Posted By
mike.iwasiow
Sep 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve been using PS for a long time but not a graphics pro… I was working on a very simple image the other day and noticed that when I changed color modes (from CMYK to RBG and back to CMYK) the size of the GIF image (using "Save for Web…" feature) dramatically increases every time I change image modes:

Original image in CMYK…

Image Mode: CMYK
Image Width: 183px
Image Height: 488px
Image Res: 135px/in
Pixel Dimensions: 349 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 3.195 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

Change Image Mode to RGB…

Image Mode: RGB
Pixel Dimensions: 262 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 16.67 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

Change Image Mode back to CMYK…

Image Mode: CMYK
Pixel Dimensions: 349 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 25.13 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

I am guessing that this has something to do with PS adapting color palettes as you switch from one mode to another, thereby increasing the range of colors. If I am on the right track, then I still don’t understand the big difference in image sizes bcs all 3 images are saved as GIFs using a selective palette of only 16 colors. Can someone explain what PS is doing here?

Thank you.
Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
Sep 22, 2005
wrote:
Hello,
/snip/
I am guessing that this has something to do with PS adapting color palettes as you switch from one mode to another, thereby increasing the range of colors. If I am on the right track, then I still don’t understand the big difference in image sizes bcs all 3 images are saved as GIFs using a selective palette of only 16 colors. Can someone explain what PS is doing here?

Thank you.
Mike
If you are working with/making gifs there is no reason that I can think of to convert to CMYK. Why are you doing that?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections