B
Posted By
Bielefelder
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many users of PS are photographers. Attempting to sort the files in a folder based on "Date Picture Taken", something even Windows Explorer can do, does not seem to be supported in PS CS. Many of the other available sort options are not nearly as important as sort by "Date Picture Taken", at least not for photographers who often use more than one camera on a project and end up with non-sequential file names merged into a single folder. That folder simply cannot be sorted in "Date Picture Taken" order which is NOT the same as "Date Created" [which is the date the file was copied into Windows]. Thus, renaming the files in a folder cannot be done in chronological order [Date Picture Taken]. Members in NAPP forums would not even respond to this problem. ADOBE, can you tell me how to do is or accept this as an important issue to be fixed? Thank you.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 22, 2004
I have been waiting to see if a response pops up to this one. So far as I know, Windows only stores two dates for a file: creation date and date last modified. Thus I have no idea how Adobe could know what date a picture was taken, in order to sort on it. It would be like asking the computer to be able to sort human portraits from animal shots and scenics.

I would be interested to know how Windows Explorer?? can sort files on this criteria.
O
Ol__Whozit
Feb 22, 2004
Two words: Photoshop Album

It also allows you to change/add/delete such dates. Digital cameras record this information, Album accesses it automatically when you add the pictures to the database.

As far as wondering about the algorithms and logic to constuct such capabilities, how long ya got, how much education, and what proprietory code waivers from Adobe and Microsoft to discuss such processes? This ain’t open souce code we’re talking here, folks.

Don’t worry about how the Jaguar you’re behind the wheel of works, just put your foot on the gas pedal, clutch, shift and GO!!!!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 22, 2004
So far as I know, Windows only stores two dates for a file

Ok, but using PS we wouldn’t be limited by that. In the EXIF meta data there’s a date and time when the camera file is stored to the file storage card. (i.e. CompactFlash).
This date (whitch doesn’t change during subsequent saves) could be probed by the sort engine , and used for the "shot" order.

But this reply may also unveal my lack of code-knowledge.

Rob
B
Bielefelder
Feb 22, 2004
Don, open Windows Explorer, select a folder with images, choose VIEW/DETAILS, then right click on any column heading. A drop down menu opens with boxes to indicate what data you want to see. Go down to More . . . and check "Date Picture Taken". And voila, you have a column "Date Picture Taken" that you can now sort on. To sort, just left-click the column heading to get either ascending or descending sequence by "Date Picture Taken".
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 22, 2004
OK. I didn’t know Windows Explorer could do this. Very cool. In PS 7, if I do a File Open, I can get this effect too. I assume it’s the browser that you are complaining about, as you’re talking about renaming files …

I get very tired of people who expect software to be crafted to their specific needs. PS is an image editing tool. Adobe have added some very simple image management facilities, which is fine. If you want a sophisticated image management tool, go buy one.

I have 2 suggestions:

1) As put forward above, take a look at PSA. Although if you standards are too exacting, you may be disappointed.

2) If all you want to do is rename files, you can use Windows Explorer. I’m sure I read about some batch rename facility …
B
Bielefelder
Feb 22, 2004
Don, thank you for your feedback. PSA is not an option for me and I wasn’t really complaining. But if ADOBE wants to attract photographers to PSCS then they should be aware of their requirements. So many other sort options are probably less important. Windows, to my knowledge, does not have a batch renaming option unless you write a program to do that.
O
Ol__Whozit
Feb 22, 2004
I don’t think Adobe is losing much sleep at this stage worrying about "attracting photographers" to PSCS…or any prior versions of Photoshop, for that matter.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 23, 2004
Win XP has batch renaming (and resizing) in Windows Explorer.

Cheers – John

(Of course you can’t see the thumbnails if you use PS CS!)
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 23, 2004
Win XP has batch renaming (and resizing) in Windows Explorer

I thought so, but couldn’t find it. Neither could the OP. Can you please elucidate. TIA
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 23, 2004
This is a Photoshop forum but here goes anyway!

In Windows Explorer (RH window) Select all the files you want to rename.

Right click the first and select "Rename" from the context menu.

Voila – new name with sequential numbers! (It’s not as configurable as some but it does the job.)

For resize: Select all the files you want to resize.

Right click the first and select "Resize Pictures" from the context menu.

Follow the instructions you will see.

Cheers – John
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 23, 2004
Thanks John.

BTW, it may be the PS forum, but sometimes it’s a good place to discuss when not to use PS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections