Posted By
Tess2004
Feb 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi –
I’m an flight attendant returning to college and having trouble with my,, photoshop class. Next project is to create a splash page for web,, and i have no idea where to start.. nothing in our text book about it. anyone have any ideas where i can start or get help.

Very much appreciated and advice you can give

and happy valentines day

maria

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 14, 2004
Maria,

The first question I have is whether you actually mean a "splash page", which is often a pop-up banner that identifies a product when launched, or do you mean a "home page" for the web, such as where you might introduce a web site, provding links to other information contained within it? These are two rather different things that could affect the direction others suggest you to look for ideas on.

I general though, putting few search terms into Google, at <http://www.google.com>, should help you get some ideas flowing.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 14, 2004
I have seen splash page as a synonym for home page, so I suspect this is the requirement. I suspect that what you want to do is to produce a 800×600 image that will entice people to delve further into the website.

Your best bet is to spend some time going through the web and looking at initial pages for sites. Of course, over the years, fewer sites have a splash page, and most just start with a content listing. (Probably you are being taught curriculum that was developed five or six years ago.) Those few that use splash pages tend to use Flash movies for the splash.

Good luck with your schooling. I am now nearing (two more months) the end of an effort to finally get a degree before I turn 50.
T
Tess2004
Feb 14, 2004
I mean the second a home page or intro page,,, and yes i did try a gogle search that did NOT give me any help,,that is why i am here.

thanks
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 14, 2004
Maria,

OK…I didn’t really think about the splash pages used for websites in the context as Don mentioned. But, perhaps that is exactly what your project goal is. After all, if this for a Photoshop class, then there really isn’t much that should be expected from you insofar as creating a web page, much less one with Flash animation or other such things that can’t be done in Photoshop.

It sounds to me as though what may be desired is some sort of interesting graphic that presents the theme of the website and hopefully draws the visitor in, wanting to explore the site. Since Photoshop and ImageReady aren’t really designed so much for creating text-based pages, then I’d be inclined to go with an assumption that any text on your splash page would be text embedded in the graphics and possibly used as links to other areas, via image mapping.

If you are looking not so much for a "how to" as a "what about", then ideas for a website might be something you feel knowledgeable about enough to share. For example, as a flight attendant, did you learn a lot of useful travel tips that a website could elaborate upon? Or, did you learn things useful to share with other flight attendants, and particularly those who are new to the profession? For whatever topic you might choose, can you think of a few images you could assemble together to create an interesting graphic for a splash page?

I don’t really know too much what to suggest, but maybe that helps some.

Regards,

Daryl
PC
Patty_Clarke
Feb 15, 2004
Daryl,

What great idea motivators you shared with Maria.

Maria,

In my photoshop class when the "web project" was assigned–it was to be like Daryl and Don described–not a working web deal, but just a graphic compilation.

But we couldn’t just pick any idea, we had to choose the "ugliest department" site on the college website and redesign the graphic layout. I’m proud to share my project with you because it was chosen to actually be used on the college site. I did nothing else other than the photo collage. (In other words, I take no responsbility for any of the ugly text and graphics etc.)

<http://www.miracosta.edu/healthocc/>

So, I’d go with Daryl’s thoughts of using the flight attendant idea–maybe even make it humorous.

Good luck,

Patty
PC
Patty_Clarke
Feb 15, 2004
And Don–Congratulations on reaching your degree goal. It surely is a fine sense of accomplishment, isn’t it?

Patty 🙂
P
Phosphor
Feb 15, 2004
Have a look at <http://www.teamphotoshop.com>.

A bunch of the regulars from the forum there have created what most people know as website splash pages. They’re on a random rotation script, and you can keep reloading to see different ones.

I think there are 16 or 17 different ones, and you’ll get to see how these people individually came up with their own ideas for an intro to the site.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 15, 2004
Thanks Patty, although I’m not quite there yet. <G>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections