GH
Posted By
Gary_Headrick
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After reading the warnings on how to properly post a message I am a little intimidated, but here goes anyway. I am looking for advice on designing the perfect workspace for a photoshop professional. I am currently re-building my business and hope to create the most desireable workspace for my future employees, (within a reasonable budget). What kind of lighting is preferrable? Anyone have a favorite kind of chair? Is two monitors a huge advantage? If two monitors is great, is there anyone using three to even greater advantage? I am most likely going to go PC. In your opinion,what does a kick-ass system have to have? I’ll need a fast, user friendly 11×17 flatbed scanner. I need to get a digital camera sufficient for clean 30×40" prints (125 dpi minimum). I’ll need a high resolution printer with 42" roll stock capacity. What’s your opinion on digitizing tablets for mostly photo editing? Any suggestions on networks, servers, back-ups, security? Simply put, what space would you like to work in if you could have it any way you wanted it? Please give me advice on any or all of these items. I really appreciate it, and I know my future employees will too!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Feb 18, 2004
Only a few.

What kind of lighting is preferrable?

Y use 5500K light bulbs. Some recommend neutral gray for the walls and no reflecting artifacts near the monitors. Also I have read to wear no jewelry and even to wear gray shirts.

Is two monitors a huge advantage?

Absolutely. You will have a clean viewing of your files, all the palettes sitting on the second monitor. I do not see any advantage for more monitors.

I need to get a digital camera sufficient for clean 30×40" prints (125 dpi minimum).

I would go with the new Canon Mark II.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 18, 2004
wacoms! don’t forget the wacoms!!!
RH
r_harvey
Feb 18, 2004
A northern window would be nice.

Mellow, quiet tunes.

A floor fan, behind you, so your eyes don’t water.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Feb 18, 2004
Don’t get just plain wacoms–get cintiques! Also you cannot have too much ram (but stop at 2 gigs) or too much hard drive space! And do you need employees for this really nice place….
C
colorfulbird
Feb 18, 2004
Gary what is your business? What will your employees be doing most of their day?
J
Jim
Feb 18, 2004
As for the camera, you should use a camera that has 30×125 by 40×125 pixels. 125 pixels per inch is an easy mark to hit.
Jim
wrote in message
After reading the warnings on how to properly post a message I am a little
intimidated, but here goes anyway. I am looking for advice on designing the perfect workspace for a photoshop professional. I am currently re-building my business and hope to create the most desireable workspace for my future employees, (within a reasonable budget). What kind of lighting is preferrable? Anyone have a favorite kind of chair? Is two monitors a huge advantage? If two monitors is great, is there anyone using three to even greater advantage? I am most likely going to go PC. In your opinion,what does a kick-ass system have to have? I’ll need a fast, user friendly 11×17 flatbed scanner. I need to get a digital camera sufficient for clean 30×40" prints (125 dpi minimum). I’ll need a high resolution printer with 42" roll stock capacity. What’s your opinion on digitizing tablets for mostly photo editing? Any suggestions on networks, servers, back-ups, security? Simply put, what space would you like to work in if you could have it any way you wanted it? Please give me advice on any or all of these items. I really appreciate it, and I know my future employees will too!
RE
Ron_Edwards
Feb 18, 2004
I really like halogen torch lamps in a neutral gray room with no outside window. No other lights either, for that matter. Wacom should not be considered an option, in fact PhotoShop shouldn’t be sold without one. 6 X 9 works fine. Duel monitors is ample. LaCie 22" for the main one, and a flat screen 17" for the second. Which ever scanner you get (they’re all so much better then they used to be) make sure it has Digital Ice. It really eliminates a lot of clean-up on your scans! 1 GIG minimum on your RAM!!!!! Seriously!!!!! Also, get the Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Mouse. Accurate, fast response, comfortable… great tool!
GH
Gary_Headrick
Feb 18, 2004
Wow!
This is just the kind of response I was hoping for. I’ll put this information to good use. Thank you for your input.

FYI, a little about my business…
I started as an architectural illustrator in 1977 using traditional media. I happened to be in the right place at the right time when Photoshop came out. I took on a partner in ’92, who helped build the technical side of the business. In 2000, we took on another partner in a similar business, and together we explored the world of animation. In 2003, my younger, more ambitious partners decided that my services were no longer needed unless I wanted to take less pay, give up a significant number of shares and basically become an employee of the very company that I had started. I resisted passively at first, but that was only met with more and more resistance. It eventually ended up in court, and got resolved through mediation. I was left with getting book value for my shares (not much in a service related business) and a deep void in my life where a 17 year old friendship died.

A sad story, and a little whiney for sure, but I’m over it now. I have been approached by past employees who would like to continue on with me in a new business. I am in the process of redefining my goals and shifting my attention towards New Urbanism in particular. My focus is on quality of the work, and quality of the work experience. I am at a point in my life where significance matters most of all. I will start off small, and only grow to meet the demand as needed, as long as it remains significant in terms of leaving the world a little better place than I found it.

Being most familiar with the Photoshop side of the business, I started my query here, assuming much of this input would relate to the animation and post-production side as well. Please let me know if you happen to have specific suggestions pertaining to 3D Studio Max also. Your input is much appreciated.
B
Brian
Feb 18, 2004
wrote:
Anyone have a favorite
kind of chair?

If the budget supports it (pardon the pun), the Aeron is quite simply the best chair you can buy:

http://tinyurl.com/ce2e

As an old boss used to say, "Designers spend a lot of time on their asses, might as well be comfortable!"

8^)

Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections