BP
Posted By
Bob Pierce
Jul 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can do amazing things in Photoshop but not, apparently, create icons. Is this correct?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 2, 2003
you can create the design for your icons in photoshop, you just cant save them as a icon. but you can find plenty of free stuff on the web to do that for you.

Actualy im not sure about what im about to sugest, but hoepfully some one here may point us in the right direction. But perhaps you can just save your icon as a bmp and change the extension name, this knida things doesnt normaly work, but worth a try. Any one out there know??
EW
Ed Wiser
Jul 2, 2003
Might want to check out
http://www.axialis.com/axiconsc.html
Axialis IconWorkshop
P
Phosphor
Jul 2, 2003
I created my icon in Photoshop 32×32 pixels, and pasted it into MS Paint. Saved it as a 16 bit bitmap .ico.

Play with it, maybe you can get the results you want.

If you want a background on your icon, give it a black border. it won’t show the border, but it’ll retain the background.

PS. Change it to indexed color and select 24 colors, flatten it and copy/paste it into Paint.
TM
Trevor Morris
Jul 2, 2003
Check out IconBuilder XP <http://www.iconfactory.com/ibxp_home.asp>, an icon plug-in for Photoshop. It allows you to create an icon using all the power of Photoshop and then save the results as a true ICO file (any size and color depth, traditional or XP).
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2003
Try this,

After you make the icon, change it to indexed color, I just select (system windows) it’ll be 256 colors, then save it as a .BMP.

Now, go to where you saved the icon and change the file extension to .ICO.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
I seem to recall that that approach can cause problems ed. I don’t remember what they were though! 🙂

"I read that it had some serious side effects. I can’t remember any of them, or else I could be informative. But at least I can be alarmist."
– Dave Foley
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2003
TDO,

Here’s what I’d do:

I’d go to where you saved the icon and change the file extension to .ICO.

🙂
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2003
Dave,

I guess the best thing I can do is cross that bridge when I get there. (shrug)

Thanks for the heads up.:)
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
WHAT?!! Work? We don’t need no stinking work! (My boss and boss’ boss are out today!)
JW
John Waller
Jul 4, 2003
Re: ICO files are not simply renamed BMP files

<snip />
On occasion, you may come across files which have a .ICO extension that are not true icons. These are usually simple bitmap files which have simply been renamed by persons who are unaware of the differences in file format specifications. Some systems will actually display these files as icon-like images, but they also will cause problems under some Windows versions. If you come across such a file, and have problems accessing it, you should try renaming the extension from .ICO to .BMP and importing the image. Since such files do not contain true transparency or other icon attributes, you will have to edit and use File/Save As to create an icon in true ICO format.

from
http://www.cursorarts.com/help/icon/glossary.htm

Regards

John Waller

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections