How to stop CS from calling home at start?

FF
Posted By
Francoise_Frigola
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS, Win XP, DSL.

When I start PS CS, at least once a day, it definitively goes on-line, and waits, sometimes for over 2 minutes. My router shows line activity.

Is there a preference I can change to prevent this? The PS7 setup does not work in CS.

Thanks,

Franou

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 3, 2004
There’s nothing in Photoshop CS to "call home" once you’ve activated it. There is a bug in the Version Cue stuff that always looks for a server on the local machine (127.0.0.1) even when you haven’t enabled it.

Are you sure it’s not a plug-in or something else on the machine?

-Scott
TA
Timo Autiokari
Feb 3, 2004
wrote:

CS, Win XP, DSL.
When I start PS CS, at least once a day, it definitively goes on-line, and waits, sometimes for over 2 minutes. My router shows line activity.

Hello Francoise, do you have a good anti-virus software running? You should. There appears to be virus(es) or trojan(s) that can hit on the activation code, if not specifically target at it. The malware can infect what ever communication sw, the activation thing is no different in this regards.

Timo Autiokari
FF
Francoise_Frigola
Feb 3, 2004
Thanks – Can you tell me more / where can I find information about "bug in the Version Cue stuff that always looks for a server on the local machine (127.0.0.1) even when you haven’t enabled it."

That would fit my setting and what happens.

I have not installed extra plug-ins and I have verified several times that noting else is running/accessing the Internet. If I disable the LAN connection, PS starts just fine.

Franou
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 4, 2004
There isn’t any more information beyond what I wrote. It’s a bug. Now, the better question to ask, is what about your machine’s networking configuration is causing the DNS request for "localhost" to actually go out over the wire like that?

-Scott
FF
Francoise_Frigola
Feb 5, 2004
Good point! I’ll look into it.

Thanks,

Franou
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 6, 2004
Contacting localhost shouldn’t cause a DNS request or network activation (unless the network driver is REALLY, REALLY buggy).

More likely you have a default printer on the network, or a reference (shortcut/alias/whatever) to some file on the network in one of the Photoshop folders.
FF
Francoise_Frigola
Feb 6, 2004
YES Chris!

I set my printers to "do not share" and PS CS starts like a charm!

THANKS!

Franou

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections