lurker

im sure an arogant ass like you sure wouldnt
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 28, 2004
Doc wrote:
I just encountered this group today and thought I might add it to my news groups. That was before I read this string. Someone obviously just learning and in need of help comes to the group with what he thought was a valid question. Instead of offering him guidance, he is attacked for his ignorance of newsgroup etiquite by a bunch of pompus asses pontificating about "Newtons Rings."
While you all are patting each other on the back for your supirior knowledge, you are driving away potential assets to the group. I think I’ll look elsewhere for a more accommodating group.

Doc,

You’re correct that there is a lot of "chaff" here in the form of people who enjoy pontificating at the expense of the poor person asking an innocent question. There are also people here who make it their business to taunt others.

Even worse, it’s gotten to the point where the more helpful people in the group are targetted for skillful harassment, including posting false articles under their names, apparently only because they are helpful, and care about the people they help. This extends to other groups outside the Photoshop group as well, and appears to have accelerated in recent months.

Ugly, indeed, particularly because there are a lot of new people joining, and they are particularly vulnerable to this sort of predatory behavior. I obviously think the benefits of being here outweigh the disadvantages, and after a while you can just ignore the nasty stuff – separating the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Otherwise, ignore the chaff, and above all, try never to respond in kind to people whom you know are simply harassing you.

Having said all this, I have set up a moderated group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Curvemeister/, primarily devoted to discussing curvemeister plugin issues, but also open to discussion of the use of curves in Photoshop. If that particular facet interests you, you are welcome to join my group, and there are other groups as well. The tone on yahoo, and for that matter other email based discussion lists, is much milder simply because anonymity is more difficult.

I hope Usenet is able to come up with something similar. It would be a shame to abandon such an edifice simply because of predatory behavior such as is seen here.

Mike Russell
www.geigy.2y.net
D
Doc
Jul 28, 2004
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Doc wrote:

Doc,

You’re correct that there is a lot of "chaff" here in the form of people
who
enjoy pontificating at the expense of the poor person asking an innocent question. There are also people here who make it their business to taunt others.

Even worse, it’s gotten to the point where the more helpful people in the group are targetted for skillful harassment, including posting false articles under their names, apparently only because they are helpful, and care about the people they help. This extends to other groups outside the Photoshop group as well, and appears to have accelerated in recent months.
Ugly, indeed, particularly because there are a lot of new people joining, and they are particularly vulnerable to this sort of predatory behavior.
I
obviously think the benefits of being here outweigh the disadvantages, and after a while you can just ignore the nasty stuff – separating the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Otherwise, ignore the chaff, and above all, try never to respond in kind
to
people whom you know are simply harassing you.

Having said all this, I have set up a moderated group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Curvemeister/, primarily devoted to
discussing
curvemeister plugin issues, but also open to discussion of the use of
curves
in Photoshop. If that particular facet interests you, you are welcome to join my group, and there are other groups as well. The tone on yahoo, and for that matter other email based discussion lists, is much milder simply because anonymity is more difficult.

I hope Usenet is able to come up with something similar. It would be a shame to abandon such an edifice simply because of predatory behavior such as is seen here.

Mike Russell
www.geigy.2y.net

Thank you for your reply Mike, I’ll lurk for a while to see what this group has to offer.
And… yes I’ll drop by your Yahoo group and check it out as well. Doc
H
Hecete
Jul 28, 2004
in article dPSNc.17305$, Doc at
wrote on 07/28/2004 12:06 PM:

"Hecete" wrote in message

this is only the opinion of a lurker

im sure an arogant ass like you sure wouldnt

Now you know the value attached to your message.
H
Hecete
Jul 28, 2004
in article JTSNc.99383$, Mike Russell at
wrote on 07/28/2004 12:11 PM:

There are also people here who make it their business to taunt others.

Trolling is a sport.

Even worse, it’s gotten to the point where the more helpful people in the group are targetted for skillful harassment, including posting false articles under their names, apparently only because they are helpful, and care about the people they help.

"Under their names"? Not true.

Now keep the facts strait if you are going to tell the story.

":^) ®

Ugly, indeed, particularly because there are a lot of new people joining, and they are particularly vulnerable to this sort of predatory behavior.

Predatory?

hahahahaa.

try never to respond …

Some silly people just can’t do that. Just like you can’t quite do it.

hahahaha.

Having said all this, I have set up a moderated group at

Oh, yes… run off to your protected group. Nice and safe and censored.

hahahahaha.
V
Voivod
Jul 28, 2004
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:11:37 GMT, "Mike Russell" scribbled:

Having said all this, I have set up a moderated group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Curvemeisterbaiter/, primarily devoted to discussing curvemeister plugin issues, but also open to discussion of the use of curves in Photoshop. If that particular facet interests you, you are welcome to join my group, and there are other groups as well. The tone on yahoo, and for that matter other email based discussion lists, is much milder simply because anonymity is more difficult.

And only because crybabies rely on kludgy, slow, impractical web forums.
V
Voivod
Jul 28, 2004
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:40:35 -0700, Hecete
scribbled:

Trolling is a sport.

More like a special olympics event for you, Uni…..
W
wnor
Jul 28, 2004
I care. I agree that there are a bunch of pompous asses in the group but have learned to ignore them. I appreciate the help of those that aren’t. A newcomer may not have learned how to turn them off yet.

Hecete …

V
Voivod
Jul 28, 2004
On 28 Jul 2004 15:26:02 -0700, (Wesley Norman)
scribbled:

I care. I agree that there are a bunch of pompous asses in the group but have learned to ignore them.

You just can’t tell the difference between them.
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 28, 2004
"Doc" wrote in
news:VqQNc.19331$:

The thread:

http://tinyurl.com/6vknx

Where, exactly, is he being "attacked?"

<snip>
D
Doc
Jul 28, 2004
"Doc" wrote in

The thread:

<snip>

Eric I do not want to start a flame war, but since you asked, I will reply.

First of all a numbered list is never a friendly reply.

The first item on the numbered list you posted is telling him he was rude to have intruded on the group by posting a binary. If he is a newbie as I suspect he is; he may not even know what you mean by a binary post.

Next in so many words, you tell him he must be stupid for using Outlook, he is better off "ditching" it.

Then you tell him it is his fault because of his "godawfully poor scanning."

Lastly you might as well as said he in ignorant for trying to use an unsharp mask, because it will only emphasize defects..

To put it simply, he is asking for help, because he does not know how to improve his picture.

Just which of your numbered items you offered him was meant to help to him with his quest?

Your post was followed by an intellectual discourse on Newton’s rings, all ignoring any attempt to offer a useful reply to the original post. As for my referring to the "thread" as a "string" forgive me if my use of English, my second language, is not as good as yours.

I stand by my first assessment.
H
Hecete
Jul 28, 2004
in article tBWNc.19425$, Doc at
wrote on 07/28/2004 4:25 PM:

Your post was followed by an intellectual discourse on Newton’s rings, all ignoring any attempt to offer a useful reply to the original post.

You should have learned by now that it is not necessary that a reply be "useful"… just look at your reply.

ALT. newsgroups are free and open forums, any type of message is allowed, even yours.
JC
James Connell
Jul 28, 2004
Doc wrote:
<snip>

welcome to usenet – don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
N
newsgroup
Jul 29, 2004
Just so that there’s no mistaken identity, "Doc" is not me, I distinguish my handle with a tilde.

~Doc
V
Voivod
Jul 29, 2004
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:25:13 GMT, "Doc"
scribbled:

"Doc" wrote in

The thread:

<snip>

Eric I do not want to start a flame war, but since you asked, I will reply.

You don’t want to start a flame war but on your first day in the group you’ll go and call people ‘pompus asses’?

First of all a numbered list is never a friendly reply.

Why not?

The first item on the numbered list you posted is telling him he was rude to have intruded on the group by posting a binary. If he is a newbie as I suspect he is; he may not even know what you mean by a binary post.

That’s his problem. This isn’t a binaries groups and no one should have to hold the hand of the clueless to walk them through how usenet works.

Next in so many words, you tell him he must be stupid for using Outlook, he is better off "ditching" it.

Incredibly good advice, Outhouse Express is a trojan and virus target. If he’s, as you suggest, so much of a newbie that he doesn’t know what a binary post it he’s certainly not secured his news client.

As well, how is telling someone to turn off the HTML in a plain text medium like usenet and/or ditch a shit client implying that ‘they must be stupid’?

Then you tell him it is his fault because of his "godawfully poor scanning."

Does the truth hurt? Sometimes. If you want to be coddled, go take a class where you’re paying for your answers.

Lastly you might as well as said he in ignorant for trying to use an unsharp mask, because it will only emphasize defects..

You do tend to put a LOT of words and ideas into other people’s posts. Methinks the problem lies within you and not anywhere else.

To put it simply, he is asking for help, because he does not know how to improve his picture.

Just which of your numbered items you offered him was meant to help to him with his quest?

What suggestions have YOU offered?

Your post was followed by an intellectual discourse on Newton’s rings, all ignoring any attempt to offer a useful reply to the original post.

Welcome to usenet, get over it or go play in the Yahoo groups.

As for my referring to the "thread" as a "string" forgive me if my use of English, my second language, is not as good as yours.

I stand by my first assessment.

The one where you called people "pompus asses" for having a discussion?
SN
slyone.no
Jul 29, 2004
you guys are sensitive to the truth
sometimes the truth hurts dont it
H
Hecete
Jul 29, 2004
in article etYNc.35202$,
wrote on 07/28/2004 6:32
PM:

you guys are sensitive to the truth
sometimes the truth hurts dont it

What "truth" have you posted?
H
Hecete
Jul 29, 2004
in article , Voivod at
wrote on 07/28/2004 3:10 PM:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:40:35 -0700, Hecete
scribbled:

Trolling is a sport.

More like a special olympics event for you, Uni…..

Hooked you right in the eye… so the lure was good enough.
H
Hecete
Jul 29, 2004
Some horses need blinders because they are easily spooked. Thus filters for newsgroups were invented.

in article , Wesley Norman at
wrote on 07/28/2004 3:26 PM:

I care. I agree that there are a bunch of pompous asses in the group but have learned to ignore them. I appreciate the help of those that aren’t. A newcomer may not have learned how to turn them off yet.
Hecete wrote in message
news:<BD2D413E.117E33%>…

O
OceanView
Jul 29, 2004
"Doc" wrote in

I just encountered this group today and thought I might add it to my news groups. That was before I read this string. Someone obviously just learning and in need of help comes to the group with what he thought was a valid question.
Instead of offering him guidance, he is attacked for his ignorance of newsgroup etiquite by a bunch of pompus asses pontificating about "Newtons Rings."
While you all are patting each other on the back for your supirior knowledge, you are driving away potential assets to the group. I think I’ll look elsewhere for a more
accommodating group.

"Enterprise" wrote in message
news:9yhGc.5828
$ Hi,
I am trying to remove fingerprints from a face. I tried
doing Dust and
Scratches then Unsharp to fix the problem, but that > > did not work since my Dust and Scratches has to be at least 10 pixels to repair the finger prints. So…I don’t know what to > do at this point. Any help appreciated…I attached a section of the image.
Thanks in advance.

Learning to ‘block sender’ turns down the noise that occurs in every group. It doesn’t take long to learn who they are.

—————
Restore your photos
www.secondchancemedia.com
O
OceanView
Jul 29, 2004
Hecete wrote in
news:BD2DA6E8.117FF0%:

Some horses need blinders because they are easily spooked. Thus filters for newsgroups were invented.

in article ,
Wesley Norman at wrote on 07/28/2004 3:26
PM:

I care. I agree that there are a bunch of pompous asses in the group but have learned to ignore them. I appreciate
the help of those that aren’t. A newcomer may not have
learned how to turn them off yet.

Hecete wrote in message
news:<BD2D413E.117E33%>…
in article VqQNc.19331$, Doc
at wrote on 07/28/2004
9:24 AM:

I think I’ll look elsewhere for a more accommodating
group.

More like a "Squelch" knob on a CB or Ham radio.

—————
Restore your photos
www.secondchancemedia.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections