Posted By
envirographics
Jul 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
BIG BIG PROBLEM …AM I DREAMING !

Do please read…Microsoft have messed me up bigtime, but what of others ?

My mouse speed setting Win98 gave me as default, also used by others and so important to my drawing ability is not possible under Win2000-XP-ME without getting steppy cursor action. It is a Microsoft introduced problem…but they haven’t a fix for it as yet they say…and not sure if there will be one ….WHAT !!!!!

I need to know:
Have you also hit this problem ?
Have you solved it ?
Have you contacted anyone about it ?
How to use a slow mouse and a gelpad mat ?

Here’s the story !

I started my graphics PC life on Win95, puzzled why the mouse required so much mat to move across screen. For what I have to do, I struggled to draw across screen until someone showed me the motion slider in properties, I never looked back ! I reset it to a mouse speed of 1.5inch (40mm) across mat does full screen width, top to bottom became 1inch (25mm)…great ! no more stroking the mouse mat !
Then with Win98, this speed came as default. So others must also be happier now ! For graphics usage its essential to me and I have been using this sensible natural speed for ten years now and others when on Win95 shown this stay with it. I am able to do detailed precise drawing and positioning, airbrushing all way across screen etc. Such things as settings sliders in Photoshop are moveable in 1 unit increments. I can select individual characters in 6pt text dead easy. IMPORTANTLY I need to use a gel-pad mouse-mat now for wrist health and this speed is ESSENTIAL else mouse hits pad and hand movement is over-stretched. Use of a pen tablet is not possible with a gelpad, the area mapped to screen for static wrist use is far too sensitive and impossible to use. Move the wrist across pad and judder messes up draw accuracy. Move wrist across plastic surface and same happens. The Wacom pad mouse is inferior in comfort with sharp edges, and unable to match smoothness of line of Microsoft mouse.

HOWEVER Microsoft have taken the motion speed I use away with Win2000-XP-ME. This is fact and confirmed by them,…nice one Bill !

As these come, their motion setting has 10 units, default setting is the middle, but hell this is TERRIBLY SLOW, I am unable to draw anymore, (try setting your motion slider 3 units slower to see how it feels !). I run out of hand movement left to right and mouse hits pad with only quarter travel down screen. Up the motion setting to 8of 10 and problem sorted, BUT cursor is now steppy and steerability is also poor. Impossible to move it smoothly any more and USELESS for drawing. Even Photoshop sliders can’t be set as desired anymore, and cursor keys don’t work with them. The higher the setting, the worse the steppiness.

So how are others coping ? Microsoft acknowledge the problem but have no fix for it as yet and more worrying is that they tell me they don’t have reports from others about it, YET IT EXISTS ON ALL MICROSOFT PCs WITH ALL MICE, AS IT IS OS BASED !

I am forced to put Win98 onto my new WinXP PC in order to carry on my graphics ability, I go home and use Win98 for even more advanced graphics. Continuity between mice for drawing ability is essential. Win98 days are numbered so then what ?

Perhaps this nightmare I shall awake from ! Should I give up with PC’s and go Mac…why should I, PC’s are valid for graphics, no problems until now, graphics programs are intended for PC, why lead us along this long road all these years then end it ? Furthermore the work I do at home is PC, I cannot afford all new kit and the work is for other PC users and involves programs that only run on PC. At work I am part of a PC network and the Government mapping database I run is vital and what might happen if I try to convert it. Furthermore our IT support is PC ! I came across a Mac user and he had set his mouse to my speed, its so sensible, so why oh why have Microsoft done the dirty on us ?

At the very

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KA
Klaas A Visser
Jul 2, 2003
In XP at least, open the Control Panel. You may need to switch to Classic view, select the Mouse icon. Go to Motion Tab. Cursor Speed and Acceleration settings will provide what you are after……

cheers
Klaas A Visser
Sydney, Australia
KA
Klaas A Visser
Jul 2, 2003
A bit more info: I just set mine (in WinXP) to max speed, and high acceleration, and the pointer moves smoothly from the left hand side of my primary screen, to the right hand side of my secondary screen, and the mouse movement was around one inch. No movement problems, and is real smooth. By moving the mouse slowly, it covers a smaller distance, but still smoothly.

cheers
Klaas A Visser
Sydney, Australia
E
envirographics
Jul 2, 2003
Klaas, and Thee_DarkOverlord – thanks for feedback,
Klaas – can I check some criteria/facts – the importance is the realistic drawing speed, say 5 sec left to right across a single monitor, should see about 1.5inch (40mm). Do you have this, if so, move cursor diagonally down screen and study cursor action, but better still, to capture the movement on screen do this …launch MSpaint via Programs>accessories and go Image>attributes 1052×950 pixels and carefully draw a diagonal line, how smooth is it ?
Why MSpaint, the problem is program independent, does it anywhere, I used MSpaint cos all PC’s have it, saving installing Pshop each time. It captures the cursor action with a visible line and gives a common reference to me as Pshop pencil at 1 pixel may be lost if image 300dpi.
Pitty we can’t post images here !…but imagine a line made of 1 pixel steps, sort of black squares corner to corner, unlike black dash horiz then black dash vertical etc giving a set of steps.
If so, what mouse and spec have you, MICROSOFT AND I MOST INTERESTED TO KNOW AS THEIR TESTS ALSO CONFIRM MY FINDINGS!

Thee_DarkOverlord – what speed setting have you,…do you meet these criteria mentioned to Klaus…can you try this test also please.
All forum readers -Note- its not a photoshop issue, cursor steppy even over desktop.

Steve
KA
Klaas A Visser
Jul 2, 2003
Well, I can’t draw a straight line free hand to save myself, so I used the line tool. It looked fine 100%. At 600%, you could see the individual pixels going diagonally down the page, and occasionally (every eight pixels or so) there would be two pixels in a straight line.

I use a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical.

cheers
Klaas A Visser
Sydney, Australia

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections