CW
Posted By
christine_wolfe
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to color a line art drawing (black and white) that I drew, but the colors I use obscure/affect the black line art, how do I avoid this? Isn’t there something I’m supposed to do to preserve the black art, to essentially place the color behind the line art? Please help, it’s driving me crazy!! Thanx- CW

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 11, 2004
You need to put the colour on its own layer and I suppose put that below the line art.

If you just have one layer now, you need to double click on its name in the Layers palette and accept its new name. Then create a new layer and drag it underneath the line art layer. Make the layer with the line art current and select the white areas [magic wand perhaps]. When you have that all selected, hit DEL. Now make the lower layer current and start painting.

Hope that this makes some sense or gets you going in the right direction. It’s been a long time since I used PS 5 [I now use PS 7], but I think all these things work.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Feb 11, 2004
Colin’s idea will work but I’d suggest using the magic wand then quickmask, depending on how complex the line art is, and I’d also suggest a layer mask rather than delete.
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 11, 2004
Emma

I agree with your comments. However, I figured that, if Christine is unfamilar with layers, layer masks may be a big step. Personally, I almost never delete anything and use layer masks all the time.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Feb 11, 2004
Good point, Collin. (But yeah, me too.)
BG
barry_gray
Feb 11, 2004
No layer mask in PS 5 ??
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 11, 2004
No layer mask in PS 5 ??

Not sure. It did have QuickMask.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Feb 11, 2004
I don’t quite remember either. I think I remember reading somewhere in the forums once something about layermask not being in 5… but I’m not sure if that was ever verified.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 12, 2004
yes there are/were layermasks in V5
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Feb 12, 2004
No need to erase the white areas of the drawing – just set the blend mode to Multiply.
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 12, 2004
No need to erase the white areas of the drawing – just set the blend mode to Multiply

And, Christine, this is a guide to "Photoshop rule #1" – there are always at least 3 ways to do anything … 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections