Posted By
rugbyphoto
Jan 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a tricky image I need to create:

I need to photograph a person doing a cartwheel. The exposure needs to show the person in motion but with three distinct renderings of the body – at left of the frame in a strating position – at center with body inverted in the motion and – at the right edge of the frame at rest.

Would the best bet be multiple exposure with Photoshop blur, long exposure with stroboscopic flash or seconf curtain flash?

Garry
www.rugbyphoto.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Brian
Jan 28, 2006
rugbyphoto wrote:

I need to photograph a person doing a cartwheel. The exposure needs to show the person in motion but with three distinct renderings of the body – at left of the frame in a strating position – at center with body inverted in the motion and – at the right edge of the frame at rest.

Would the best bet be multiple exposure with Photoshop blur, long exposure with stroboscopic flash or seconf curtain flash?
Garry
www.rugbyphoto.com

Hi Garry,

I don’t think second curtain sync is going to do anything for you here. You will get one burst of flash (one shot) just before the shutter closes. Using the strobe flash and long exposure will work if you know what you are doing. You will need a plain, or very dark background (or shoot at night, in a dark room, etc).

Taking several shots with the camera on a tripod (and don’t change its position between shots) and then putting them together in PS is a better alternative actually. You can take as many images as necessary, and as long as the subject does each cartwheel in the same line of direction each time, it will be pretty easy to pull off. Just keep repeating the exercise until you get 3 perfect images (one in each position) and composite them in PS. This can be done in broad daylight.

A third alternative, if you have a decent motordrive, would be to try and get the 3 images in the one burst. Tell your subject to do the cartwheel fairly slowly and set your drive at 5fps or higher, if you have this facility. You may have to repeat several times, but you will get there. Once again, this can be done in daylight/outdoors if so desired.

Regards,
Brian.
AM
any mouse
Jan 28, 2006
Use a Digital camera on video or a DV camera and then use Image ready to edit the frames you require.

Duncan

"rugbyphoto" wrote in message

Garry
www.rugbyphoto.com
R
rugbyphoto
Jan 30, 2006
Brian,

Many thanks I will try that.
R
rugbyphoto
Jan 30, 2006
Duncan,

Unfortunately I do not have video. Thanks for the input though.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections