Posted By
Keith_Fryer
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone offer an explaination for this:

I’m working on a video project at the moment, using a mixture of still and video, so currently have Premiere 6.5 and PS CS open, along with a couple of browser windows & outlook. Something w/ Premiere prompted me to take a look at the process list in Win2k, specifically to look at IO figures.

I noticed that PS seemed to be doing a LOT of IO. I currently have one image opened in PS, but I’m not actually working on it so PS is in the background. In the process list I see the figures for "IO Other" and "IO Read Bytes" incrementing constantly – the "Read Bytes" figure at about 5-6Kb/sec.

Why? What’s it doing that needs 5Kb/sec of data? Memory usage appears constant at approx 6Mb, but its also consistently using about 3-4% of processor time on alternate updates. Whilst doing nothing.

Any ideas. At this stage I don’t know if this will be significantly impacting system performance, but…it does seem odd.

Thanks

Keith

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 19, 2004
What is the CPU percentage at that time?
KF
Keith_Fryer
Feb 19, 2004
Nothing really. 1-2% every so often from Outlook, 1% from the task manager. The rest is system idle.
J
Jim
Feb 19, 2004
How about Windows accessing the swap file. If you have instructed PS to use a lot of the memory, there may not be enough for whatever else needs to run.

And, make no mistake, PS and Premiere aren’t the only processes that do IO or need memory.

Jim
wrote in message
Can anyone offer an explaination for this:

I’m working on a video project at the moment, using a mixture of still and
video, so currently have Premiere 6.5 and PS CS open, along with a couple of browser windows & outlook. Something w/ Premiere prompted me to take a look at the process list in Win2k, specifically to look at IO figures.
I noticed that PS seemed to be doing a LOT of IO. I currently have one
image opened in PS, but I’m not actually working on it so PS is in the background. In the process list I see the figures for "IO Other" and "IO Read Bytes" incrementing constantly – the "Read Bytes" figure at about 5-6Kb/sec.
Why? What’s it doing that needs 5Kb/sec of data? Memory usage appears
constant at approx 6Mb, but its also consistently using about 3-4% of processor time on alternate updates. Whilst doing nothing.
Any ideas. At this stage I don’t know if this will be significantly
impacting system performance, but…it does seem odd.
Thanks

Keith

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections