Posted By
MelvinRA
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I need a few pointers on how to do dot shading using PhotoShop. I just now learning my way aroiund PhotoShop. I have cartoon panels in black and white on bristol and the last time I was called upon to do a cartoon panel, I just went
out and bought some Zip-A-Tone or Chartpak and shaded them that way. Those days are gone, and I understand the pros now shade using PhotoShop. I don’t know the process and I need to learn it. The panels are for a one color trade newsletter that is printed offset, so I don’t want to lose sharpness, and I am left to my own vices in PhotoShop, I will do just that.

Can anyone help me out with a step by step process?

Thanks,
Melvin

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WO
Wizard of Draws
Jun 27, 2004
On 6/26/04 9:11 AM, in article
, "Melvin"
wrote:

Hi all,

I need a few pointers on how to do dot shading using PhotoShop. I just now learning my way aroiund PhotoShop. I have cartoon panels in black and white on bristol and the last time I was called upon to do a cartoon panel, I just went
out and bought some Zip-A-Tone or Chartpak and shaded them that way. Those days are gone, and I understand the pros now shade using PhotoShop. I don’t know the process and I need to learn it. The panels are for a one color trade newsletter that is printed offset, so I don’t want to lose sharpness, and I am left to my own vices in PhotoShop, I will do just that.

Thanks,
Melvin

A quick and dirty way I worked out a while back when I was using Photoshop 4:
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/main/zip.html

You can also create a pattern at the grayscale you want and then just paint with a brush.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
www.wizardofdraws.com
www.cartoonclipart.com
R
Roberto
Jun 28, 2004
I know some cartoon pros and they don’t use Photoshop. They may scan the shaded work at some point, but I never see them do any
drawing/shading/whatnot in PS. Some things just look better when done manually, I guess…

Well, Melvin, sorry I couldn’t be of much assistance. Good luck!

"Melvin" wrote in message
Hi all,

Thanks,
Melvin
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 28, 2004
It’s Sunday night…and just this morning I was admiring the coloring of For Better Or Worse in this mornings paper. There is something new going on….don’t know what though.

"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message
I know some cartoon pros and they don’t use Photoshop. They may scan the shaded work at some point, but I never see them do any
drawing/shading/whatnot in PS. Some things just look better when done manually, I guess…

Well, Melvin, sorry I couldn’t be of much assistance. Good luck!
"Melvin" wrote in message
Hi all,

Thanks,
Melvin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections