PR
Posted By
paulo_roche
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know how to do this effects and graphics. Looks like old paper. And the effects on the #21 and the text (GRAMS).
I would like to know if there is a tutorial out there and if someone can tell me where to find it. They often do movie posters like this …is there a tutorial on how to achieve this movie poster effects. Please let me know….and check the web address to see what is it I am asking….

Thanks a lot community!!!
Roche

<http://www.21-grams.com/index.php>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 24, 2004
What, again?
O
Ol__Whozit
Feb 24, 2004
This is not a tutorial index site.
This is an application user Forum, where we discuss issues and problems, not how you can imitate something you’ve seen on the web.

Do a web search for your own tutorial interests, that’s how most people do it.

And while you’re at it, do a search on Movie Poster composition. We don’t teach that here, either!

Start by reading your User Manual, and learn how to use all the tools in Photoshop. THEN, you won’t have to ask others to find your tutorials for you. You’ll know how to look for them yourself, and you will be able to look at the images you want to copy, and just KNOW how they were achieved, because you’ve seen similar results by learning how to use Photoshop.

You’re welcome,
The Community
I
ID._Awe
Feb 24, 2004
Paulo:

The simple way to do this is get a photo of the ‘background’ in the lettering and then use the lettering as a mask. There is a masking tutorial in Chapter Nine of the Photoshop 7 manual that will explain all you need, I would then proceed to Chapter 10 and puruse the information on layers. The same maksing tutorial section is in most of the Photoshop manuals, just a different chapter.

As per the ‘cranky old one’: Google is your friend. You will find many tutorials on the web for masking in Photoshop, it is a fairly standard technique at this stage in the game.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Feb 24, 2004
Paulo

It appears they took a gray scale image of wood and placed it within the type. You could do this simply by creating your text then grabbing a the texture you want to use (it could anything really, not just wood) and placing it in its own layer above the text. Next link and group these two layers and voila you have text with a texture in it.

For this poster you’d have to do this twice, once for the "21" and once for the "grams". Then you’d need to add a color overlay layer style set to color blend mode to the "21" to turn it red. The overall effect in this image is a bit more complicated than this but the general process works but you’d need to adjust it to your tastes.

Ol’ Whozit,

Don’t speak for me, thanks. I’m every bit a part of this community too and while I think this is a simple no-brainer process in Photoshop, not everyone shares my skill and knowledge with the application. I’m more than willing to share this knowledge with others if they ask in a polite manner as Paulo has done. In the future, refrain for speaking on behalf of others in such a rude manner. By the way, are you still trying to create your wireframe globe in Photoshop or did you finally realize how wrong you were and give up?
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 24, 2004
Ol’ Whoszit

I also would appreciate you not impersonating someone who speaks for the forum.

As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly legitimate for a user to ask on the forum for a tutorial. As has occurred, when one is not readily available, someone will often lead a person in the right way.

Sure, people can google for a tutorial. But asking here tends to cut through the chaff and direct one to a useful one.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 24, 2004
Ignore Oi whotzit Paulo, she must have dropped her dummy again. Ask what ever questions you like, if some one knows the answer they are mostly more happy to help.

get back in your cage whotzit.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 24, 2004
This resembles a technique I did for a screen printing job back before digital imaging.

If you have access to a photocopier and a scanner, you can get quite a bit of varying degrees of custom organic looking textures as described by using a graphite stick from an art supply store for example. Lay down a smooth swipe pattern and enlarge or play around with the copiers contrast and brightness buttons. Crumple up the paper to induce cracks in the toner, etc, etc.

There are all kinds of ways to play around with this technique to get the look you want. Once in PS you can apply masks.
PR
paulo_roche
Feb 24, 2004
Thank your guys very much for the support…I wont even mention and lower my standards to answer her useless comments. I just don’t understand one thing…like those 2 on the top. Why do u even bother to get into someone’s message and not do anything…just right garbage. If u can’t answer the question like u 2 didn’t (WHOZIT – and ROB something). JUST DON’T EVEN BOTHER…because u 2 are a waste of time.

Thanks again for the feedback guys…. I will take advantage of your good feedbacks. Paulo.
DL
Don_Lindberg
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks to all who told grumpy not to speak for them. While Paluo might have been a bit OT it is the help from others that this forum is all about. If grumpy sees a topic that he doesn’t like he can save space and band width by ignoring it.

Don Lindberg
AP
Alpha_Papa
Feb 25, 2004
Paulo I answered this once for you already. Do me the courtesy of checking your 1st thread.

Adam.
I
ID._Awe
Feb 25, 2004
Re: This Link <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2cd04224/0>

Obviously Rob picks and chooses who he will be polite to. Guess he woke up and realized he was a cranky ol’ bugger, seems to have returned to his better ways.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2004
Rob picks and chooses who he will be polite to

That is correct.

BTW, my #1 reply covered the fact that he asked this before, neglecting the answers he got. Nothing more, nothing less.

And don’t worry: when I’m in a bad mood, I won’t be on line at all. Haven’t been in a bad mood, however, since Monty Python’s Flying Circus was on (1960’s)

See ya, Rob
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Feb 25, 2004
Monty Python got you in a bad mood!??
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2004
Noooo!!

Maybe I formulaticaleted that wrong.
I meant, that since that was on, I haven’t been in a real bad mood. My life still has some momentum of it.

Rob
RH
r_harvey
Feb 25, 2004
As an outsider to this thread, I think the initial issue was the title: "Need Tutorial on this….." Some might respond with "And you are? And do you want me to read said tutorial to you? And do you want me to peel you a grape while I’m here?" It’s an etiquette issue on both sides.

So, on the one hand, the original poster could’ve first followed the "Click here <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#disclaimer> for advice on how to ask a question" link at the top of the main topic listing. And on the other hand, some others could lighten up.
G
graffiti
Feb 25, 2004
formulaticaleted

Wow! I fed that word into the Merriam/Webster online dictionary and it crashed their server.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2004
I fed that word into the Merriam/Webster online dictionary and it crashed their server

What, again?

Oops. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections