Posted By
phoney.email
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Version 6.

I ran some tests by creating two images: one white and one black. Next, I selected a small area of one and copied it to the other.

Now then, without Feather the border between the copied and underlying color was solid, as expected, i.e. instant transition from white to black.

However, once I applied Feather the number of affected pixels for the transition was not what I expected! For example:

Feather: 1 – took 6 pixels to go from pure black to pure white Feather: 2 – resulted in transition needing 10 pixels
Feather: 3 – took 14, and so on…

I would’ve expected a feather of 1 to take, well… 1 pixel. I could also understand if Feather of 1 resulted in a 2-pixel transition: 1 on the white side and 1 on the black. But 6!?

What’s going on here?

Don.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PE
phoney.email
Jun 4, 2004
Anyone?

Version 6.

I ran some tests by creating two images: one white and one black. Next, I selected a small area of one and copied it to the other.
Now then, without Feather the border between the copied and underlying color was solid, as expected, i.e. instant transition from white to black.

However, once I applied Feather the number of affected pixels for the transition was not what I expected! For example:

Feather: 1 – took 6 pixels to go from pure black to pure white Feather: 2 – resulted in transition needing 10 pixels

I would’ve expected a feather of 1 to take, well… 1 pixel. I could also understand if Feather of 1 resulted in a 2-pixel transition: 1 on the white side and 1 on the black. But 6!?

What’s going on here?

Don.
F
fauxbrick2
Jun 4, 2004
its because of the gaussian bell routine used in calculating the feather.Without it the blend would be jaggy.You can count on each unit of feather radius taking 2.7 pixels in and 2.7 pixels out from the selection .

(Don) wrote in message news:…
Version 6.

What’s going on here?

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Jun 5, 2004
Excellent! Thank you!

Don.

On 4 Jun 2004 15:48:30 -0700, (peccavi) wrote:

its because of the gaussian bell routine used in calculating the feather.Without it the blend would be jaggy.You can count on each unit of feather radius taking 2.7 pixels in and 2.7 pixels out from the selection .

(Don) wrote in message news:…
Version 6.

What’s going on here?

Don.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections