Posted By
neon
Dec 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mozart wrote:

I am using a Compaq nc6230 notebook with 1Gig RAM and Windows XP Pro, virtual memory is managed by the system and using Photoshop CS2.
I found that all my physical memory are all being eaten after i open Photoshop until my pc got hang. I need to end "photoshop" task and all memory will be released again. You may see the attached picture to see the Task Manager.

Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks!!
first course of action whenever photoshop misbehaves is to trash the preferences file. if that doesn’t help try reducing the ram allocated to photoshop in steps of 5% down to 50-55%. make sure you shut down ps after each reduction. i make no guarantees, but, these are 2 quick and easy things to try. you can also try searching the adobe user forums fo r help
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Husky
Dec 27, 2005
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:33:22 +0800, "Mozart" wrote:

I am using a Compaq nc6230 notebook with 1Gig RAM and Windows XP Pro, virtual memory is managed by the system and using Photoshop CS2.
I found that all my physical memory are all being eaten after i open Photoshop until my pc got hang. I need to end "photoshop" task and all memory will be released again. You may see the attached picture to see the Task Manager.

The biggest glaring point is you say you have 1 gig ram, but task manager, and therefore the OS itself is only seeing 500 megs.
Total memory should show 1 gig no matter what’s running.. PS starting up shouldn’t have any effect on total memory.

One or more processes is eating up everything. 58% usage. I normally run at 1-10% usage. I also have 1 gig ram. But I don’t think the amount of ram has anything to do with usage. Is your page file system managed, or set to a permanent setting ? Reason I ask, is I’ve seen that particular setting change after I’d set it. If PS is running, is the work disk different from the boot disk ? Guess not, not much room for many drives in a laptop. Maybe 1 large drive with 2 different partitions could cure this allowing a separate drive for other uses.

I can’t duplicate your usage even with pscs2 running with a file in memory, and task manager running. It almost reaches 596 meg page file, but stops about 30 megs shy, and usage is still hovering around 6%.
I would say check the processes tab on task manager and see what’s eating everything up. Check all users and see if you haven’t picked up a hitchhiker.

With power off, you might try and reseat the chips. (not remove, that could cause real trouble), but push them into the sockets if they seem to be loose. Static discharge yourself 1st. Or use something wooden to press down on the chips. pop sickle sticks, actually a wooden pencil would not be a good idea, they have a very good conductor running right thru the center of them.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
K
KatWoman
Dec 27, 2005
"Mozart" wrote in message

I would check those 46 processes first.
I am using 1 GB ram and the CPU jumps to 30 when using some filters. Otherwise it’s at about 2-5% using CS
Intel P4 3.0 chip
M
Mozart
Dec 31, 2005
I tried to adjust the memory, page file, and scratch disk, unfortunately, the memory leaking problem is still there. Is there any bug on Photoshop CS2? How should I fix the memory leaking issue? With many thanks!!

I
Ian
Jan 3, 2006
How much RAM (real, not virtual) do you have to start with? What percentage of that memory have you made available to Photoshop?
Ian
I tried to adjust the memory, page file, and scratch disk, unfortunately, the memory leaking problem is still there. Is there any bug on Photoshop CS2? How should I fix the memory leaking issue? With many thanks!!

B
Boskey
Jan 3, 2006

Have you did a you checked the processes running in Windows Task Manager before running CS2? Then recheck after opening CS2? Sounds like something is running in the background or a bug has attached itself to a .exe or image file in your system.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections