RG
Posted By
Richard_Geisler
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched through, and found a few posts about photoshop working fine on the new 64 bit chips, but was wondering what adobe’s plans were for actually putting out a new photoshop that will take advantage of the new chips. Big difference between "supporting" and "taking advantage of." Haven’t found anything online about this. Is it a year, 3 years, 5 years away? Share your thoughts 🙂

Richard

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
When will photoshop go to 64 bit?

When will commercial windows be 64 bit? Or commercial OSX?
J
Jim
Feb 3, 2004
I suppose Adobe plans to provide a 64 bit verion of PS when the cpu chips are available, in production, and inside of computers. Until then, there really isn’t any point to such an effort.

Besides, the port to a 64 bit computer might not be that difficult unless PS has internal data structures that are designed for a 32 bit cup. Jim
wrote in message
I’ve searched through, and found a few posts about photoshop working fine
on the new 64 bit chips, but was wondering what adobe’s plans were for actually putting out a new photoshop that will take advantage of the new chips. Big difference between "supporting" and "taking advantage of." Haven’t found anything online about this. Is it a year, 3 years, 5 years away? Share your thoughts 🙂
Richard
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Feb 3, 2004
When will commercial windows be 64 bit?

It already is <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.asp>. This version is for the AMD x86-64 instruction set extensions. You can get Windows XP 64-bit for Itanim < http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.as p> by purchasing a workstation with it pre-installed. Most Itanium systems though are being built as servers not workstations.

OS X probably won’t be fully 64-bit until most mac users are using G5 systems or newer (G6, G7, Gwhatever…) I doubt Apple would be all that keen to support four operating systems (OS X, OS X Server, OS X-64, OS X-64 Server), they’re not Microsoft after all.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
standard, home user compatable, off the shelf, win-it-in-a-raffle version of windows stuart. not some $5000 dollar version.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 is available from computer manufacturers with the purchase of a new Intel Itanium Processor Family workstation.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
ok, it’s 400 bux for the os:

<http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=2380153>

but it only runs on itanium.

HP Itanium system starting at $3500 < http://h71016.www7.hp.com/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=197 01&SBLID=&ProductLineId=433&FamilyId=1427&Lo wBaseId=&LowPrice=>

but ps won’t run on it. 🙂
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Feb 3, 2004
Well, actually Dave, PS should run on the Itanium systems it just won’t run as well as if it were on an x86 system. Itaniums run all IA-32 code through an emulator on the chip. It’s a performance buster but quite frankly, it would still be more powerful than the dual Xeon PII 245 system I’m running now 🙂 Also keep in mind that these are workstations not some home built or white box system. They use top of the line components.
HD
hot_denim
Feb 3, 2004
1st things 1st;

Does a 64-bit executable producing version of Visual C++ exist ? (P-CS uses it)
RH
r_harvey
Feb 3, 2004
Yep.
RM
Rick Moore
Feb 3, 2004
If you look at the site Stuart provided, there is a downloadable free trial version for the Opteron and Athlon64

but it only runs on itanium.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
from the bleeding-edge-pain dept.
MBCook writes "I just notice that Microsoft has a new Windows XP 64-Bit Customer Preview Program starting today (February 3rd). If you have a AMD <http://www.amd.com/> Opteron or Athlon64, you can go to the download page < http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.a sp> to get your copy. It’s a pre-release copy that will expire in 360 days (which probably means the final will be out by then). Now Intel just changed their 64-bit plans, and all of a sudden this appears. Speculate away!"

– Windows XP 64-Bit Customer Preview Program < http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/03/2221224.shtml?tid=185& amp;tid=190&tid=201> [slashdot.org]
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2004
It’s a pre-release copy that will expire in 360 days (which probably means the final will be out by then).

(which probably means the final will be out by fall 2005).
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
sizeof(int) == 4
sizeof(LPTR) == 8

While a physical address is 40- or 42-bits (the 970 is 40 and X86-64 is 42, or the other way around), a pointer is 64-bits. Many programs assume that an int is the same size as a pointer, so that’s going to be a horrible nightmare to check, let alone fix, in big programs.

Apparently some parts of Photoshop have used signed pointers, so there may be quite some work ahead.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 4, 2004
IBM has just started advertising Linux.
How many bits is that?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2004
Many programs assume that an int is the same size as a pointer,

I think that’s a long, no? Been a while since I used C++ on a regular basis.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
Since Win32 came around, for many, int==long. Alas.

How many bits is that?

You mean the super-secret "Blue Linux" that is only used in-house, or the one they’re using on servers? No matter, it can compile 32- or 64-bits. The issue is if it includes libraries so that you can run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit platform (much like Win32 thunks down to Win16); it should.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 4, 2004
sizeof(int) = 4
sizeof(long) = 4
sizeof(long long) = 8
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
D’oh, and I’ve read the docs, too! I’d forgotten about long long. Use it or lose it, I guess. I was having enough trouble keeping MASM’s qword in mind.
TT
Toby_Thain
Feb 4, 2004
wrote

sizeof(int) = 4 sizeof(long) = 4 sizeof(long long) = 8

….and on 64-bit architectures, sizeof(T*) == 8 also.

I doubt Photoshop code does naughty things like storing pointers in ints or longs.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
sizeof(long long) > sizeof(long) >= sizeof(int) >= sizeof(short)

A lot of code (I’m not saying Adobe code…) assumes that a pointer will fit in some kind of integer. We can’t assume that a pointer relates to any integer size; it’s sizeof(void*). It’s known at compile-time, but not necessarily when you are staring at the source code.
Q
Quale
Feb 4, 2004
Back to the original poster’s question about when will a version of PS take advantage of a 64-bit OS, never mind that a 64-bit OS is sort-of officially available as of today. "Take advantage of" asks when will PS be able to address more than 2 gig of memory. Given the right h/w setup and OS, we want to quickly run our Shadow/Highlight adjustments and filters on big files.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
It will take a 64-bit operating system to host a 64-bit version of Photoshop. You can use some of the features of a 64-bit CPU while running a 32-bit operating system, but it requires a 64-bit operating system to offer greater than 32-bits of address space. You don’t release commercial software using beta release software development tools, for a beta release operating system.

A true 64-bit application will have to wait for a commercial 64-bit operating system.
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 4, 2004
This is fun!

You can rest assured we are keeping a very close eye on how the 64-bit desktop market develops. Microsoft hasn’t *released* an OS yet, but the new public beta is very interesting. We’ll see if Intel clarifies their roadmap any over the next month. I would personally love to see them move towards an AMD64 compatible solution – I can dream, can’t I?

As the guy who originally ported the PostScript engine to a 64-bit OS (Dec Alpha – now *there* was a 64 bit processor!), I’m well aware of the issues and methods for doing such things :-).

-Scott
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
We’ll see Intel’s Yamhill (X86-64 extensions for P4) before we see Apple’s Marklar (OS/X for X86).

It’s kind of on the topic, but I just wanted to say Yamhill and Marklar.
Q
Quale
Feb 4, 2004
I think you guys are right in that in order for a PS 64-bit to become a reality not only does a retail version of Windows XP 64-bit need be available (which of no coincidence is when Intel will have their Yamhill-thingy on the market), but there will need to be a pretty extensive Adobe team effort to port PSCS to 64-bits (they’re working it now, don’t you know). So Q4 2004 will be the earliest we will see a PCSC extension that takes advantage of 64-bit architecture. Definitely by the next whole version release will it be advertised as one of the major reasons to upgrade. Limited 64-bit capability could be added before the next release, just as there was limited ability to work on 16-bit files in PS7 (though 64-bit stuff is altogether different coding effort).
AL
Adam_Lane
Feb 4, 2004
Apple’s Marklar is pretty Marklar. I can’t wait until Marklar is available so that I can Marklar the Marklar with an eye towards measuring the Marklar’s Marklar.

I need a break.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2004
I’m guessing it’ll be when MS releases a commercial version of 64 bit windows. Oh wait. I said that in post 1. Carry on. 🙂
RH
r_harvey
Feb 4, 2004
No, you phrased it as a question. Since this isn’t Jeopardy, somebody decided to answer it. Then you clarified it, then he declarified it, then you asked another question. And then it sort of settled-down to everybody having a different idea of how big a 4-byte integer is.

So, when will a 64-bit version ship?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2004
This isn’t photoshop jepoardy? I though I just hit the daily double! Oh, wait, that was a virus. %D
Q
Quale
Feb 5, 2004
Ramdisk like programs can convert a PCs ram to function like a hard disk drive. With an Opteron dual board stuffed with 8 or even 16 gig of ram, any extra ram unused by the OS or PS can be configured into a little 14 gig hard disk (0.5 to Windows XP 64-bit, 1.5 to PS, for example). Assign primary scratch disk to the simulated 14 gig drive, maybe turn history states to 1. Work big files without use of NY Times crossword puzzles. Sure, PS 64-bit and 64-bit plugins will better take advantage of the new architecture, but big file users don’t need to wait for proof of existence of a 4-byte integer.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 17, 2004
proof of existence of a 4-byte integer.

Integers are as big or as small as the compiler tells you. Nothing more, nothing less.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 18, 2004
Hey, r_harvey, I live on Yamhill! I get to say it every day.;-)

I yam what I yam.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Yamhill’s here!

Planet Xeon <http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/27/09OPcurve_1.html>
[InfoWorld]
M
marionbabich
Mar 3, 2004
Ok, I’m sittin’ here on my AMD 64 3200+ waitin’. When PS goes to the 64 bit I’ll be ready. Just hope my system isn’t outdated first. LOL
Marion
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 10, 2004
The problem of the confusion in this thread is that Microsoft has a 64bit os, but for the itanium (also known as itanic : D )-a server/specialized workstation processor and is beta testing another windows XP x86-64 for AMD Opterons and Athlon 64, and the upcoming Intels with 64bit processor for desktop (which will be compatible with AMD’s code)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections