G
Posted By
Grey
Jun 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using PS7, how do I change the colour of a persons hair? I have a full length photo jpeg of someone and want to change their hair from black to blonde.

Graham

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WA
w.altman
Jun 13, 2004
don’t know how to change hair color, but I can chnaging hait colour

"Grey" wrote in message
Using PS7, how do I change the colour of a persons hair? I have a full length photo jpeg of someone and want to change their hair from black to blonde.

Graham

NE
no_email
Jun 13, 2004
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:09:55 +0000 (UTC), "Grey" wrote:

Graham
Sounds like the selection from hell to me ;o)

Smeltsmoke
M
Mikey
Jun 13, 2004
On 2004-06-13 04:09:55 -0400, "Grey" said:

Graham

The first step is to select the hair. That’s not super easy, but it’s not impossible. In the User Guide is an example of how to do a selection as complex as hair; in the example it’s actually buffalo fur. This will take some experimentation with the options, but be thankful that it’s v7 – there was a time when you’d have to paint the selection pixel-by-pixel.

After that, it’s really a matter of what kind of blonde you want the hair to be. I’d take a look at some pictures, and really concentrate on the highlights. Black is pretty tough to start with; as in real life, you can often end up with platinum or straw. Probably the best bet is a dirty blonde, with highlights.

If I were doing this, I’d first spread the levels out, so that you have some space to work with. Then I’d either use the color balance or the hue controls to change the black to a brown hue. Think of these as your roots. Then adjust the mids and highs to give some blonde highlights. It will be tricky to determine how much brown, yellow, and white-highlight to mix in. That’s why the images will help. In fact a histogram of a scanned image isn’t a bad idea.

No sig, no neuroses
G
Grey
Jun 13, 2004
"William R. Altman" wrote in message
don’t know how to change hair color, but I can chnaging hait colour

Okay, okay. I know. Shouldn’t post messages before the coffee has had time to work.

Graham

Graham

G
Grey
Jun 13, 2004
"Mikey" wrote in message
On 2004-06-13 04:09:55 -0400, "Grey" said:

Graham

The first step is to select the hair. That’s not super easy, but it’s not impossible. In the User Guide is an example of how to do a selection as complex as hair; in the example it’s actually buffalo fur. This will take some experimentation with the options, but be thankful that it’s v7 – there was a time when you’d have to paint the selection pixel-by-pixel.

After that, it’s really a matter of what kind of blonde you want the hair to be. I’d take a look at some pictures, and really concentrate on the highlights. Black is pretty tough to start with; as in real life, you can often end up with platinum or straw. Probably the best bet is a dirty blonde, with highlights.

If I were doing this, I’d first spread the levels out, so that you have some space to work with. Then I’d either use the color balance or the hue controls to change the black to a brown hue. Think of these as your roots. Then adjust the mids and highs to give some blonde highlights. It will be tricky to determine how much brown, yellow, and white-highlight to mix in. That’s why the images will help. In fact a histogram of a scanned image isn’t a bad idea.

I suspected the worst part would be the selection. But suppose I have an area of the image where all the black is hair. Is there an easy way to select that colour and make it a selection. I have a second image of a person with the colour hair I want to use. Can I "pick" that up and brush over it?

Graham

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections