How Is Saved Selection Available to Another Opened Image?

B
Posted By
Bernie
Feb 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image. I select an area with the magic wand and save the selection. I also save the .psd file so that the selection will be available later. Now, here is the question:
How can I have this selection available for anothe image that I have opened with File/Open?
I have not closed the previous image.
Thanks!

maria

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PP
Pod Press
Feb 11, 2006
On 2/11/06 12:53 AM, in article ,
"maria" <maria> ranted:

I have an image. I select an area with the magic wand and save the selection. I also save the .psd file so that the selection will be available later. Now, here is the question:
How can I have this selection available for anothe image that I have opened with File/Open?
Thanks!

maria
On its own layer, fill the re-selected selection with black (or any color) then, from the layer palette, drag and drop into the second image, delete the fill and then save the selection.

-V
B
Bernie
Feb 11, 2006
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:56:45 -0500, Pod Press
wrote:

"maria" <maria> ranted:

Thanks!

maria
On its own layer, fill the re-selected selection with black (or any color) then, from the layer palette, drag and drop into the second image, delete the fill and then save the selection.

-V

V,

I did what you said, but when I dragged and dropped the selection from its own layer into the second image, I didn’t get the flashing selection border itself there. What do you mean by "delete the fill"? Would the selection border appear if I deleted the fill? Thank you very much for your help!

maria
DF
Derek Fountain
Feb 11, 2006
maria wrote:

Drag and drop is easiest: open both images side by side, choose one of the selection tools (the wand is fine), then click and drag from inside the selected area over to the other image.

Or, in the image with the selection, Select->Save Selection, give it a name, then drag the newly created channel from the channels palette onto the other image from where you can manipulate it. Quick mask is a shortcut around the "save selection" step.

<a href="http://www.derekfountain.org/">Derek Fountain</a> on the web at http://www.derekfountain.org/
T
Tacit
Feb 11, 2006
In article <C01302ED.1AF29%>,
Pod Press wrote:

That’s a clumsy and awkward way to do it.

A selection is saved as a channel. The easy, one-step way to do this is to use the Channels palette. No clumsy working with layers when what you actually want is channels.

Or, if both images have the same pixel dimensions, you can just use the Select->Load Selection command to load the selection from where it is saved in thee other image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
PP
Pod Press
Feb 12, 2006
On 2/11/06 3:48 AM, in article ,
"maria" <maria> ranted:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:56:45 -0500, Pod Press
wrote:

"maria" <maria> ranted:

Thanks!

maria

-V

V,

I did what you said, but when I dragged and dropped the selection from its own layer into the second image, I didn’t get the flashing selection border itself there. What do you mean by "delete the fill"? Would the selection border appear if I deleted the fill? Thank you very much for your help!

maria
The selection won’t show the "marching ants" border until you reselect it. In the layer palette, command/click on the layer and you will see the border, then you can save the selection. Don’t worry about deleting the fill–once you have the selection saved, you can trash the whole layer.

-V
N
noone
Feb 13, 2006
In article , <Unknown> says…
Thanks!

maria

Maria,

Both Tacit and Derek have the easiest answers for you. Tacit mentioned that the resolution/dimensions of BOTH images need to be the same, and that should be underlined. The workaround, if they are not (I’d go to Edit>Image Size and make them equal), is to Transform the Selection, once it is into your second image, but starting at the same size/rez is far easier, especially if the Selection is intricate, and I assume that one made with the Magic Wand would be.

Hunt
B
Bernie
Feb 22, 2006
On 13 Feb 2006 16:24:39 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article , <Unknown> says…
Thanks!

maria

Maria,

Both Tacit and Derek have the easiest answers for you. Tacit mentioned that the resolution/dimensions of BOTH images need to be the same, and that should be underlined. The workaround, if they are not (I’d go to Edit>Image Size and make them equal), is to Transform the Selection, once it is into your second image, but starting at the same size/rez is far easier, especially if the Selection is intricate, and I assume that one made with the Magic Wand would be.

Hunt

Thank you guys, Pod Press, tacit, Derek Fountain, and Hunt for yor help. I appreciate it.

maria

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections