LO
Posted By
Luis ORTEGA
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My understanding is that since a digital slr sensor is smaller than the area of a 35mm negative on some digital slrs (say the nikon d70), then using a lens designed for a film slr would tend to produce a better image since most lenses are best in the central part of their image area and that is the part of the image that would be captured on the digital sensor. does this theory make sense, or is it correct?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
Jim
May 24, 2004
"Luis ORTEGA" wrote in message
My understanding is that since a digital slr sensor is smaller than the
area
of a 35mm negative on some digital slrs (say the nikon d70), then using a lens designed for a film slr would tend to produce a better image since
most
lenses are best in the central part of their image area and that is the
part
of the image that would be captured on the digital sensor. does this theory make sense, or is it correct?
Such a lens will produce a better image in the digital slrs than it will on a film camera for the reason you gave.
Whether it will produce a better image than one designed for the smaller image circle of the digital slr is an
open question. One other consideration is that lenses for the digital format should be sharper than one for a film
format since digital images are enlarged more.

Jim
KB
Ken Burns
May 24, 2004
There are certain lens aberations such as light fall-off and chromatic aberations that are a greater issue with digital than with film. Whether using only the central portion of the image would solve these issues or not would probably vary from lens to lens. I sort of doubt that there is a definite yes or no answer.

KB

"Luis ORTEGA" wrote in message
My understanding is that since a digital slr sensor is smaller than the
area
of a 35mm negative on some digital slrs (say the nikon d70), then using a lens designed for a film slr would tend to produce a better image since
most
lenses are best in the central part of their image area and that is the
part
of the image that would be captured on the digital sensor. does this theory make sense, or is it correct?

RF
Robert Feinman
May 25, 2004
In article <Nrqsc.55$ says…
My understanding is that since a digital slr sensor is smaller than the area of a 35mm negative on some digital slrs (say the nikon d70), then using a lens designed for a film slr would tend to produce a better image since most lenses are best in the central part of their image area and that is the part of the image that would be captured on the digital sensor. does this theory make sense, or is it correct?
In spite of the claims being made by the camera and lens makers about "digital" lenses, the limiting factor in the resolution of a typical 35mm or smaller image is the film or sensor. It’s possible that with extreme wide angle lenses used on full-sized sensors there will be a more pronounced light fall off in the corners. But that is about the only case where the new designs will perform visibly better. The new lens designs allow for smaller and/or cheaper lenses since they need to cover a smaller image circle. If you already have good quality lenses that fit your digital camera keep using them and save your money.

Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections