Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hello
what is best to set for photoshop?
by defoult it comes with about 50%
i have 1024ram, and when i use photoshop i use
ONLY photoshop so then i guess i can give him 100% right?

but some books and people says that can make it also slower since windows sometimes for some operations fights his memory too, if i give 100% to php i see that there still some memory left for windows? is that not enough? shall i give 90 or 80% only?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
May 5, 2004
"topsecret" wrote in message
hello
Wrong. If you look at what the taskmanger is running, there will be far more than just photoshop even if that is all that you are using.
but some books and people says that can make it also slower since windows sometimes for some operations fights his memory too, if i give 100% to php i see that there still some memory left for windows? is that not enough? shall i give 90 or 80% only?
Determine what is appropriate for your system by trial and error. Jim
D
Don
May 5, 2004
100% is not as good idea. There are processes spawned by Windoze as well as other applications that may already be running in the background (e.g. virus filters, firewalls). These may spawn processes from time-to-time, or otherwise dynamically require more memory. With 1GB of RAM, try increasing the PS allocation to the 80-85% region.

Don

"topsecret" wrote in message
hello

MR
Mike Russell
May 5, 2004
topsecret wrote:
hello

Others will differ with this, but I’m going to stick my neck out and recommend that you set the slider to 100%. VM really does work, and there is not generally a "fight" if several programs use more than the total physical RAM. Do make sure you have adequate free space on your system swap drive.

If you do find other programs are bogging down, or your systems seems to lag overall, then back off 10 percent and try again.

The whole notion of setting the memory percentage, and in fact Photoshop’s application swap file, harks back to the pre-OSX Macintosh. Those systems generally ran without virtual memory, and it was boorish for an application to hog all of memory, since it would cause programs to simply fail to start up.

Those days are over.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
MR
Mike Russell
May 6, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:
[re photoshop memory option]
Others will differ with this, but I’m going to stick my neck out and recommend that you set the slider to 100%.

Call me nearly headless Nick. I’ve learned a little more about this, and I was wrong.

Certain plugins will fail, even for small images, if you set PS’s memory config to 100%. Other plugins will do very nicely with that setting. Somewhere between 50 and 100% is a golden zone where the particular plugins you use will be happiest.

One tactic would be to set it to 100%, and back off the percentage if you find that a particular plugin gets an insufficient RAM error. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections