G
Posted By
geoffstandish
Feb 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Referring to the ruler at the top of Photoshop – Does anyone know how to drag the "O" so it can be seen to move into place as opposed to the drag and drop technique(if it aint in the right position you go back to square one and try it again…… and again…..)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 23, 2004
I’m sorry man, you’ll have to rephrase the question. What "O"? Better yet, what issue are you trying to resolve, maybe there’s a better way.

Peace,
Tony
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Feb 23, 2004
I concur. I’m very familiar with the rulers in PS and I have no idea what the "O" is. Please rephrase this question or, like Tony says, maybe tell us more directly what it is you’re trying to do.
P
Phosphor
Feb 23, 2004
Let me have a go at deciphering this:

Geoff:

Zoom into your image so the rulers show enough fractional increments to meet your needs.

Scroll the image in the document window using the Hand Tool so the point where you’d like the rulers’ x,y origin to be resituated is visible.

NOW click-n-drag from the upper-left origin box and place the intersection where you need it. You may want to keep an eye on the Info Palette, if that’ll help with the accuracy you need.
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Feb 23, 2004
Could he be referring to the zero on the upper left corner of any document, & how to move that? If you are Geoff, I don’t think there is a way to change that in Photoshop.

Anyway, to add to Phosphor’s post: If you hold down "shift" while dragging out guides, it snaps the guide to the divisions on the ruler that is displayed currently.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 24, 2004
With Rulers on (Ctrl + R), just click and hold on the dotted rectangle in the top left corner and drag the origin to where you want it.

Cheers – John
O
Ol__Whozit
Feb 24, 2004
The purpose of that little ‘o’, as you call it is to set the "zero points" of your document’s ruler to let you measure guide lines, which you drag from the top and side ruler, from a specific point on your image.

It is drag and drop, because you base it off of your image’s ruler, and it is usually used in conjunction with View>Snap to, and guides already dragged out (using the ruler to show you where) before you reset your Zero point…

Like many tools in Photoshop, it requires some skill to use it; but, if you know what you’re doing with it, and know where you want to put it, it’s not too difficult. If you’re resetting your zero point again and again, because you can’t set it properly, then you don’t know how to use the tool. Screwdrivers make lousy hammers, and visa versa…

And, of course, you’ll learn much more about using the tools when you take the time to check out the User Manual, or the help files.
G
geoffstandish
Feb 24, 2004
Dont Know about the states but back here in the old country we always set up any artwork with the zero in the middle of the "paper" so that the edges of the paper are (say) 4.5 inches to the left and the right of the centre point ie zero. If I cant move the paper to fit the ruler I want to fit the ruler to the paper.
I dont know how to use the tools properly, I cant find a reference to my problem in manuals or help files and that is why I am posting my question hers

Geoff
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 24, 2004
If you’re trying to zero the center of the page, there are prewritten actions that find the center of the canvas and put guide there. I think Trevor Morris has one at:

<http://user.fundy.net/morris/redirect.html?photoshop.shtml>

Once you have guides that are in the center, you can drag the ruler from the corner to that center point.

That’s about the only thing I can think of…

Peace,
Tony
O
Ol__Whozit
Feb 25, 2004
Well, I guess old ways of thinking are why it’s called the "olde country," eh? In the digital age, and the design of digital graphics, the top leftmost point is considered 0,0 and has been since computers started dealing with data.
When graphics apps came out, it was a logical progression to also consider the topmost leftcorner the 0,0 point of the document, partly because it was easier for the programmers to code.

Read the documentation under ruler for the basics of what I told you. There are a few ways to always pick the center of your document, the easiest being to create an action that automatically puts guides in the center of your document. Then you can reset the ruler to the "olde" way and pretend you’re still in the mid 20th century!
L
LenHewitt
Feb 25, 2004
OW,

the top leftmost point is considered 0,0 and has been since computers
started dealing with data.
<<

That is NOT a ‘universal standard’ by any means. Illustrator, for example, uses the bottom LH Corner as default origin…..
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 25, 2004
That’s the nice thing about standards… there are so many to choose from!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2004
By intuition, I mostly "think" from the top downwords. When someone tells me it’s the third row, and the tenth column, I won’t start counting from the bottom.
Rob
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 26, 2004
Illustrator uses bottom left because it was initially a simple Postscript editor, and PostScript uses the bottom left.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 26, 2004
Quite true, Don, which only goes to reinforce the point that it is not a universal standard to have origins at top left…..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections