P
Posted By
PoRgeeT
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I download images from the internet, I save it a .BMP, the only other option is .ART. The thing is when I open it in Photoshop, it says something like "unable to open image because an invalid JPEG marker type was found" (that may not be the exact wording)

This is really annoying me, I want to get some pictures but I can’t open them.

Thanks.

-PoRgeeT-

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 5, 2004
When I download images from the internet, I save it a .BMP

That’s not how it works. You need to save it as what it is, which is most likely JPG or GIF.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 6, 2004
..bmp is sometimes the only option if temp internet file allocation is full.

Or might be because downloading from AOL site where files are saved as ..art. Or might be because using AOL brower?

Mac
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 6, 2004
in ie’s options (advanced) turn off "smart" image dithering under multimedia. it’s on by default…
P
PoRgeeT
Feb 7, 2004
I am using AOL, the defult file is .ART I tried that and it doesn’t evwn show up when I try to open it in Photoshop. So iI tried .BMP but it says invalid JPG marker type.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

-PoRgeeT-
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2004
Don’t use aol’s browser. Use IE or Mozilla

<http://www.mozilla.org>
DK
deana_kuchlewski
Feb 12, 2004
Hi,

I am new to photoshop and was experiencing a similar problem. I couldn’t open/view jpeg files. I don’t know what caused it, but I finally figured out how to view the pictures. Under AOL I choose File-Open my Picture Finder. I open the folder where my pics are stored and magically they all appear. I then have to open and resave them (I save them in jpeg format). Although the original file can’t be read the newly saved one can. I know this is time consuming, but it works for me.

Deana
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 12, 2004
.bmp is sometimes the only option if temp internet file allocation is full

I had this experience. I tried to save an image on the Web. It was a GIF – I could see by looking at its properties. IE would only let me save a BMP. I found that clearing the "temporary files" sorted the problem. Sounds like a bug in IE, as nobody can explain any logic in it [to me].

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections