MS
Posted By
Mark_S_Linley
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a rectangular JPEG showing a line of bricks. I want to bend it so it will look like an archway. I cannot figure out how you bend a graphic to achieve my goal. Can anyone tell me?

Please help I’m getting very desperate!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 16, 2004
Seeing as you are desperate I’ll give you a quick fix. Somebody else might have a better one.

Work on a copy and save it first in PSD format. Use the shear filter and then Transform – Distort or Free Transform. You will need to make the background into a layer first. DClick on background layer in the layers palette. Then increase your canvas size so you have room to distort it. Use shear filter to bend it and then Transform to taste. You will be left with your warped wall on a transparent background. You can then crop to size.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 16, 2004
I had the same problem the other day Mark.

Rotate 90, then filter>distort>shear?

followed by transform>distort (or perspective) if you need the edges to turn in a little bit.
MS
Mark_S_Linley
Feb 16, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like shear is what I need but can’t control the damn thing. All I want is a U shape and I can bend the bricks round that way. Just seem to make it look like a nervous snake shape!! 🙁
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 16, 2004
I can’t say I have ever used the shear filter but the key here seems to be to have the object (I’m using a pattern to see how it works) placed dead centre vertically with plenty of transparent area around it (that’s why you increase the canvas size). Then shear the entire layer, not a selection. Just click once in the middle of the line and drag that point one way, then the two end points the other way.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 16, 2004
when the shear window opens, click in the centre of the line, and just move slightly to the left or right, no need to touch top or bottem, then aply.
MS
Mark_S_Linley
Feb 16, 2004
Once again, thanks for your advice. Looks like Photoshop isn’t up to it so I’ll try and fob the client off with something else. Pity.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 16, 2004
do you have corel or illustrator? it would be a sinch in there?, you could also just cookie stamp it out in Photoshop.
P
Phosphor
Feb 16, 2004
Without the benefit of other software, I’d be inclined to create a new archway with paths, then fill all the brick-shaped sub-paths with an appropriate texture. Mortar in behind, then some creative application of Layer Styles to get the proper rounded beveling in the mortar lines.

More work, but better results.

Trying to bend a straight course of bricks into an arch is never going to look very good.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 16, 2004
Try playing with the Filter->Distort->Poral Coordiantes. You’ll need to put the bricks on their own layer, and play around with adding to the canvas size.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 16, 2004
Mark,

The brickwork over an arch is always laid with the bricks ‘vertical’, (if they weren.t, the arch would colapse, as those bricks act as a keystone) but normally only for a single course, so I don’t think there is a cat-in-hell’s chance of creating a realistic looking arch from a ‘wall’ by bending it.

You would be better off ‘cutting’ the archway out of an existing wall-shot and then re-aranging the brickwork into a ‘fan-pattern’ over the arch by copying individual bricks and rotating them.
M
mcanchari
Feb 27, 2004
Taken care of
when you use the filter to shear 2 or 3 times mountain range 7 Photoshop Somebody save so that it happens east problem

Thanks
Miguel Canchari
P
Phosphor
Feb 27, 2004
KA
Kelli_Aylesworth
Feb 27, 2004
Not that it would be realistic, but could you make an archway with some work with Liquify? Isn’t there a tool in there that will "push" the pixels around?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections