CL
Posted By
Charlie Lj
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I decided to upgrade my Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS, can I still use both my Photoshop 7 on an older machine and Photoshop CS on my newwer machine? Or do I have to use only one version?

Anyone knows the licensing issue on this situation?

Thanks!

ljCharlie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 9, 2004
Charlie, I can’t quote you the exact wording on the license but, yes, you’re allowed to keep the previous version on your machine for a "transition" period while you learn and get used to the new version.

In my case, PS7 may stay on my machine for a long time. <g>
J
JasonSmith
Feb 9, 2004
At least on the Mac, it wont let you boot both versions at the same time.

This wasnt the case in previous versions.
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 9, 2004
can I still use both my Photoshop 7 on an older machine and Photoshop
CS on my newwer machine?

No, legally you can’t do that. You can keep both versions but they must be on the same machine.

Bob
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 9, 2004
On Windows, I’ve never been able to open both a new and a previous version at the same time. Haven’t had a need to do that very often, but as far as I know you can’t do it.

Charlie, I should have added that you can keep both new and old versions on the same machine.
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 9, 2004
You can keep both versions but they must be on the same machine.

I didn’t know that, Bob. Seems odd, since you are allowed to have PS installed on two machines, just not allowed to use them both at once.
CL
Charlie Lj
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks you guys! I guess I’ll have to buy a full version then because I want to use on both machines.

ljCharlie
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 9, 2004
just not allowed to use them both at once.

I got the idea that he wanted to use both at the same time.

Bob
B
Brian
Feb 9, 2004
can I still
use both my Photoshop 7 on an older machine and Photoshop CS on my newwer machine?

You cannot move the old copy to another machine. You can keep it on the machine you’ve installed CS to, for a "transitional period" (whatever that means).
B
Brian
Feb 9, 2004
I got the idea that he wanted to use both at the same time.

He does – on two different machines.
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 9, 2004
He does – on two different machines.

Which is why I said he COULDN’T do it legally.

Bob
JJ
Jay Jhabrix
Feb 10, 2004
Well… logically, i’d say Charlie can…. ‘cos he never said he wanted to use them simultaneously… just that he wanted to retain PS 7 on an older machine. So the logic is this:

1/ You’re allowed to use PS 7 on two machines but not simultaneously

2/ You’re allowed to use PS CS on two machines but not simultaneously

3/ You’re allowed to use the older version for an indefinite ‘transition’ period

4/ So, where’s the problem? All he has to do, at the very maximum, is install CS on the older machine as well and not use it if he doesn’t want to.

And, even if he has 7 open on one machine and CS on the other it could be construed as checking out something or the other 🙂

Cheers…

JJ
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Feb 10, 2004
At least on the Mac, it wont let you boot both versions at the same time.

Yes it will. Just launch 7.01 first then CS, then…read EULA. 😉
I
ID._Awe
Feb 10, 2004
Charlie, if you didn’t ask the question, no one would have known. Adobe has your number now!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections