SZ
Posted By
Scott Zabolotzky
Feb 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I use Photoshop to do a simple edit (red-eye removal, color balance, etc) of an image from my digital camera, everything looks great when I view the resulting image in Photoshop. If I use an old version of ACDSee, however, it looks very washed out. I’m assuming that Photoshop is doing something with ICM and ACDSee doesn’t support it. Normally I’d just find an image viewer that does support it, however, when I order a print from KodakGallery it also appears washed out as if they ignore the embedded ICM data in the image.

Of course, I know NOTHING about ICM so I could be completely off-base as far as what is causing my problem.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks…Scott

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Feb 6, 2006
Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

If I use Photoshop to do a simple edit (red-eye removal, color balance, etc) of an image from my digital camera, everything looks great when I view the resulting image in Photoshop. If I use an old version of ACDSee, however, it looks very washed out. I’m assuming that Photoshop is doing something with ICM and ACDSee doesn’t support it. Normally I’d just find an image viewer that does support it, however, when I order a print from KodakGallery it also appears washed out as if they ignore the embedded ICM data in the image.

Of course, I know NOTHING about ICM so I could be completely off-base as far as what is causing my problem.

You are using AdobeRGB color space in Photoshop, and your version of ACDSee doesn’t support this so it shows the colors as sRGB. Same for your KodakGallery. Before you order prints, choose ‘Convert to profile’ and convert the images to sRGB. That will solve your problem. Consider setting your camera to sRGB, so you don’t have these problems to begin with.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
SZ
Scott Zabolotzky
Feb 7, 2006
(Johan W. Elzenga) writes:

Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

You are using AdobeRGB color space in Photoshop, and your version of ACDSee doesn’t support this so it shows the colors as sRGB. Same for your KodakGallery. Before you order prints, choose ‘Convert to profile’ and convert the images to sRGB. That will solve your problem. Consider setting your camera to sRGB, so you don’t have these problems to begin with.

Here are the PS color settings:

Working Space
RGB: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Color Mgt Policies
RGB: Preserve Embedded profiles
Profile Mismatches: Ask When Opening = true, Ask When Pasting = true Missing Profiles: Ask When Opening = true

Shoould I be setting these to something different?

Scott
N
nomail
Feb 7, 2006
Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

Working Space

Color Mgt Policies
Profile Mismatches: Ask When Opening = true, Ask When Pasting = true Missing Profiles: Ask When Opening = true

Should I be setting these to something different?

Not necessarily, but it does explain your problem. By using ‘Preserve Embedded Profiles’ you keep images in their ‘native’ color space, even if that color space is not your working space. By itself, that is a good setting, but it means that if you have set your camera to AdobeRGB, your images will still be AdobeRGB.

The solution is to use ‘Convert to Profile’ and convert to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if you want to place an image on the web or use a web printingf service. Alternatively, you could change the color space setting in your digital camera and set that to sRGB. It is probably set to AdobeRGB right now.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
CJ
C J Southern
Feb 8, 2006
Scott,

Do you get a "profile mis-match" warning when you open photos with this configuration?
SZ
Scott Zabolotzky
Feb 8, 2006

Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

Working Space

Color Mgt Policies

Not necessarily, but it does explain your problem. By using ‘Preserve Embedded Profiles’ you keep images in their ‘native’ color space, even if that color space is not your working space. By itself, that is a good setting, but it means that if you have set your camera to AdobeRGB, your images will still be AdobeRGB.

The solution is to use ‘Convert to Profile’ and convert to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if you want to place an image on the web or use a web printingf service. Alternatively, you could change the color space setting in your digital camera and set that to sRGB. It is probably set to AdobeRGB right now.

Since there doesn’t appear to be a way to set the color space used by my digital camera (Canon Powershot S40) I guess I’ll have to try the "Convert to Profile" option.

Scott
SZ
Scott Zabolotzky
Feb 8, 2006
"C J Southern" writes:

Scott,

Do you get a "profile mis-match" warning when you open photos with this configuration?

No.
N
nomail
Feb 8, 2006
Scott Zabolotzky wrote:

Working Space

Color Mgt Policies

Since there doesn’t appear to be a way to set the color space used by my digital camera (Canon Powershot S40) I guess I’ll have to try the "Convert to Profile" option.

Hm. I doubt that this camera shoots in AdobeRGB, and you said that you do not get the ‘Profile Mismatch’ warning upon opening files from the camera, so that is another indication that it doesn’t use AdobeRGB. That’s strange, because the symptoms are very typical for a wider color space used. Try converting anyway and see what happens, it can’t hurt.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections