Does PhotoShop use only system level Color management for devices?

MD
Posted By
Matthew_Don
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t seem to see anywhere in PhotoShop’s Color settings to specify device profiles (monitor, printer, scanner, etc). Does it just always use the color profile that is set in the Driver’s color management settings? From the tests I’ve done it seems to be that way, but I wanted to get some confirmation on this from someone to knows 🙂

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GC
Graeme Cogger
Feb 13, 2004
In article ,
says…
I can’t seem to see anywhere in PhotoShop’s Color settings to specify device profiles (monitor, printer, scanner, etc). Does it just always use the color profile that is set in the Driver’s color management settings? From the tests I’ve done it seems to be that way, but I wanted to get some confirmation on this from someone to knows 🙂

Thanks!

The monitor profile used is simply the system default monitor profile.
Scanner profiles need to be applied to scanned images using Image->Mode->Assign Profile.
Printer profiles are set when you use ‘Print with preview’, in the ‘Print space’ area of the dialog. If you are doing this, make sure the printer driver is set to some sort of ‘No colour adjustment’ mode.
You also need to set a working space in Edit->Color settings.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 13, 2004
You shouldn’t have to specify a display profile.

And you specify the printer profile when you print.

And you convert from the scanner profile when you open the file.

No, it can’t use the OS level support for several reasons.
MD
Matthew_Don
Feb 16, 2004
Thanks for the reply Chris. Just a few more questions:

1. If I want to use a custom monitor profile I have to specify it somewhere. From what I can tell Photoshop just uses the profile that is specified in the Monitor’s driver. If I change it there, PhotoShop’s colors change accordingly.

2. Printer profile – Where can I specify this at print time? In PS 5.5 I could do this, but I see no profile selection interface in PhotoShop’s print dialogue. The only place I see to change it is in the printer driver itself.

If PhotoShop is using the OS’s printer and monitor color profiles (and with the CMM set to ICM) with nowhere in the application to change these profiles this is essentially system (OS) level color management. Please correct me if I way off here.

Thanks,
Matt
MD
Matthew_Don
Feb 16, 2004
Ahha! I found where to specify the Printer profile in the Print preview dialogue. Thanks for the help!
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 16, 2004
You specify the display profile in the OS (but most calibration packages take care of it for you).

2. Yes, in the print preview dialog.

3. Windows doesn’t have OS level color management. If you select ICM mode in the printer dialog, the printer driver uses information from the application and itself to do a conversion – but none of it happens automatically because of the OS.
J
john
Feb 17, 2004
wrote in message news:…

Thanks!

Photoshop Gamma Loader will load any monitor ICC profile that you specify. If you don’t have calibration software and sensor, e-mail support at your monitor manufacturer’s website for the phosphors and gamma settings for your specific model. You can enter this information into Photoshop (Windows) by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Adobe Gamma>Control Panel>Custom. Name it and set it as the default. Then, enter the information from the manufacturer. It’s as close as you’re going to get without calibration gear. For Adobe Gamma Loader to effect control, it has to be placed in your Startup folder.

Take a look at Photoshop Color Management Workflows at
http://monacosys.com/workflows.html. Click on either 6 or 7, depending on the version you are using. It will walk you through the steps for entering working space and output profiles.

Without an investment in color management software and hardware, you’ll have to use successive approximation to get everything the way you want it. It’s important to keep in mind that every paper/ink combination requires a different printer profile.

Understand that the above is very abbreviated but will hopefully be enough to get you on the path towards good color management.

John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections