DF
Posted By
Destin_FL
Feb 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(cross-posted to adobe.photoshop.windows, but I think there may be more users here…..)

Hi all,
Is anyone using the Apple Cinema Display 20" for graphics, prepress, and photography editing? Are the images sharp? Are the colors accurate?

I’m interested in using it with a 64-bit Velocity Micro and nVidia 6600 card, PC platform of course, but has DVI.

Does anyone have a feeling about that over possibly a big ‘pro’ level Viewsonic panel? Or another brand somewhere between $500 and $850….

Thanks!

Tim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MI
Mark_invalid_spamblock_
Feb 16, 2006
"Destin_FL" wrote in message
(cross-posted to adobe.photoshop.windows, but I think there may be more users here…..)

Hi all,
Is anyone using the Apple Cinema Display 20" for graphics, prepress, and photography editing? Are the images sharp? Are the colors accurate?
I’m interested in using it with a 64-bit Velocity Micro and nVidia 6600 card, PC platform of course, but has DVI.

Does anyone have a feeling about that over possibly a big ‘pro’ level Viewsonic panel? Or another brand somewhere between $500 and $850….

Color fidelity on LCDs is excellent. The trade-off is, that fidelity (at least on consumer models) is within a narrower color gamut. Editing images with lots of near-blacks and near-whites is still an exercise in futility on consumer LCDs, which is why most pro graphic shops still use CRTs.

LCD technology is certainly improving, and if money is no object you can get very close or even surpass a CRT’s gamut. Most notable are the newer models from Eizo and NEC-Mitsubishi, although all of these are well into four-figure territory.

Really the holy grail in digital flat panels is with LED technology, which is coming within the next year or two at most. In the meantime, at least IMO it would be really stupid to go out and buy a high-end LCD. If you need a replacement now, settle for one of the excellent Samsungs or similar until the LEDs hit the street.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections