MT
Posted By
michael_tee
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was just curious if there were any plans to implement it anytime in the future. Was pretty dissappointed when i opened up my new mouse today and after installing the new drivers etc that the tilt was useless in CS. I know it’s gimmicky and useless for most things but CS is one of the few programs (excel being the other) where the tilt wheel should really shine. Anyways, sorry if this has been covered before but the search turned up nothing for me.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Malameel
Feb 16, 2004
I have not tried using the tilt wheel yet in PS because the tilt wheel seem really slow compared to just using the hand tool which works in every direction. However, the scroll wheel in general acted funny in the past so I just stopped using it.
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 16, 2004
Not related to PS or the "tilt" thing, but have either of you noticed the extreme sensitivity of the scroll wheel itself? I recently got a MS wireless mouse for my internet computer and I can’t even lightly rest my finger on the scroll wheel without the page jumping around. I liked the old ones with the detente in the wheel better.

Nick
MT
michael_tee
Feb 17, 2004
Yeah using the handtool is faster but when i want to do a quick look at another piece of whatever i’m working on i usually just scroll over. Prolly not the most efficient way of doing things but how i’ve learned it nonetheless. This non-clicking wheel does feel like it scrolls more fluidly though, course that may just be me.

I’ve also noticed the exact thing sensitivity wise. I’ve just chalked it up to the wheel no longer clicking when it turns making the scrolling smoother and therefore more sensitive. While it’s different i’m sure i’m gonna like this wheel much better.

My biggest difference so far is how far up the thumb buttons are on the intellimouse explorer 4.0, i almost have to hold my hand at an angle or move my hand way up on the mouse for them to feel comfortable. Can’t remember it being this awkward going from an intellimouse explorer 1.0 to 3.0.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 17, 2004
Logitech works quite well. No tilt, so far as I know.

Say, I thouhgt "Tilt" went out with the old pin ball machines!;-)
RH
r_harvey
Feb 17, 2004
As soon as tilt-wheel support is complete, MS will add the new squeeze and shake options. And when support for those is complete, MS will add petting (after all, don’t they already make game controllers that purr?). It’s a moving target.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 17, 2004
Hmmmm…squeeze might be fun though…as if instead of applying pen pressure, you’re instead squeezing some paint of a tube. I suppose there would have to be some user-adjustable settings though, such as grip size and squeeze "velocity"??
M
Malameel
Feb 17, 2004
As far as scrolling to fast, it is a setting on the driver in the control panel for the mouse. Personally I set mine higher than th default.
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 17, 2004
Malameel, I’ve tried the different settings in the mouse control panel, but it’s not the scrolling speed that bothers me. I was used to resting my index finger on the scroll wheel, kind of as the "default" position of my hand while working. This new mouse wheel is so sensitive that even touching the wheel causing a scroll. I guess I’ll either get out of that habit, or go back to the old mouse.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 17, 2004
Wanna be sure that squeeze doesn’t lead to hemmoroids!
M
Malameel
Feb 17, 2004
I do not want to know how you squeeze your mouse. 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 17, 2004
Don’t ask, don’t tell! 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
r_harvey – don’t forget the pickpocket option…
RH
r_harvey
Feb 17, 2004
Pickpocket option? I know you can get one without wires, but how about without strings attached?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 18, 2004
No strings attached. That’s my motto.
MT
michael_tee
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for hijacking the thread with stupid comments on a legit question. Unfortunately i can’t delete this thread and i don’t feel like posting a new one so for anyone that actually owns one of these mouses and is curious as to what is going on i found this on another web board.

"It turns out the official word from Microsoft is that horizontal scrolling is supported in Photoshop on the Macintosh platform only–it’s not yet supported in the Windows PC version. It sounds like support for horizontal scrolling is in the pipeline, though.

Robyn Peterson
PC Magazine / ExtremeTech"

Unfortunately the date on that post was Sept. 16, 2003; it looks like the pipeline is pretty long.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 18, 2004
thanks for the info mike, but lighten up a bit. please!
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 18, 2004
Michael,

Tilt-wheel support hasn’t been added natively to Photoshop because there hadn’t been any demand for it. I’ll keep it in mind, but our primary target for an enhanced interface will probably continue to be tablets. I’m sure Microsoft will add some sort of default behavior for applications that don’t handle it natively. But it did take them a while to get the scroll wheel right, so it will take some patience.

-Scott
MT
michael_tee
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks for the info Scott, that’s all i was looking for. As for lightening up, this matter was hardly life or death but i don’t think i was out of line. Had i asked the typical "my shortcuts don’t work" or "my serial number expired" i’d expect the discussion to turn to mess, i didn’t though. The reason this board is pretty successful imo is that legit questions 99% of the time get good answers, it’s frustrating to ask a real question and get nothing but hijack garbage back.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 19, 2004
Maybe because you asked a question for which there was no answer–a frivolous mouse feature that exists only as something that reviewers would give points for in comparison reviews–and you assumed that everyone would drop everything and do your research for you.

it’s frustrating to ask a real question and get nothing but hijack garbage back.

Have a nice day.
MT
michael_tee
Feb 19, 2004
Let’s get one thing straight, i never assumed anyone would drop anything and research. I wouldn’t have posted anything at all had i been able to find anything relevant. If you can find all this info that i obviously couldn’t then by all means do show me i’d love to read it, if not take your bull sh*t posts and sarcasm elsewhere.

Also what may seem "frivolous" to you, is actually quite useful in the programs that do support it. Dreamweaver 04′, Excel, and Access all come to mind as programs that i couldn’t use anymore without horizontal scrolling. Horizontal scrolling isn’t some fad that will come and go, i’m sure you hadn’t noticed but the tilt wheel is becoming a standard for MS’s new mouses. That being said I can guarantee you within a year logitech and the other mouse makers will also have some kind of variant of the tilt wheel that allows users to scroll horizontally.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 19, 2004
ok mike LET’S get one thing straight. We get it. We agree it is (or could be) a serious topic, is for you. Is it worth getting so upset over that you alienate the people who would help you in the future by calling them topic hijackers with stupid comments? Or would it be better to just post a friendly "Come on guys, I’m serious".

I’m guessing you got marked "Needs Improvement" on "Works and Plays Well With Others" in the second grade.

i’m sure you hadn’t noticed but the tilt wheel is becoming a standard for MS’s new mouses.

mice. no. hadn’t noticed that.

That being said I can guarantee you within a year logitech and the other mouse makers will also have some kind of variant of the tilt wheel that allows users to scroll horizontally.

Excellent. We can all use guarantees. Where do I collect if MS refuses to license the patent or wants to charge more than the other mouse makers are willing to pay?

Have a nice day.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections