DB
Posted By
Dave B
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a wierd problem that I think a re-install may help. My question is – am I going to lose all my settings (workspaces, actions, etc.). I’m especially concerned about losing my actions…

Thanks!

Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TD
The Doormouse
May 19, 2004
"Dave B" wrote:

I’m having a wierd problem that I think a re-install may help. My question is – am I going to lose all my settings (workspaces, actions, etc.). I’m especially concerned about losing my actions…

Dave,

I have a couple questions …

Which version of PS are you using?

If you can load or make actions, how did you avoid learning how to save them, too? Just curious.

What sort of "weird problem" are you having?

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
DB
Dave B
May 19, 2004
I’m using CS.

My Actions are saved, and I will probably back them up somewhere. But there is, no doubt, something I’m going to miss, so I’m wondering if things like that will be over-written during a reinstall.

The weird problem is the behaviors of my brushes. I asked a question about it a week ago, but didn’t get any answers: That question in it’s entirety is pasted below:

Thanks…

Here’s a weird problem. I downloaded some custom brushes the other day, didn’t like them, and deleted them. I went back to using the Basic Brushes palette, but they don’t work the same as before – they seem to be too strong now. For example, the sharpen tool at 10% used to be very subtle (as one would expect at 10%) but now at 10% it goes to that ugly over-pixelization very quickly – much more so than before. Or the Burn tool: At 10% it is lacking in any of it’s former subtlety – and at 100% it is down right obnoxious. Even the flow feels different…

I’ve already checked the obvious things:

Airbrush mode vs. normal mode
Using the tools at Shadow, highlight and midtone.
Checked the hardness of the brushes (not that that should effect brush strength)

I’ve been using Photoshop quite awhile now, and I don’t think it’s anything obvious. I’m not aware of any other settings that could have been changed, and I’m thinking that maybe something got corrupted (though I’ll be happy if someone points out something stupid and obvious just so I can have my old brush properties back… 🙂 )

Anyone experienced this…?

"The Doormouse" wrote in message
"Dave B" wrote:

Dave,

I have a couple questions …

Which version of PS are you using?

If you can load or make actions, how did you avoid learning how to save them, too? Just curious.

What sort of "weird problem" are you having?

The Doormouse

TD
The Doormouse
May 19, 2004
"Dave B" wrote:

I’m using CS.

Ah! Very nice … wish I had it. Still, I have soem ideas for you …

My Actions are saved, and I will probably back them up somewhere. But there is, no doubt, something I’m going to miss, so I’m wondering if things like that will be over-written during a reinstall.

I would copy curves and actions both, after doing an automated file search. Why guess, after all? Label a CD "PS Actions" …

CDs are cheap. Hope that helps a little bit at least.

The weird problem is the behaviors of my brushes. I asked a question about it a week ago, but didn’t get any answers: That question in it’s entirety is pasted below:

Thanks…

Hmm, I have PS 6 and Illy CS … here’s hoping that some of this advice will help you!

RE: the weird problem

1)Look at the color settings, maybe?
edit -> color settings

I would be surprised if this was it, but … maybe.

or

2)Redo Adobe Gamma? (again, this assumes a calibration issue)

or

Visit the adobe website and search their technical documents. It is very possible that there is some quirk listed in one of them that details your issue. There are forums, too. The forums have lots of dross, but some gold. You have a really odd problem.

AND

Get the latest patches!

Lastly:
* Did you de/select wet edges?
* change the brush mode?
* or the opacity?

Good luck =)

The Doormouse

E
edjh
May 19, 2004
Dave B wrote:

Thanks!

Dave
Save copies of all your Presets to another location or burn them to a disk before reinstalling. I don’t have CS but in 7 Workspaces are in the Application Data folder (in Win XP anyway).

Did you try resetting Preferences first? That often fixes things when they go wonky.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
DB
Dave B
May 20, 2004
Reinstalling apparently does NOT overwrite actions and other settings. Nor did it fix my problem, however… 🙂

"edjh" wrote in message
Dave B wrote:
I’m having a wierd problem that I think a re-install may help. My
question
is – am I going to lose all my settings (workspaces, actions, etc.). I’m especially concerned about losing my actions…

Thanks!

Dave
Save copies of all your Presets to another location or burn them to a disk before reinstalling. I don’t have CS but in 7 Workspaces are in the Application Data folder (in Win XP anyway).

Did you try resetting Preferences first? That often fixes things when they go wonky.

Comics art for sale:
E
edjh
May 20, 2004
Dave B wrote:

Reinstalling apparently does NOT overwrite actions and other settings. Nor did it fix my problem, however… 🙂

I say again: Reset preferences.

Comics art for sale:

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections