BW
Posted By
Bob Williams
Sep 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I frequently use the Magic Wand for selecting subjects.
As I understand it, the MW selects on the basis of light or dark. Do any of the versions of PS allow the MW to select on the basis of Color. For instance, if I capture a predominantly Green foreground on a predominantly Blue background but both are close to the same lightness (Luminance?), the MW doesnt do such a great job of selecting. Is there some trick I can use to make the selection on the basis of a predominant color.
I use PS 5.0, 7.0, and CS.
Thanks,
Bob Williams

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GD
George Dingwall
Sep 16, 2005
Hi Bob,

Try Select/Colour Range.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:03:48 -0700, Bob Williams
wrote:

As I understand it, the MW selects on the basis of light or dark. Do any of the versions of PS allow the MW to select on the basis of Color. For instance, if I capture a predominantly Green foreground on a predominantly Blue background but both are close to the same lightness (Luminance?), the MW doesnt do such a great job of selecting. Is there some trick I can use to make the selection on the basis of a predominant color.
Thanks,
Bob Williams

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html
JR
John Rampling
Sep 16, 2005
Good reply from George but try this alternative; use the Magic Wand on the particular color channel you want to use (turning the other channels off temporarily). When you turn the other channels back on your selection will apply to the whole image.

Hope this works
John.

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
Thanks,
Bob Williams
T
Tacit
Sep 16, 2005
In article <7UvWe.253235$>,
Bob Williams wrote:

As I understand it, the MW selects on the basis of light or dark. Do any of the versions of PS allow the MW to select on the basis of Color.

You understand incorrectly. The Magic Wand selects on the basis of color. If you have a red area and a blue area with the same luminosity (light or dark), the Magic Wand will select the red without the blue or vice-versa.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BW
Bob Williams
Sep 17, 2005
tacit wrote:

In article <7UvWe.253235$>,
Bob Williams wrote:

As I understand it, the MW selects on the basis of light or dark. Do any of the versions of PS allow the MW to select on the basis of Color.

You understand incorrectly. The Magic Wand selects on the basis of color. If you have a red area and a blue area with the same luminosity (light or dark), the Magic Wand will select the red without the blue or vice-versa.

Thanks all.
I’ll do a little experimenting.
Bob
Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections