Can I have a layer mask affect another layer?

JD
Posted By
Jon Danniken
Dec 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I would like to make a layer mask with a locked position, and have this layer mask affect another layer that is not locked. The reason for this is that I would like to have the layer mask affect something that I am able to move around without moving around the layer mask..

I know I could just use "Paste Into", but I would like to know how to do this with a layer mask.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TE
Trace Elliot
Dec 9, 2005
Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make a layer mask with a locked position, and have this layer mask affect another layer that is not locked. The reason for this is that I would like to have the layer mask affect something that I am able to move around without moving around the layer mask..

I know I could just use "Paste Into", but I would like to know how to do this with a layer mask.

Jon
Between the thumbnail of the layer and the thumbnail of the mask here is a little ‘link’ icon. Click on that icon (so it disappears) to ‘unlink’ them. This way you can move the content of the layer without moving the mask.

HTH
TE
Trace Elliot
Dec 9, 2005
Trace Elliot wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

Hello,

I would like to make a layer mask with a locked position, and have this layer mask affect another layer that is not locked. The reason for this is
that I would like to have the layer mask affect something that I am able to
move around without moving around the layer mask..

Jon
Between the thumbnail of the layer and the thumbnail of the mask here is a little ‘link’ icon. Click on that icon (so it disappears) to ‘unlink’ them. This way you can move the content of the layer without moving the mask.

HTH

BTW you could also put the layer in a Group (I think that used to be a ‘Set’ in earlier versions of PS) and apply a mask to that group. That way you can have several (movable) layers in the same mask.
JD
Jon Danniken
Dec 9, 2005
"Trace Elliot" wrote:
Trace Elliot wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

Hello,

I would like to make a layer mask with a locked position, and have this layer mask affect another layer that is not locked. The reason for this is
that I would like to have the layer mask affect something that I am able to
move around without moving around the layer mask..

I know I could just use "Paste Into", but I would like to know how to
do
this with a layer mask.

Jon

HTH

BTW you could also put the layer in a Group (I think that used to be a ‘Set’ in earlier versions of PS) and apply a mask to that group. That way you can have several (movable) layers in the same mask.

Wow, thanks for both of those tips, Trace. I played around with both of them and they open up a lot of new possibilities for my work; thanks!

Jon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections