TM
Posted By
The Magician
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was trying to browse some clipart discs with an image viewing program called Firehand Ember, when
things started acting weird. After browsing one folder, and moving to another…I noticed that the thumbnails no longer showed up, and had "X’s" in their place. Then everything goes wonky…and
freezes up, etc., and I get an error message saying something about Windows subsystems failing or sonething like that. I go to system resources, and find out that they are unbelievably low. Said resources were critical and at 1%.
These were clipart discs that were copied, but seemed to work before. Why would my system resources drop down so critically low just from browsing clipart? Is this because they were from my buddy’s clipart discs that I cloned? (why would that have any bearing? Bad burn?)
Is it from browsing as thumbnails?
(too many to browse or too much work for the processor?) The files are .WMF’s
I don’t understand why this is happening, or how else you would browse clipart. (Please…if you have some "moral issues" about copying clipart discs…save your comments…I want
answers and help…not opinions thanks.)
Any ideas?
Thanks!
The Magician

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

U
ued
Apr 22, 2004
I think it would have happened with the original disk too…. 🙂 Probably there were so many images to read and build the tumbnails, and you have moved the slider down or soimething. This happen the first time when the program prepare a file containing the tumbnails for a further request for an index. It wouldn’t happen if the files were .jpg I suppose.

ued

"The Magician" wrote in message
I was trying to browse some clipart discs with an image viewing program
called Firehand Ember, when
things started acting weird. After browsing one folder, and moving to
another…I noticed that the
thumbnails no longer showed up, and had "X’s" in their place. Then
everything goes wonky…and
freezes up, etc., and I get an error message saying something about
Windows subsystems failing or
sonething like that. I go to system resources, and find out that they are
unbelievably low.
Said resources were critical and at 1%.
These were clipart discs that were copied, but seemed to work before. Why would my system resources drop down so critically low just from
browsing clipart?
Is this because they were from my buddy’s clipart discs that I cloned? (why would that have any bearing? Bad burn?)
I don’t understand why this is happening, or how else you would browse
clipart.
(Please…if you have some "moral issues" about copying clipart
discs…save your comments…I want
Any ideas?
Thanks!
The Magician
D
Diane
Apr 23, 2004
I’ve got a big folder with 3 levels subfolders of .wmf clip art and that always happens to me too. I used to use Irfanview or PaintShopPro to view the thumbnails. It was too frustrating so I made contact sheets using Irfanview and now I just look at those instead to find a specific file.

D

"The Magician" wrote in message
I was trying to browse some clipart discs with an image viewing program
called Firehand Ember, when
things started acting weird. After browsing one folder, and moving to
another…I noticed that the
thumbnails no longer showed up, and had "X’s" in their place. Then
everything goes wonky…and
freezes up, etc., and I get an error message saying something about
Windows subsystems failing or
sonething like that. I go to system resources, and find out that they are
unbelievably low.
Said resources were critical and at 1%.
These were clipart discs that were copied, but seemed to work before. Why would my system resources drop down so critically low just from
browsing clipart?
Is this because they were from my buddy’s clipart discs that I cloned? (why would that have any bearing? Bad burn?)
I don’t understand why this is happening, or how else you would browse
clipart.
(Please…if you have some "moral issues" about copying clipart
discs…save your comments…I want
Any ideas?
Thanks!
The Magician
H
Hecate
Apr 24, 2004
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:57:50 -0400, "Diane" wrote:

I’ve got a big folder with 3 levels subfolders of .wmf clip art and that always happens to me too. I used to use Irfanview or PaintShopPro to view the thumbnails. It was too frustrating so I made contact sheets using Irfanview and now I just look at those instead to find a specific file.
Ember isn’t exactly known for it’s stability. 😉

If you really have lot of images consider a proper database like Thumbs Plus (www.cerious.com) which will catalogue almost anything you can think of.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
TM
The Magician
Apr 24, 2004
In article , says…
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:57:50 -0400, "Diane" wrote:
Ember isn’t exactly known for it’s stability. 😉

If you really have lot of images consider a proper database like Thumbs Plus (www.cerious.com) which will catalogue almost anything you can think of.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Used that when I first got a computer years ago.
Seemed like a kinda amateurish program back then.
Just downloaded an eval copy.
Seems like it "grew up" some!
I kinda like it!
Like a lot of it’s features…(possibly a bit TOO busy…but hey…) but one that I *don’t* like is
the fact that when you click on a file in it’s original folder…it opens the picture file in a window…then opens the program. Been searching all over for an option to just open the picture…and not the whole program, but can’t find it…combing thru the help files, and can’t seem
to locate anything there either.
Any clues Hec?
Thanks for ther tip!
The Magician
H
Hecate
Apr 25, 2004
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:50:00 GMT, The Magician
wrote:

Used that when I first got a computer years ago.
Seemed like a kinda amateurish program back then.
Just downloaded an eval copy.
Seems like it "grew up" some!
I kinda like it!
Like a lot of it’s features…(possibly a bit TOO busy…but hey…) but one that I *don’t* like is
the fact that when you click on a file in it’s original folder…it opens the picture file in a window…then opens the program. Been searching all over for an option to just open the picture…and not the whole program, but can’t find it…combing thru the help files, and can’t seem
to locate anything there either.
Any clues Hec?
Thanks for ther tip!
The Magician

You’re trying to use it like an image viewer. You don’t really want to do that. It’s a database and it compiles thumbnails of all your images. Now, like any other program you have, if you associate it with the images, clicking on the image will open the program. It doesn’t matter what the program is, that will *always* be the result. TP is best used to organise your images, though it does have quite a lot of powerful image adjustment tools as well.

However, if you just want to view an image without launching TP, you need to set up a different image viewer. Personally, I use Photopaint as it came free with CorelDraw and I haven’t really got any other use for it. However, a good alternative would be IrfanView. That will also produce thumbnails, but it doesn’t have the database capability of TP.

If you want ask questions about TP, see what’s going on, and so forth, and get replies form the people that develop the software, use the Cerious news server with you newsreader. The address you want is:

news.cerious.com

No login is required and you’ll find about a dozen newsgroups all devoted to ThumbsPlus.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections