JC
Posted By
Josh Conley
Jun 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would suggest talking striaght to the individuals that are printing your cards for you. Whenever there has been a conversion on any of the RGB files to CMYK I have had some color darkening occur, but if you just want to play it very safe use CMYK from the beginning so you know for sure what colors you are going to get.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DD
Dutch Dremann
Jun 30, 2003
Create, design, etc., in RGB then convert.

Dutch
B
BLUDVLZ
Jun 30, 2003
Cindy,

A good little tip when designing in RGB (’cause basically you have to in order to use all the cool filters…) is to work with a CMYK preview.

To do this, open your RGB file, and then hit Ctrl + Y to toggle the CMYK preview. You’ll still be able to use all the filters, but all you’ll see is the CMYK results on screen. This will better allow you to see the color changes before you actually go to press.
CS
Cindy Singleton
Jul 1, 2003
Thank you BLUDVLZ! I’ll do that. I do need some filters for this. So when I go to save this as a jpeg, I just switch the mode to CMYK and save?

~Cindy
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 1, 2003
I just switch the mode to CMYK and save?

Yep, I would save as a copy though, incase you want to make changes to the card. Keep one for print in a flat cmyk, and one for updates or corrections as rgb with layers.
L
Livewire
Jan 7, 2005
A silly query perhaps, but . . .

If I send a DTP file to a professional printer I need to convert all images to CMYK or there’ll be a colour disater.

If I print the same thing on an inkjet or colour laser — both of which use CMYK ink cartridges — my document’s images print fine as RGB, CMYK or a mixture on the same page.

Why can’t that work for professional print jobs?
M2
Michael 23
Jan 7, 2005
if it is for offset printing (i.e. newsprint, magazine, etc) it is because….
someone, and in this instance the printing service,
needs to ‘separate’ the image into cyan, magenta, yellow, and black layers for a
four-color printing process (c,m,y,k) that runs on four separate plates, with
these four colors of ink.

your computer interpolates the rgb to cmyk data for you, same way it is able to show cmyk data on an rgb monitor.

some print shops prefer to do the "prepress" conversion themselves, apparently your guys want it print-ready.

on that note, you might ask them if there is any specific cmyk "profile" that you should be imbedding when you change modes and flatten the image

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

"Livewire" wrote in message
A silly query perhaps, but . . .

If I send a DTP file to a professional printer I need to convert all images to CMYK or there’ll be a colour disater.

If I print the same thing on an inkjet or colour laser — both of which use CMYK ink cartridges — my document’s images print fine as RGB, CMYK or a mixture on the same page.

Why can’t that work for professional print jobs?
L
Livewire
Jan 7, 2005
In article <0rxDd.3073$>,
says…
needs to ‘separate’ the image into cyan, magenta, yellow, and black layers for a
four-color printing process (c,m,y,k) that runs on four separate plates,

But surely an inkjet or laser’s separate CMYK inks each act as the separation "plates", being placed on the paper in the same way that ink would be placed plate-by-plate via an offset press?
M2
Michael 23
Jan 7, 2005
yes, sort of, but…not really

you have a computer between you and the ink to tell the cartridge what to do.
on an offset press, it is strictly mechanical.

the cmyk pixels contain info that allows the separation process (our news print service uses quark) to slice out the layers, cmyk – what they end up with is actually 4 greyscale images that represent the 4 colors. when those colors of ink are layered during offset printing, it recreates the image.

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

In article <0rxDd.3073$>,
says…
needs to ‘separate’ the image into cyan, magenta, yellow, and black layers
for a
four-color printing process (c,m,y,k) that runs on four separate plates,

But surely an inkjet or laser’s separate CMYK inks each act as the separation "plates", being placed on the paper in the same way that ink would be placed plate-by-plate via an offset press?
L
Livewire
Jan 7, 2005
In article <P1yDd.3077$>,
says…

you have a computer between you and the ink to tell the cartridge what to do.

the cmyk pixels contain info that allows the separation process (our news print service uses quark) to slice out the layers, cmyk – what they end up with is actually 4 greyscale images that represent the 4 colors. when those colors of ink are layered during offset printing, it recreates the image.
Thanks a lot

much clearer now.

Regards
C
Corey
Jan 8, 2005
says…

you have a computer between you and the ink to tell the cartridge what
to
do.

the cmyk pixels contain info that allows the separation process (our
news
print service uses quark) to slice out the layers, cmyk – what they end
up
with is actually 4 greyscale images that represent the 4 colors. when those colors of ink are layered during offset printing, it
recreates
the image.
Thanks a lot

much clearer now.

Regards

I see you already got some great explanation from Michael, but here’s a bit more.

The main difference is that monitors (RGB) emit light whereas printing (CMYK) absorbs certain spectrums and reflects other spectrums of visible light.

The main difference is that RGB is "additive" where when maximum levels of Red Green and Blue are mixed, you get pure white. CMYK is "subtractive", in that colors are displayed by subtracting varying amounts of Red, Green and Blue light. This subtraction occurs because Cyan, Magenta and Yellow are the secondary colors of Red Green and Blue respectively, or their opposites. In CMYK, White isn’t achieved by mixing all the colors, but by the complete absence of any color (and the presence of the mandatory white background to show through!)

For an easy-to-understand explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/5dg43

For more in depth discussion:
http://tinyurl.com/3l9wy

Peadge 🙂
M2
Michael 23
Jan 8, 2005
nice – couldn’t find the simple words for a complex idea… well done, peadge.

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

"Peadge" wrote in message
says…

you have a computer between you and the ink to tell the cartridge what
to
do.

the cmyk pixels contain info that allows the separation process (our
news
print service uses quark) to slice out the layers, cmyk – what they end
up
with is actually 4 greyscale images that represent the 4 colors. when those colors of ink are layered during offset printing, it
recreates
the image.
Thanks a lot

much clearer now.

Regards

I see you already got some great explanation from Michael, but here’s a bit
more.

The main difference is that monitors (RGB) emit light whereas printing (CMYK) absorbs certain spectrums and reflects other spectrums of visible light.

The main difference is that RGB is "additive" where when maximum levels of Red Green and Blue are mixed, you get pure white. CMYK is "subtractive", in
that colors are displayed by subtracting varying amounts of Red, Green and Blue light. This subtraction occurs because Cyan, Magenta and Yellow are the secondary colors of Red Green and Blue respectively, or their opposites.
In CMYK, White isn’t achieved by mixing all the colors, but by the complete
absence of any color (and the presence of the mandatory white background to
show through!)

For an easy-to-understand explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/5dg43

For more in depth discussion:
http://tinyurl.com/3l9wy

Peadge 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections