NT
Posted By
Not the Troll again
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone offer advise on opening Canon camera RAW files with PS 6 or 7 please?
Neither program even shows their existance.

AJ

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LU
l u c a s
Nov 19, 2003
AJ scripserat :

Can anyone offer advise on opening Canon camera RAW files with PS 6 or 7 please?

You need the Camera Raw Plugin.
Have a look here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

bye
NT
Not the Troll again
Nov 20, 2003
How interesting is that link?
Leads straight to Adobe US site about PhotoShop CS. Hmmm. The question was…
AJ

"l u c a s" wrote in message
AJ scripserat :

bye

T
threetoe
Nov 20, 2003
The link is very interesting, as it contains all the info you need in regards to your question. Just have to actually read it….

In article <rwVub.18378$>, AJ
wrote:

AJ

AJ scripserat :

bye

RP
Rich Powell
Nov 20, 2003
Neither Photoshop 6 or 7 supports RAW files directly. Adobe used to sell a stand alone plug in for Photoshop that sold for $99 that allowed you to read in RAW files. They have since integrated it into Photoshop CS and no longer sell the plug in by itself. If you want to use Photoshop, that is all you can use. There are third party programs like BreezeBrowser that can read RAW files and save them as TIFF files that can then be read into PS 6 or 7.

Hope that helps.

"AJ" wrote in message
AJ

AJ scripserat :

Can anyone offer advise on opening Canon camera RAW files with PS 6 or
please?

bye

NT
Not the Troll again
Nov 20, 2003
Thanks Rich…
I can’t find much difference between version 6 and 7. Certainly not enough to warrant the several hundred dollars for an upgrade I paid. Adobe are now trying to force people using digicams to upgrade yet again when they really only needed to have the plug-in. I am less than impressed. I have been using irfanview to run a thumbnail preview of my CFC cards and then converting them to .TIFF files for editing. The results are very good and I will keep doing this. I just hoped I could open the files directly with PS. When I think about it, PS doesn’t preview images over 2 meg in size anyway so even if I had the plug-in, I’d still need a bulk sorter like irfanview. Oh well….
AJ

"Rich Powell" wrote in message
Neither Photoshop 6 or 7 supports RAW files directly. Adobe used to sell
a
stand alone plug in for Photoshop that sold for $99 that allowed you to
read
in RAW files. They have since integrated it into Photoshop CS and no
longer
sell the plug in by itself. If you want to use Photoshop, that is all you can use. There are third party programs like BreezeBrowser that can read RAW files and save them as TIFF files that can then be read into PS 6 or

Hope that helps.

"AJ" wrote in message
AJ

AJ scripserat :

Can anyone offer advise on opening Canon camera RAW files with PS 6
or
please?

Have a look here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
bye

J
jayfar
Nov 21, 2003
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:39:01 GMT,
l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

You can also use Canon’s own plugin supplied with the camera software, but frankly Canon’s is dog slow and not as flexible as the Photoshop Camera Raw plugin. I think adobe’s plugin requires at least PS7 (or PS Elements
2). The $100 for Adobe’s plugin is money well spent in terms of time saved
alone; I’d estimate it’s about 3-4 times faster than Canon’s plugin.

Cheers,
Jayfar
NT
Not the Troll again
Nov 21, 2003
What I tried to say in my reply to the guy who first offered this link is: Adobe no longer offer the plugin! Instead they try and sell you an upgrade to PS CS which I don’t want. I was happy enough with version 6. Version 7 was a waste of money and I’m bloody sure I won’t upgrade to CS just to get the RAW editing feature!
AJ

"Jayfar" wrote in message
l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

please?

You can also use Canon’s own plugin supplied with the camera software, but frankly Canon’s is dog slow and not as flexible as the Photoshop Camera Raw plugin. I think adobe’s plugin requires at least PS7 (or PS Elements
Cheers,
Jayfar
ML
Mike Latondresse
Nov 22, 2003
"AJ" wrote in
news:jgkvb.20217$:

What I tried to say in my reply to the guy who first offered this link is: Adobe no longer offer the plugin! Instead they try and sell you an upgrade to PS CS which I don’t want. I was happy enough with version 6. Version 7 was a waste of money and I’m bloody sure I won’t upgrade to CS just to get the RAW editing feature! AJ

l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

please?

Have a look here:

You can also use Canon’s own plugin supplied with the camera software, but frankly Canon’s is dog slow and not as flexible as the Photoshop Camera Raw plugin. I think adobe’s plugin requires at least PS7 (or PS Elements 2). The $100 for Adobe’s plugin is money well spent in terms of time saved alone; I’d estimate it’s about 3-4 times faster than Canon’s plugin.

Cheers,
Jayfar
Use Capture1 DLSR. It is significantly better than the Canon stuff as I have just found out after wrestling with File Viewer and ZoomBrowser for a while, (slow learner), and you can save to 16 bit tif for some adjustments later…I have PS 7 so there are some 16 bit things.
T
threetoe
Nov 23, 2003
Yes, Capture One. A fine choice, it’s a spectacular tool. Of course it’s $500. upgrade to Photoshop CS for $170, and get an amazing array of 16 bit editing features as well as a vast number of other improvements.

v.7 was a waste of money? the healing brush alone was worth the $120 to me.

You can always use the software that came with your canon camera, can’t you?

Different strokes.

In article , Mike Latondresse
wrote:

"AJ" wrote in

What I tried to say in my reply to the guy who first offered this link is: Adobe no longer offer the plugin! Instead they try and sell you an upgrade to PS CS which I don’t want. I was happy enough with version 6. Version 7 was a waste of money and I’m bloody sure I won’t upgrade to CS just to get the RAW editing feature! AJ

l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

please?

Have a look here:

You can also use Canon’s own plugin supplied with the camera software, but frankly Canon’s is dog slow and not as flexible as the Photoshop Camera Raw plugin. I think adobe’s plugin requires at least PS7 (or PS Elements 2). The $100 for Adobe’s plugin is money well spent in terms of time saved alone; I’d estimate it’s about 3-4 times faster than Canon’s plugin.

Cheers,
Jayfar
Use Capture1 DLSR. It is significantly better than the Canon stuff as I have just found out after wrestling with File Viewer and ZoomBrowser for a while, (slow learner), and you can save to 16 bit tif for some adjustments later…I have PS 7 so there are some 16 bit things.
JG
Jim Gizzi
Nov 23, 2003
Capture 1 LE works just as well for only $99. The twenty file limit sometimes gets in the way but not often.

Defintiely recommend this software.

Jim
"threetoe" wrote in message
Yes, Capture One. A fine choice, it’s a spectacular tool. Of course it’s $500. upgrade to Photoshop CS for $170, and get an amazing array of 16 bit editing features as well as a vast number of other improvements.

v.7 was a waste of money? the healing brush alone was worth the $120 to me.

You can always use the software that came with your canon camera, can’t you?

Different strokes.

In article , Mike Latondresse
wrote:

"AJ" wrote in

l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

please?

Have a look here:

Cheers,
Jayfar
B
burt
Dec 29, 2003
I am running CS on my machine, and it reads the Canon RAW files fine. I have PS7 on my wife’s machine though (different serial number, since I got CS fresh). I also have the RAW/JPEG 2000 plug-in that Adobe sold last summer.

I installed the RAW plug-in to her machine, but cannot open the RAW files in either PS7 or Elements2. I see the popup selection of ‘RAW File’ but the files are all greyed out in the Open command. In the Browse, they don’t show up at all.

My wife is bugging me for another copy of CS so she can use RAW. She has no need for any other CS feature, yet we often use PS at the same time (hence the two serial numbers). What do I need to do to get this PS7 to read those camera files? (the Readme implies it will "just work" — the plugin folders are in the right place, etc)

Jayfar wrote:

l u c a s wrote:
AJ scripserat :

Cheers,
Jayfar

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
B
bhilton665
Dec 29, 2003

I am running CS on my machine, and it reads the Canon RAW files fine. I have PS7 on my wife’s machine though (different serial number, since I got CS fresh). I also have the RAW/JPEG 2000 plug-in that Adobe sold last summer.

I installed the RAW plug-in to her machine, but cannot open the RAW files in either PS7 or Elements2.

I think you need 7.01 to run the RAW plug-in. If you have that rev then call Adobe Support for help.

My wife is bugging me for another copy of CS so she can use RAW. She has no need for any other CS feature, yet we often use PS at the same time (hence the two serial numbers).

You can load two copies of CS without problems. Whether or not you feel legally obligated to buy two licenses is up to you … I think 99+% of Photoshop users in a non-commercial setting would just load the second copy on her machine.

Bill
B
burt
Dec 29, 2003
Bill Hilton wrote:

You can load two copies of CS without problems. Whether or not you feel legally obligated to buy two licenses is up to you … I think 99+% of Photoshop users in a non-commercial setting would just load the second copy on her machine.

Are you saying it doesn’t check the network for another copy as the prior versions did? Under PS7, if one of us had it running and the other tried to launch, we would get a notice that the serial number was already in use and it would refuse to run…

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
B
bhilton665
Dec 29, 2003
You can load two copies of CS without problems.

Are you saying it doesn’t check the network for another copy as the prior versions did?

I meant you can load two copies of CS on two different machines. If you have Photoshop on a network (instead of installed separately) then I can see where you’d have problems. But even with activation you can load and run CS on two machines.
A
Auspics
Dec 30, 2003
What he is saying is that the Adobe EULA
Allows you to have CS on (I think from memory) 3 but for sure 2, machines. What it does not allow is for those computers to all be using the software at the same time.

Presumably the reasoning behind this is that your prime PC at work is 1. Your notebook which you take on shoots is 2. The PC you use at home for doing all that unpaid overtime is number 3. Just be sure you don’t use Photoshop on more than one PC at any one time or you will need extra licenses.

It sound to me as if the situation of having 2 photographers wanting to use the program would require an extra license otherwise you will have to take turns at it… !! "Are you finished yet Burt? It’s my turn already! Doug
———————————-

"Burt Johnson" wrote in message
Bill Hilton wrote:

You can load two copies of CS without problems. Whether or not you feel legally obligated to buy two licenses is up to you … I think 99+% of Photoshop users in a non-commercial setting would just load the second
copy on
her machine.

Are you saying it doesn’t check the network for another copy as the prior versions did? Under PS7, if one of us had it running and the other tried to launch, we would get a notice that the serial number was already in use and it would refuse to run…

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
B
burt
Dec 30, 2003
Yes, that is the way PS has worked for years. No particular problem with that. It seems reasonable and fair to me.

The problem though is that I am leaving my wife on PS7, which is completely sufficient for her limited needs — as long as I can get Canon RAW files to work in it.

I purchased the RAW/JPEG 2000 plug-in some time ago and am just now getting around to trying to get it to work. It _should_ work with PS7 according to the docs. After all, that was the current PS when I bought it.

However, I am unable to open those files. In the Open File dialog, they are greyed out. In the Browser, they are not visible. The same files view and open fine under PS CS, which supposedly just has that same plug-in preinstalled (OK, a simplication, but the function is now standard)

Thus, back to my original question — has anyone had any problems using the RAW plug-in under PS7, and what did you do to correct the problem if so.

This whole discussion of having PS on two machines is a red herring relative to my initial question (and the thread title).

Techno Aussie wrote:

What he is saying is that the Adobe EULA
Allows you to have CS on (I think from memory) 3 but for sure 2, machines. What it does not allow is for those computers to all be using the software at the same time.

Presumably the reasoning behind this is that your prime PC at work is 1. Your notebook which you take on shoots is 2. The PC you use at home for doing all that unpaid overtime is number 3. Just be sure you don’t use Photoshop on more than one PC at any one time or you will need extra licenses.

It sound to me as if the situation of having 2 photographers wanting to use the program would require an extra license otherwise you will have to take turns at it… !! "Are you finished yet Burt? It’s my turn already! Doug

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
B
bhilton665
Dec 30, 2003

back to my original question — has anyone had any problems using the RAW plug-in under PS7, and what did you do to correct the problem if so.

Are your running 7.01 or just V7? I think you need 7.01 …
J
james
Dec 30, 2003
Definately need to update 7.0 to the 7.01 update. Then install the plug-in and you should be good to go.
james

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

back to my original question — has anyone had any problems using the RAW plug-in under PS7, and what did you do to correct the problem if so.

Z
zuuum
Dec 30, 2003
If per chance you already have the 7.0.1 update applied, make certain you installed the plug-in bundle to the PS 7 plug-in folder. It sounded as if you have more than one PS version running on your machine, which creates seperate directory trees for each.

[All of the Adobe programs seem to be designed with very un-Windows like conventions, to me. They (PageMaker, Illustrator, Photoshop) are the only Windows programs I have installed that don’t recognize universal Windows keyboard short-cut combinations and create co-existing versions when one applies a version update.]

"james" wrote in message
Definately need to update 7.0 to the 7.01 update. Then install the plug-in and you should be good to go.
james

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

back to my original question — has anyone had any problems using the RAW plug-in under PS7, and what did you do to correct the problem
if
so.

B
burt
Dec 30, 2003
james wrote:

james

Seemed like a good point. I only had 7.0 on her machine. However, I then updated to 7.01 and still no go. I even deleted PS entirely (complete with library and pref stuff) and reinstalled from scratch, added 7.01, then installed the plug-in. Still no go??

I finally gave up and just installed CS on her system. To my surprise, it does not prevent itself from running on both her system and mine at the same time!? That was always a limit before, since back around version 4 or 5 (I forget exactly when it started). I "just assumed" that CS would have the same limitation…

Oh well, no longer an issue I guess. Thanks for trying to help!

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
CC
Chris Cox
Jan 19, 2004
In article <1g6perz.1gz8z0d1dncciaN%>, Burt
Johnson wrote:

I hope you didn’t install that with CS – it is out of date and a newer version comes with CS.

I installed the RAW plug-in to her machine, but cannot open the RAW files in either PS7 or Elements2. I see the popup selection of ‘RAW File’ but the files are all greyed out in the Open command. In the Browse, they don’t show up at all.

Camera RAW and Photoshop RAW are two different things.

My wife is bugging me for another copy of CS so she can use RAW. She has no need for any other CS feature, yet we often use PS at the same time (hence the two serial numbers). What do I need to do to get this PS7 to read those camera files? (the Readme implies it will "just work" — the plugin folders are in the right place, etc)

Just use the open command or the file browser to go to the files and open them. You don’t have to select any particular file type…

Chris
B
burt
Jan 19, 2004
I had installed that with PS7, but it didn’t work. Never determined why, but I ended up installing PS/CS on my wife’s machine and that solved the problem.

To my surprise, CS does not do network verification either. I can run CS on both my machine and my wife’s machine at the same time with no complaint from Adobe. I could not do this on prior versions?

Chris Cox wrote:

In article <1g6perz.1gz8z0d1dncciaN%>, Burt
Johnson wrote:

I hope you didn’t install that with CS – it is out of date and a newer version comes with CS.

Camera RAW and Photoshop RAW are two different things.

Just use the open command or the file browser to go to the files and open them. You don’t have to select any particular file type…
Chris

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections