W
Posted By
wdflannery
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve read Eismann …. but still am shaky when it comes to adjusting skin tones ….. usually I don’t worry about it …. but I made some shots with late afternoon window light ….and it seems difficult to eyeball the necessary adjustments.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jenelisepasceci
Nov 24, 2003
(Wdflannery) wrote:

I’ve read Eismann …. but still am shaky when it comes to adjusting skin tones …. usually I don’t worry about it …. but I made some shots with late afternoon window light ….and it seems difficult to eyeball the necessary adjustments.
Eyball is a good point. A simple first step is to use the white in the eye of the model as a reference point for neutral grey 😉 Peter
W
wdflannery
Nov 24, 2003
Just my luck ….. her eyes (new baby) are closed …. a great tip though!
TN
Tom Nelson
Nov 24, 2003
Skin tones vary a lot even among racial groups. Here are a few notes I’ve made about caucasian skin. They relate to different images whose skin seemed good, so the individual notes differ.

HSB brightness of 77% is equivalent to a medium suntan. Look for around H=23° S=40% B=77%. Read a part of the face (I like the forehead) which is neither a shiny highlight nor in shadow.

In HSB, try a highlight brightness value of B=78%, shadow B= 27% H=22° S=40% B=77% is equivalent to R=199 G=152 B=119

A model in makeup had HSB ranges of:
H=18-25
S=26-45
B=71-89

Color guru Dan Margulis, in a rare excursion from his CMYK aerie, says: Caucasian targets are around:
R=150
G=50
Y=90
[You’d have to read the yellow by choosing CMYK as well as RGB in the Info palette]

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
C
curvy
Nov 25, 2003
Assuming the model is not in shadow or a light with color cast, skin colors can best be done by the numbers per Eismann and/or Margulis.

But my favorite numbers for a model are 36-22-36.

Tom Nelson wrote:
Skin tones vary a lot even among racial groups. Here are a few notes I’ve made about caucasian skin. They relate to different images whose skin seemed good, so the individual notes differ.

HSB brightness of 77% is equivalent to a medium suntan. Look for around H=23° S=40% B=77%. Read a part of the face (I like the forehead) which is neither a shiny highlight nor in shadow.

In HSB, try a highlight brightness value of B=78%, shadow B= 27% H=22° S=40% B=77% is equivalent to R=199 G=152 B=119
A model in makeup had HSB ranges of:
H=18-25
S=26-45
B=71-89

Color guru Dan Margulis, in a rare excursion from his CMYK aerie, says: Caucasian targets are around:
R=150
G=50
Y=90
[You’d have to read the yellow by choosing CMYK as well as RGB in the Info palette]

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections