M
Posted By
Matt
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My system got fried in an electrical storm and I need to replace the motherboard and processor. I’m trying to decide between these two:

AMD64 3500 (this is their newest 939-pin processor) & Asus A8V Dlx

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

The AMD’s a little bit more, but it’s also slightly newer technology. I know it supposedly handles slightly better in the gaming arena but I’m not sure if it performs better with Photoshop/Illustrator type applications. Any opinions, suggestions or ideas? I’ve already got the memory, power supply and new hard drive. One person in
alt.design.graphics say to go with the P4… but I thought I’d check in here as well.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NE
no_email
Jun 23, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:51:50 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

My system got fried in an electrical storm and I need to replace the motherboard and processor. I’m trying to decide between these two:
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

The AMD’s a little bit more, but it’s also slightly newer technology. I know it supposedly handles slightly better in the gaming arena but I’m not sure if it performs better with Photoshop/Illustrator type applications. Any opinions, suggestions or ideas? I’ve already got the memory, power supply and new hard drive. One person in
alt.design.graphics say to go with the P4… but I thought I’d check in here as well.
I would buy a good reliable surge suppressor first. I like APC ZONED!
A
alun
Jun 23, 2004
I run those programmes and have an Asus m/board.
It’s not that particular model but it’s bloody good! I can’t complain. A computer friend (who’s into the programming etc) even bought the same m/board as me as he thought it was great!

-alun
http://alun.org

"Matt" wrote in message
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

M
Matt
Jun 23, 2004
"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

I’m on an APC actually but because I have a cable internet connection that doesn’t route through it they wouldn’t honor the claim.
H
Hecate
Jun 24, 2004
wrote:

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

Buy the AMD – as 64 Windows and software comes on stream, you’ll already have a processor that can handle. Plus, the AMD is faster than anything Intel has and is backwards compatible with 32 bit software.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
D
Drifter
Jun 24, 2004
wrote:

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

I’ve found the systems suggested here
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/33672 81 to be pretty well researched.

also I strongly second the idea of buying a decent UPS
http://www.apcc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Drifter
"I’ve been here, I’ve been there…"
O
otuatail
Jun 24, 2004
I use AMD not only is it cheeper than Intel But some including myself think it performs better.

Desmond
NE
no_email
Jun 24, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:38:21 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

I’m on an APC actually but because I have a cable internet connection that doesn’t route through it they wouldn’t honor the claim.
Ouch! Mine has cable protection built in.
ZONED!
A
adykes
Jun 24, 2004
In article ,
Matt wrote:
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

Just a comment; _all_ the parts are suspect after a system’s been killed by a power hit. Use them, but make sure you do good backups.

IMHO

Al Dykes
———–
adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections