How do I unlock an image – not a layer – an image?

P
Posted By
padbon
Feb 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve moved an image from one computer to my network drive and then opened it in another computer, but Photoshop tells me the image can’t be opened because the photo is locked. It tells me to go to properties to unlock the file, but that option isn’t available. Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 2, 2004
In Windows, right-click the file to get properties, and uncheck read only.
P
padbon
Feb 2, 2004
Unfortunately, read only isn’t checked.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 2, 2004
Apologies ahead of time in case this is too simple, but you never know.

You mean you TRIED to open it on another computer, and got the locked message, right?

Or you DID open it on another computer, and are getting the locked message on your own computer?

If it is open at any station that has access to the network, it will be locked to any other station that tries to open it. The same file can’t be accessed by two programs simultaneously.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 2, 2004
From a compuer that CAN access the file go to Properties, then click the Security tab. Click Add, than add Everyone. Give Everyone full access.

And if someone knows how to prevent this from occuring with every new file, please, PLEASE tell me!

Too many buttons on this mouse.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 3, 2004
Adobe’s advice is DO NOT open images across the network. Copy to the local HDD, work on it, save it to the local HDD and copy back to the network
AM
Amanda_McGall
Feb 26, 2004
If the ‘read only’ box is unchecked in the properties box, and I am not dealing with a network situation, then what is to be done?
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
Amanda,

Are you getting the same message? That the image cannot be opened because it is locked?
P
Phosphor
Feb 26, 2004
Alt + Drag/copy the file, and try opening the copy.
AM
Amanda_McGall
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks guys-

I am unable to copy, drag or create a new layer in the document. I am able to just work on that layer. What I ended up doing- and I dont know why it did not occur to me before- was selecting, cutting and pasting into a new document. I have been told there is another way around it, but this works for now.

Best regards,
Amanda
JS
John_Slate
Feb 27, 2004
well now I’m confused. Is this about files or layers? I thought the former.
NH
nh_handyman
Feb 27, 2004
its about files… I think… and I’ve run across it when saving attached files through a web-based mail utility run within Netscape. It appears to ‘lock’ the file in a hidden attribute (either doesn’t close it correctly or something). The result is network attempts on that file fail. A copy of the file, as suggested above has been my work around in the past. My ‘routine’ is now ‘save attachment’ then open location, and make a copy onto the server so I can get at it from other networked computers..

I was told that a ‘re-install of NS’ was the solution – but it wasn’t 🙂
L
LenHewitt
Feb 28, 2004
Amanda,

Are you working with a 16-bit/channel image in Photoshop 7? If so, layers are not supported and you will need to mode-change to 8-bit/channel
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Mar 2, 2004
Any chance you have opened Windows Explorer to the directory containing the image? If so, Explorer may have the file in use while it is caching a thumbprint. If it’s in a directory with a lot of large image files, this will lock the file for a considerable time, since the caching takes place in the background, most likely at a low priority. Until this process is complete, the file will be "in use" and therefore locked.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections