TS
Posted By
Tom_Semmes
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A client of mine has sent me a Word file that contains images that he wants me to use. How do I extract these images from Word? I tried to cut and paste but get a much lower resolution image. The images are embedded in the document and I don’t have the original files for them.

TGS

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

I
ID._Awe
Feb 5, 2004
The only way I have found is to print them to a PDF. I think you can also print them to file as an EPS and open that in PS or AI.
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 5, 2004
You need an intermediate step to get the full resolution. Photoshop simply can’t read it.

I believe that you need to paste it to MS Photo Editor and save as TIFF from there.

Bob
JM
John_Mensinger
Feb 5, 2004
Tom,

I sympathize…

Depending on the original images that were imported to the Word document, you may never get adequate print resolution. As I have done many times, beg them to never…ever do that. Just don’t expect them to understand your answer when they ask you…"why not?"
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Feb 5, 2004
I have had to do this at work as well, and one thing I have noticed is that the resolution of the document you are pasting into in Photoshop affects how large it is. Try pasting the graphic into an image that has a fairly high dpi already. (make sure it isn’t 72dpi, at least.)
LL
Larry_Ligon
Feb 6, 2004
ID.Ave how to you print a document from Word to PDF? I see no option in Word to do this.

Larry
TE
Tin Ear
Feb 6, 2004
wrote in message
ID.Ave how to you print a document from Word to PDF? I see no option in
Word to do this.
You need Adobe Acrobat. Not the reader, but the full package. Once installed, you print to a bogus printer, much like a fax application, and the PDF is generated. Real handy tool! That’s just the beginning of what it can do. T’aint cheap, but it’s a lot less expensive that Photoshop and I can’t live without mine. Comes bundled with CS Pro too. Visit Adobe for details.

Has anyone suggested a screen capture utility? I don’t know about the resolution aspect, but I use a program called SnagIt for my screen captures that go into other documents. I’ve never tried this with images in a Word Document, but it works great for capturing whatever is onscreen. Usually I use it for creating custom documentation showing actual working screens. For details, go to
www.techsmith.com
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 6, 2004
The MS Photo Editor, pretty much junk, IS generally able to get the full rez files back out of Word/PowerPoint. ‘Bout all it’s good for.

Copy the pic from Word then Paste as New Image in MS Photo Editor.

Mac
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 6, 2004
Mac, it’s certainly not Photoshop, but for this purpose it’s a nice stepping stone.

BTW, I understand Corel PhotoPaint can also handle the full resolution of pasted MS graphics.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 6, 2004
BTW, I understand Corel PhotoPaint can also handle the full resolution of pasted MS graphics.

I never had any luck with it, up through version 9.

Dunno about Word, but in PowerPoint, if you place too large an image in, you won’t get it back out period, except as a blank grayscale image. This seems to happen somewhere around 6MB image, uncompressed size. At least this bug exists in Win9x, as I’ve seen it many times trying to dink with different images this way that crashed trying to image to film recorder.

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections