GL
Posted By
Gareth_Lock_100271
Feb 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am planning on getting my uncle in Canada to send me a copy of CS as a present. However, I am concerned as I have heard rumours that the activation process is country specific and if I tried to register a Canadian copy in the UK it would not work.

Many Thanks

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 3, 2004
Good question. My thought is no, but this is only a guess. You will not be able to get the free goodie for registration that is offered in Canada and US. That tracks your registration country.

Anyone have more concrete knowledge.
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Feb 3, 2004
Don,

Forgive my asking, but what free goodie?

I can’t find anything by searching the Adobe site or forum.

Thanks,
Ken
GL
Gareth_Lock_100271
Feb 3, 2004
Having had a rather lengthy conversation with Tech Support in the UK re: Activation and Support issues I can confirm that Activation is not country specific but the technical support which goes with it is. What they said was that if I have a problem which requires manual activation I would have to call the US/Canada number and not the UK number for my query to be dealt with. I think I can live with this.

Thanks for your help

Gareth
T0
T_07
Feb 3, 2004
Great – we pay through the nose in the UK and get nothin’…… and they wonder why so much piracy goes on here.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
T07

high price != piracy.

thief == piracy.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 3, 2004
Ken

When you register in Canada or US, you get the Brisio font, a mag subscription, or a couple other choices. For some reason Adobe has not been able to offer the same benefits to people overseas who register. (And in my opinion, have made a marketing blunder by not coming up with a comparable gift for those people).
GL
Gareth_Lock_100271
Feb 3, 2004
When I initially spoke to Customer Support they said that I could not even activate the software in the UK! When I asked where this was written down they said it wasn’t. So I then asked to speak to the supervisor who said that it could be activated but that any support issues I may have regarding activation, or support in general, would have to be actioned through the Canadian/US support helpline.

I do not understand what the extra costs are behind the different pricing structures, other than supply and demand. If I received the software through the post from a supplier in the US (via an address in the US) I would have to pay 20.5% (VAT + 3% import duty) on top of $300 ($362=£197) vice £615 in this country. When I queried this with Adobe they said ‘I cannot comment’!

Thanks

Gareth
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Feb 3, 2004
People upgrading from an educational version have been left out of offers in the past; even if they’ve been buying ‘full’ upgrades after the initial educ. purchase.

Thanks Don.
I remember hearing about this, but extensive searching of Adobe site reveals nothing.

Anyone have a link?
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 3, 2004
Gareth

I don’t know what price your uncle can get PSCS for but the official Adobe US price is $649. $300 sounds a tad on the cheap side. Are you sure it’s legit. The full Adobe UK price is £605 including VAT. I’m not sure what the exhange rate is at the moment and it’s still a big difference but it’s no different from virtually anything else – computers, cameras etc etc. In other words, it’s not just Adobe. And it’s not just the UK either. Check out other parts of the EU.
GL
Gareth_Lock_100271
Feb 3, 2004
Sorry it is an upgrade from Elements that is $300, the UK upgrade is £515, still well expensive in my view.

Gareth
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Feb 6, 2004
Gareth:

Could you tell me now you obtained the $300 upgrade from Elements? I’d like to upgread, but I just called Adobe and they told me $499.00.

Thank you for the help.

Marshall
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 6, 2004
maybe it depends of elemnts 1 or 2? hopefully gareth will be back to help you out.

dave
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Feb 6, 2004
There is a $299 upgrade from Elements to CS promotion for people who received Elements bundled w/ Microtek scanners. You just enter the serial number and purchase.

I previously purchased Elements 2.0, but then received another copy bundled w/ a Canon camera. I wonder if that S/N will work for the upgrade?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections