how can i split an image into seperate photos?

N
Posted By
Nikko
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just scanned a bunch of pictures and to save time, did three at a once. Now I need to cut them up into individual pictures. Is there an easy way into Photoshop to do this? Most of them are the same size, so if there is a way of running a bunch of them through at once, that would be great. I also have a few where the pictures are different sizes and shapes, so I need to be able to do those manually. What function should I use to do that?

I’m using Photoshop 6.0 and the files are in the TIFF format, should that matter.

Thanks for your help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BF
Bob Flint
Jun 10, 2004
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:16:22 GMT, "Nikko" wrote:

I just scanned a bunch of pictures and to save time, did three at a once. Now I need to cut them up into individual pictures. Is there an easy way into Photoshop to do this? Most of them are the same size, so if there is a way of running a bunch of them through at once, that would be great. I also have a few where the pictures are different sizes and shapes, so I need to be able to do those manually. What function should I use to do that?
I’m using Photoshop 6.0 and the files are in the TIFF format, should that matter.

Thanks for your help.

You can do it by hand each time like this:

Load a picture into Photoshop

Pick the ‘Rectangular Marquee Tool’

Draw a box around the image you want

Press CTRL and C keys on the keyboard (or pick ‘COPY’ from the EDIT menu.)

Pick ‘New From Clipboard’ on the FILE menu

save the new pic that is created

repeat for each image – it goes pretty fast!

I don’t know if there is any automatic way to do this.
F
Frank ess
Jun 10, 2004
Nikko wrote:

Thanks for your help.

There is " a rat" in separate.
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 11, 2004
There cannot be an automatic way…too many variables.

Been there….your way with the Marquee Tool is second best….best is to scan them right in the first place. I bet you didn’t sort by contrast or anything….so the scans could have been better.

"Bob Flint" wrote in message
I just scanned a bunch of pictures and to save time, did three at a once. Now I need to cut them up into individual pictures. Is there an easy way into Photoshop to do this? Most of them are the same size, so if there
is a
way of running a bunch of them through at once, that would be great. I
also
have a few where the pictures are different sizes and shapes, so I need
to
be able to do those manually. What function should I use to do that?

Thanks for your help.

RH
Ron Hunter
Jun 11, 2004
Nikko wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Look in the manual for the use of the crop tool. Simply crop the part you want to save, save it with a unique filename, then ‘revert’ to the original image for the next crop.
F
Frogiswrong
Jun 11, 2004
file, automate, crop and straighten. very automated & very good. PSCS only i think.

"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message

Been there….your way with the Marquee Tool is second best….best is to scan them right in the first place. I bet you didn’t sort by contrast or anything….so the scans could have been better.

"Bob Flint" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:16:22 GMT, "Nikko"
wrote:
I just scanned a bunch of pictures and to save time, did three at a
once.
Now I need to cut them up into individual pictures. Is there an easy
way
into Photoshop to do this? Most of them are the same size, so if there
is a
also
have a few where the pictures are different sizes and shapes, so I need
to
be able to do those manually. What function should I use to do that?
I’m using Photoshop 6.0 and the files are in the TIFF format, should
that
matter.

Thanks for your help.

Press CTRL and C keys on the keyboard (or pick ‘COPY’ from the EDIT
menu.)

L
Lionel
Jun 11, 2004
Kibo informs me that (TheNewsGuy(Mike)) stated
that:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:44:34 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Look in the manual for the use of the crop tool. Simply crop the part you want to save, save it with a unique filename, then ‘revert’ to the original image for the next crop.

That sounds a lot easier than opening a new file first so I tried it. After saving the cropped portion, the [Revert] command in my File menu was ghosted out. Why could I not "revert"?

The ‘revert’ command resets the current image to the most recent version on disk. When you save your image, that’s the version that ‘revert’ will go back to. The ‘revert’ commond is grayed out when there’s no difference between the saved version & the one on screen. (ie; when there’s no point in doing a revert.)

W
. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
\|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est —^—-^————————————————— ————
T
tnguymNoSpamm
Jun 11, 2004
wrote:

That sounds a lot easier than opening a new file first so I tried it. After saving the cropped portion, the [Revert] command in my File menu was ghosted out. Why could I not "revert"?

Thanks,

Mike

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) – Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+ All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MM
Marvin Margoshes
Jun 11, 2004
"Nikko" wrote in message
I just scanned a bunch of pictures and to save time, did three at a once. Now I need to cut them up into individual pictures. Is there an easy way into Photoshop to do this? Most of them are the same size, so if there is
a
also
have a few where the pictures are different sizes and shapes, so I need to be able to do those manually. What function should I use to do that?

Thanks for your help.

I can do that easily in Paint Shop Pro. Just use the Selection tool to mark one photo, copy, and paste as a new image. But every time I try it, I find that it takes more time than to scan each photo individually.
F
Frank ess
Jun 11, 2004
Marvin Margoshes wrote:
"Nikko" wrote in message

Thanks for your help.

I can do that easily in Paint Shop Pro. Just use the Selection tool to mark one photo, copy, and paste as a new image. But every time I try it, I find that it takes more time than to scan each photo individually.

I quit scanning more than one image at a time when it became clear to me that at least one of the scans would be misaligned,
AND I realized that in order to square it up post-scan, every picture element would have to be relocated.

For some work, that’s no big deal; however, for the most part it is worth expending the few seconds it takes to do your orienting on the scanner bed. An undisturbed pixel is a happier pixel.

Frank ess
W
Wally
Jun 12, 2004
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:03:39 GMT, "Gene Palmiter" wrote:

In the old days, it took so long to scan things, I used to try to select pics that looked the same so I could scan them together!

Now I’m glad I have a fast scanner!
S
stewy
Jun 12, 2004
"Lionel" wrote in message
Kibo informs me that (TheNewsGuy(Mike)) stated
that:

wrote:

The ‘revert’ command resets the current image to the most recent version on disk. When you save your image, that’s the version that ‘revert’ will go back to. The ‘revert’ commond is grayed out when there’s no difference between the saved version & the one on screen. (ie; when there’s no point in doing a revert.)
Another, perhaps easier way is to use the Duplicate <Image – Duplicate>

Then crop and save each image. This way you’re working on a copy, not the original. I’m sure we’ve all clicked Save when we should have clicked SaveAs sometime with inconvenient if not disasterous results.
TB
the_bulldog
Jun 25, 2004
In article ,
says…

Thanks for your help.

You can create an Action, setting an F-key, for the New From Clipboard to save some time. Since not all of ganged images are the same size, you might want to get those that are into one area, set the Marquee Tool to the size that you want for them, so you you don’t have to drag-to-size. You’ll want to change it back, when you get to the odd-sized photos.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections