L
Posted By
Lunaray
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I think I’ve asked this question before but I can’t remember the answer, would someone be kind enough to help!

After doing lots work in Photoshop (scanning, image manipulation, etc.) my computer begins to get real sluggish, and the only way I can bring it back to full speed is to do a restart. I have 512 megs of ram and I never get an ‘out of memory/low memory’ warning, can someone tell me what might be going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Ray

_______
www.rayspace.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NE
no_email
Jun 8, 2004
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:50:00 -0700, "Lunaray"
wrote:

I think I’ve asked this question before but I can’t remember the answer, would someone be kind enough to help!

After doing lots work in Photoshop (scanning, image manipulation, etc.) my computer begins to get real sluggish, and the only way I can bring it back to full speed is to do a restart. I have 512 megs of ram and I never get an ‘out of memory/low memory’ warning, can someone tell me what might be going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Ray

_______
www.rayspace.com
How is your scratch disk set up?

Smeltsmoke
L
Lunaray
Jun 8, 2004
I was afraid someone might ask me something like this πŸ™‚ It is set up however it gets set up by default when you install the program, and I do remember seeing a warning suggesting that the scratch disk should be on another drive, other than the ‘C’ drive, but I just ignored it. Is this maybe my problem?
J
Jim
Jun 8, 2004
"Lunaray" wrote in message
I was afraid someone might ask me something like this πŸ™‚ It is set up however it gets set up by default when you install the program, and I do remember seeing a warning suggesting that the scratch disk should be on another drive, other than the ‘C’ drive, but I just ignored it. Is this maybe my problem?
Perhaps. If having the PS scratch directory on the system disks causes the system disk to become
seriously fragmented, then performance will suffer until you defragment the disk.

Jim
NE
no_email
Jun 8, 2004
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:14:32 -0700, "Lunaray"
wrote:

Jim answered, but I would also look into Memory and image cache, my Mem usage is set at 70% and I avoid running other apps at the same time.

Smeltsmoke
L
Lunaray
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks again! I did check my cache and it was set to 50% so I changed it to 75%, I also set up my scratch disk so that it’s on my back up drive (F), hopefully the changes will solve my problem! I de-fragged too!

"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

Jim answered, but I would also look into Memory and image cache, my Mem usage is set at 70% and I avoid running other apps at the same time.

Smeltsmoke
S
studio
Jun 8, 2004
Just reboot.

in article , Lunaray at
wrote on 06/08/2004 2:00 PM:

Thanks again! I did check my cache and it was set to 50% so I changed it to 75%, I also set up my scratch disk so that it’s on my back up drive (F), hopefully the changes will solve my problem! I de-fragged too!

wrote:

Smeltsmoke

L
Lunaray
Jun 8, 2004
That’s sort of like Nancy Reagan’s answer for the homeless: "Just get a house"

"
M
MrFrings
Jun 8, 2004
Well if it works, do it.

in article , Lunaray at
wrote on 06/08/2004 3:18 PM:

That’s sort of like Nancy Reagan’s answer for the homeless: "Just get a house"

"·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·" wrote in message
Just reboot.

Y
Your-nice
Jun 9, 2004
why not set it to 100% I have ps5.5 set that way as windows takes what it wants anyway, or am I missing something .

wrote:

Smeltsmoke
L
Lunaray
Jun 9, 2004
Well duh, I don’t know; I guess I figured that if I set it to 100% it might make something else crash that needs memory? But maybe you’re right! I’ll just wait to see if the changes I’ve made so far will improve things, before I try anything else.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections