D
Posted By
dwolf
May 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here’s a picture which I shrunk for this post… but is 7 inches wide and would love to make it about 11 inches… It’s 72 dpi… So I was hoping for some good instructions on how to go about this.. thanks Jojo

Lets try this again…. I added an attachment to my last post, and I guess that’s a no no… I couldn’t find the exact photo I have but here’s one similar
http://www.georgejgoodstadt.com/goodstadt/HirschfeldCasablan ca.html

So I’m trying to print, just for myself a larger copy for my wall ……

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TD
The Doormouse
May 22, 2004
"dwolf" wrote:

If you were trying to enlarge one of my illustrations without buying it, I would be disappointed.

Support the Arts – pay for it!

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
D
dwolf
May 22, 2004
If I were to hang one of your illustrations is my dusty woodshop you should be at least a little honored…
"The Doormouse" wrote in message
"dwolf" wrote:

If you were trying to enlarge one of my illustrations without buying it, I would be disappointed.

Support the Arts – pay for it!

The Doormouse

V
Voivod
May 23, 2004
On Sat, 22 May 2004 19:06:06 -0400, "dwolf"
scribbled:

If I were to hang one of your illustrations is my dusty woodshop you should be at least a little honored…

He should be honored because you didn’t want to pay for what you use?
GP
Gene Palmiter
May 23, 2004
I get really pissed when someone copies my work…I don’t charge much so they have to be real cheap to not pay what I ask. But that site doesn’t even post prices! What is that about?

OK…as a technical question I will have a go at it. Line art gets fuzzy when enlarged. That is because of antialiasing. PS puts gray pixels to smooth out the enlarged black pixels. (That is a real quick and dirty explanation.) Lets see how many ways I can think of to deal with it.

1. First I would try CorelTrace. This program comes with CorelDraw and traces out the lines and objects of a graphic. It can save as an Illustrator file (vector), and is great for dealing with things like logos that should have been created with Illustrator in the first place. While CorelTrace might do the job…it might not be perfect because of the way the lines intersect in the hair and sweater.

2. Genuine Fractals plug-in for PS is intended for continuous tone art. It works by finding areas of high contrast and preserving them as vectors…see the word vector coming up a lot? Don’t know what it will do with line art…but the principle is right…worth a try.

3. Thy resizing the graphic a couple of percentage points at a time until you get to the size you want. Do some sharpening (unsharp mask, etc.)…see what happens if you change the mode to bitmap. There is a plug-in to automate this process.

"dwolf" wrote in message
Here’s a picture which I shrunk for this post… but is 7 inches wide and would love to make it about 11 inches… It’s 72 dpi… So I was hoping
for
some good instructions on how to go about this.. thanks Jojo
Lets try this again…. I added an attachment to my last post, and I guess that’s a no no… I couldn’t find the exact photo I have but here’s one similar
TD
The Doormouse
May 23, 2004
"Gene Palmiter" wrote:

I get really pissed when someone copies my work…I don’t charge much so they have to be real cheap to not pay what I ask. But that site doesn’t even post prices! What is that about?

The artists listed on the site have produced so much work that the site actually sells catalogs of their work. Hirschfeld is very well known for producing excellent caricatures of famous people. Even a copy of his illustrations – well, browsing elsewhere, run for $1200 … http://www.entertainmentgalleries.com/shopexd.asp?id=73

If you need a price up front, you cannot afford it … =)

The Doormouse

D
dwolf
May 23, 2004
Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it on "my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ? "Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
I get really pissed when someone copies my work…I don’t charge much so they have to be real cheap to not pay what I ask. But that site doesn’t
even
post prices! What is that about?

OK…as a technical question I will have a go at it. Line art gets fuzzy when enlarged. That is because of antialiasing. PS puts gray pixels to smooth out the enlarged black pixels. (That is a real quick and dirty explanation.) Lets see how many ways I can think of to deal with it.
1. First I would try CorelTrace. This program comes with CorelDraw and traces out the lines and objects of a graphic. It can save as an
Illustrator
file (vector), and is great for dealing with things like logos that should have been created with Illustrator in the first place. While CorelTrace might do the job…it might not be perfect because of the way the lines intersect in the hair and sweater.

2. Genuine Fractals plug-in for PS is intended for continuous tone art. It works by finding areas of high contrast and preserving them as
vectors…see
the word vector coming up a lot? Don’t know what it will do with line art…but the principle is right…worth a try.

3. Thy resizing the graphic a couple of percentage points at a time until you get to the size you want. Do some sharpening (unsharp mask,
etc.)…see
what happens if you change the mode to bitmap. There is a plug-in to automate this process.

"dwolf" wrote in message
Here’s a picture which I shrunk for this post… but is 7 inches wide
and
would love to make it about 11 inches… It’s 72 dpi… So I was hoping
for
Lets try this again…. I added an attachment to my last post, and I
guess
that’s a no no… I couldn’t find the exact photo I have but here’s one similar

D
dwolf
May 23, 2004
Forgetaboutit… Let’s just end this discussion… thanks J "dwolf" wrote in message
Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it on "my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ? "Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
I get really pissed when someone copies my work…I don’t charge much so they have to be real cheap to not pay what I ask. But that site doesn’t
even

1. First I would try CorelTrace. This program comes with CorelDraw and traces out the lines and objects of a graphic. It can save as an
Illustrator
file (vector), and is great for dealing with things like logos that
should
have been created with Illustrator in the first place. While CorelTrace might do the job…it might not be perfect because of the way the lines intersect in the hair and sweater.

2. Genuine Fractals plug-in for PS is intended for continuous tone art.
It
works by finding areas of high contrast and preserving them as
vectors…see
the word vector coming up a lot? Don’t know what it will do with line art…but the principle is right…worth a try.

3. Thy resizing the graphic a couple of percentage points at a time
until
you get to the size you want. Do some sharpening (unsharp mask,
etc.)…see
what happens if you change the mode to bitmap. There is a plug-in to automate this process.

"dwolf" wrote in message
and
would love to make it about 11 inches… It’s 72 dpi… So I was
hoping
for
guess
that’s a no no… I couldn’t find the exact photo I have but here’s
one
similar
So I’m trying to print, just for myself a larger copy for my wall
…….

V
Voivod
May 23, 2004
On Sun, 23 May 2004 09:30:51 -0400, "dwolf"
scribbled:

Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it on "my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ?

No.
D
dwolf
May 23, 2004
He without sin among you, cast the first stone – John 8:7 "Voivod" wrote in message
scribbled:

Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it on "my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ?

No.
V
Voivod
May 23, 2004
On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:58:18 -0400, "dwolf"
scribbled:

He without sin among you, cast the first stone – John 8:7

I love you and your God – Voivod 1:1

"Voivod" wrote in message
scribbled:

No.
D
dwolf
May 23, 2004
Actually I’m a non believer…. So you may fuck me, but my god….hmmmm don’t got one.. But you sure sound like a mighty being…

scribbled:

scribbled:

Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it
on
"my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ?

No.
V
Voivod
May 23, 2004
On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:23:47 -0400, "dwolf"
scribbled:

Actually I’m a non believer…. So you may fuck me, but my god….hmmmm don’t got one.. But you sure sound like a mighty being…

So you’re a non-believer misquoting the bible as part of your argument?

scribbled:

scribbled:

Ok… I bought two t-shirts ( official ) with this exact Hirshfeld design… "True " and now I want to scan the design just to hang it
on
"my" wall… Now does that make me an okay person here ?

No.
GP
Gene Palmiter
May 23, 2004
So…there is your "out"…frame the tee shirt.

"dwolf" wrote in message
even

Illustrator
file (vector), and is great for dealing with things like logos that
should
have been created with Illustrator in the first place. While CorelTrace might do the job…it might not be perfect because of the way the lines intersect in the hair and sweater.

2. Genuine Fractals plug-in for PS is intended for continuous tone art.
It
works by finding areas of high contrast and preserving them as
vectors…see

3. Thy resizing the graphic a couple of percentage points at a time
until
you get to the size you want. Do some sharpening (unsharp mask,
etc.)…see

"dwolf" wrote in message
and
would love to make it about 11 inches… It’s 72 dpi… So I was
hoping
for
guess
that’s a no no… I couldn’t find the exact photo I have but here’s
one
similar
So I’m trying to print, just for myself a larger copy for my wall
…….

TD
The Doormouse
May 24, 2004
"dwolf" wrote:

All the Catholics believe that you can be forgiven – same with the Born Agains – so be prepared to be pelted with rocks!

=D

The Doormouse

S
Stephan
May 25, 2004
scribbled:

Amen

Stephan
F
free-ugo
May 26, 2004
scribbled:

No.

And in the case I take a photo of the t.shirt and hang an enlargement on my office wall?
I know some well known touristic towns ask a copyright fee for every image distributed for commercial use, but I think to be free to hang a photo of a Coke bottle where I wish (eventually I’ll ask some money for the ad…:-) )

ued

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections