AH
Posted By
Arthur_Hansen
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been downloading images from the web for years onto my Photoshop 6 files. I currently have AOL 9.0 I right-click on the image > save image as > give it a name and click on bmp at bottom of dialog box. Then I generally save image in My Pictures or C file; and revert it to a PSD file in Photoshop.I have never had any problems with this method.

My wife recently got her own computer and also has Photoshop 6.0 with AOL 9.0. When I try using the same procedure, the images get blocked. A message comes on the screen " Could not open because an unknown or invalid JPEG type marker is found". I occasionally got messages to the effect that "could not parse" something or other like that… I forgot exact wording.

Oh…and for the record… I do not use any of the images illegally or in violation of any copyright laws.

Any idea as to how I would fix this problem? Thanks. AH

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Margaret_McDowell
Feb 20, 2004
Have you tried saving it in a specific file in "My Documents?"

Next time, could you please not yell? 🙂
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 20, 2004
I don’t know but it sounds like it may be something to do with the renowned AOL graphics compression problem. Below is an extract from the Microsoft FAQ. Might be worth a try.

Q. Why can’t I preview .bmp or .art files that I downloaded with AOL?

A. Because those graphic files were probably downloaded in a compressed format, which is the default setting.

To turn off graphic compression in the AOL client
Go to Preferences in AOL.
Click Internet properties (or WWW in some versions).
Click Web Graphics.
Clear Never compress graphics (or Use compressed graphics in some versions).
V
viol8ion
Feb 23, 2004
Or… use Internet Explorer or another browser to download graphics.
AH
Arthur_Hansen
Feb 23, 2004
Attn: Margaret, Mick & Viol8tion:

Thank you for your input. I still was not able to have any luck with a direct download.

I experimented and the best I could do was a copy and paste into a new Photoshop file. The problem with that is I must be in Photoshop to bea able to do that. If I am on line but Photoshop is closed, then it will not work.

However I do appreciate all of you taking the time to answer.

Art Hansen
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 24, 2004
If you are downloading the files from a non-AOL website, you can start your AOL connection, minimise AOL and use Netscape/other browser of your choice/IE to go to the site and download and save the picture.

This has worked for other AOL problems with sites.

Bill
V
viol8ion
Feb 24, 2004
If you are downloading the files from a non-AOL website, you can start your AOL connection, minimise AOL and use Netscape/other browser of your choice/IE to go to the site and download and save the picture.

Now why didn’t I think of that?
KP
kingsley_paul_grant
Feb 24, 2004
I USUALLY RIGHT CLICK AND COPY INTO PAINT(WINDOWS)AND THEN OPEN THE FILE IN PHOTOSHOP. HOPE THIS HELPS….
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 24, 2004
What is this thread about? Does anybody know? Perhaps ol whatzit can explain.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 25, 2004
Perhaps ol whatzit can explain.

<cue dramatic music>
V
viol8ion
Feb 25, 2004
Arthur
Another work around is to click on the Print Screen/Sys Req key, next to F12 on your keyboard when you have the image on the screen that you want. Now open Photoshop, CTRL + N and enter, and then CTRL + V. This will paste the screen shot, which you will have to crop all the rest of the crap out to get your image. Downside is that you have a 72 ppi image this way, and if the image on your screen was higher res, you lose that. Upside is that you can capture the image. Hope this helps.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections