why are PSD files "locked" after saving to CD?

EG
Posted By
Ed_Geis
Feb 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Came across a perplexing problem today. I saved a bunch of images in .psd format (in PS 6, Win2k SP4) and burned them onto a CD-R to give to my client. Today I copied one of the files from the CD onto my hard drive, opened it, edited it, and hit "Save." Instead of saving the file, Photoshop presents a dialogue box announcing:

"Could not save "E:\…13-M Witham’s Lobster P…" because the file is locked. Use the "Properties" command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

I changed the file name and saved it. Does "the file is locked" mean it somehow became a "read-only" file? Where would this have happened–when I burned the CD? How can I ensure this doesn’t happen again? (The CD I gave my client is likely going to be used by non-tech. people who will get flustered by that message)

I double checked to see if maybe I was inadvertently trying to save the file back on to the CD-R, but I wasn’t (E:\ is a volume on my hard drive).

Please enlighten me–thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nagash
Feb 21, 2004
When ever you move a File from a CD to your HD its set to read only.

Just right click it click property and uncheck Read Only.
EG
Ed_Geis
Feb 21, 2004
Thanks–I didn’t realize that. I guess that’s because the CD-R is set to read-only. That doesn’t happen with CD-RWs.

I probably should include a note explaining this on the CD’s "user notes" so people don’t get confused.
ED
El Disco Ozzy
Feb 22, 2004
That is not a Photoshop thing but rather a Windows thing. All files when burned to cd and then copied from the cd back to the hard drive will have a read-only attribute.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:13:33 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

Came across a perplexing problem today. I saved a bunch of images in .psd format (in PS 6, Win2k SP4) and burned them onto a CD-R to give to my client. Today I copied one of the files from the CD onto my hard drive, opened it, edited it, and hit "Save." Instead of saving the file, Photoshop presents a dialogue box announcing:

"Could not save "E:\…13-M Witham’s Lobster P…" because the file is locked. Use the "Properties" command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

I changed the file name and saved it. Does "the file is locked" mean it somehow became a "read-only" file? Where would this have happened–when I burned the CD? How can I ensure this doesn’t happen again? (The CD I gave my client is likely going to be used by non-tech. people who will get flustered by that message)

I double checked to see if maybe I was inadvertently trying to save the file back on to the CD-R, but I wasn’t (E:\ is a volume on my hard drive).

Please enlighten me–thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections