MR
Posted By
Mark_Rankin
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found a work around to rescaling files that need to be put into smaller template documents. In stead of linking all the layers, dragging them to the new document/template, transforming scale and having to go back and rescaling all the layer styles (bevel, shadow, stroke, etc.)individually by layer, I would reduce the PPI/resolution setting until the pixel dimensions matched the size of the file I was dragging it to. Reducing the PPI setting reduced the size of the file to the right size and scaled the layer styles proportionally. Then you just drag and drop the layers into the new document and it fits and the layer styles stay proportional.

Now for some reason I have one particular file that this will not work on. Reducing the PPI setting on this one file only reduces the size but not the layer styles. So all the effects are 5 times too big. It’s just like when you transform down. I’ve opened older files and it still works just fine, but this one is giving me problems. I look all through the layer effects and styles and didn’t see any setting out of the norm. I did have to delete my preference files the last week because Photoshop was crashing at the initalization of the font list at start up.

Is there something in the preference files somewhere that needs to be reset so the layer style work around will work with this file?

Mark Rankin

BTW: This is my first post to this forum. I wanted to say thanks to the FAQ section for the fix to my font list crash problems last week. I follow the directions and it fixed the problem on the first attempt. Thanks everyone!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mark_Rankin
Feb 3, 2004
Nevermind, I figured it out. Layer styles that are in Layer Sets DO NOT scale when the PPI is changed in the file. You have to remove the sets to use this work around.

Unless the layer set block was done for a particular reason, it’d be a nice fix for the next update. I’m using layer sets more and more these days and getting rid of them to rescale art puts all those layers out there in a big stack. Miles and miles of scroll bar…

Thanks anyway ya’ll.

Mark
J
JasonSmith
Feb 3, 2004
What version of Photoshop are we talking about?
MR
Mark_Rankin
Feb 3, 2004
* NEWB ALERT*

Sorry, Photoshop 7 is what I’m working on. Guess I should have put that on the first post. It was my first post, I believe I just tripped right out of the starting gate. Anyway, I figured it out and all is right with the world again.

– Newbie
J
JasonSmith
Feb 3, 2004
CS fixes this. 7 & earlier: yes this was a big pain, and BTW actually isnt a typical newb question so dont feel bad.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections