MM
Posted By
marco_mintchev
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I tell Photoshop not to select hidden layers?

I am using the "Auto Select Layer" option for the move tool. I would like to be able to sellect only the visible layers but instead hidden layers which are placed above the visible are being selected.

I’m using Photoshop CS

marco

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 19, 2004
In truth, I turned off Auto Select Layer back in Photoshop 5.5. I found it much more reliable to discretely select layers from the layers palette and link or group them as need be. I know that doesn’t answer your question, but it’s something to think about…

Peace,
Tony
C
cyberseano
Feb 25, 2004
I’ve been looking for the same fix. The only difference is I don’t use the "Auto Select Layer" option.
Instead I hold down Alt and right click on the layers I want to jump to.

It’s VERY annoying when it keeps jumping to hidden layers just because they are above the layers I’m trying to select.
My only work around so far (And it’s a pain in the a$$) is to move the folders or layers that it keeps selecting to below the layers I want to actually work with.
Once I’m done I have to then move the layers BACK to the top. It’s a lot of shuffling around.
RD
Richard_D._Doyle
Jun 16, 2004
This is something I’m running into as well. Basically any layer that is visible (even though the folder that it is in is invisible) can be selected by CTRL clicking or by using the text tool. As stated above, the only workaround seems to be reshuffling folders or turning on the folder, turning off the layer, turning off the folder, and then continuing.
RO
Rob_Offen
Jun 17, 2004
Me too, been wating for a patch for a while….
Rob Offen "BUG with selecting shapelayers" 12/3/03 2:51pm </cgi-bin/webx?14>

Rob.
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 15, 2004
still waiting
L
LenHewitt
Jul 16, 2004
Rob,

There are apparently no plans to release any updates for CS – You’ll be waiting until the next version
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2004
that’s kinda beat… to say the least.
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 16, 2004
still waiting.
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 17, 2004
still waiting..
P
Phosphor
Jul 17, 2004
Let me guess: You’re gonna get real annoying with the "still waiting"‘ s, aren’t you Rob?
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 17, 2004
yeah, bit like Adobe , all but saying: "found a bug? well pay us some more money and we might think about fixing it."

– sorry, just a bit fustrated waiting 8 months for – –

Rob
P
Phosphor
Jul 17, 2004
So, then, what you do Rob, is very carefully—Offline—write out the problem as you see it, explain why it is a detriment to the way you work, and suggest how it might be better implemented.

Details, details and more details…and write with the most descriptive clear language you can muster. Offer conccrete examples and reasons why your suggestion(s) would be better than the way it currently works. Think past your own workflow and conjecture how it might be better for other users as well.

Then, when you’ve proofread it, and read through it a few times to make sure it says exactly what you want it to say, post a copy of your dissertation in the Feature Request section of this forum.

That’s not meant to sound like I’m being a smart-ass, that’s just the smartest way to bring attention to something you think would be welcome change or addition to the software.
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 19, 2004
this covers it.

progress "Actually make locking lock." 5/25/04 11:30am </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>
RO
Rob_Offen
Jul 19, 2004
this covers it.

progress "Actually make locking lock." 5/25/04 11:30am </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections