F
Posted By
frankg
Aug 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to retain the best possible quality, will I be maintaining the files integrity by taking jpegs shot with a digital camera and first saving a duplicate as Tif, and then doing the photoshop editing on it ?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
Aug 31, 2005
"frankg" wrote in message
Trying to retain the best possible quality, will I be maintaining the files
integrity by taking jpegs shot with a digital camera and first saving a duplicate as Tif, and then doing the photoshop editing on it ?
You only need to save the image as a tiff if you wish to retain the original version. What you see on the screen is the decompressed image. When you are done editing, then you should save it as a tiff if you anticipate further editing.
Jim
W
Waldo
Sep 1, 2005
frankg wrote:
Trying to retain the best possible quality, will I be maintaining the files integrity by taking jpegs shot with a digital camera and first saving a duplicate as Tif, and then doing the photoshop editing on it ?

Saving as TIF won’t make the original better… I always open a file, edit it and save it as PSD, so all the layer information is there as well. Finally I may convert to JPEG if it is for the web.

Waldo
DF
Derek Fountain
Sep 2, 2005
Saving as TIF won’t make the original better… I always open a file, edit it and save it as PSD, so all the layer information is there as well. Finally I may convert to JPEG if it is for the web.

That’s what I do. I’ve never seen the attraction of TIFF, although loads of people use it so I must be missing something. Presumably it’s a file size thing for people who aren’t interested in keeping layer information, etc?
J
jenelisepasceci
Sep 2, 2005
Derek Fountain wrote:

That’s what I do. I’ve never seen the attraction of TIFF, although loads of people use it so I must be missing something. Presumably it’s a file size thing for people who aren’t interested in keeping layer information, etc?

Have you ever tried to import a PSD file into powerpoint, or to save an image containing an alpha channel or CMYK data as a jpeg? As long as workflow does not leave the realms of Adobe CS, PSD is certainly the best choice, but as soon as other applications come into play, TIFF may be more appropriate.

Peter
H
Hecate
Sep 2, 2005
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:01:09 +0100, Derek Fountain
wrote:

First, tiffs are layered. Second, virtually anything that can be retained in a psd file, can be retained in a tiff file. Third, tiffs are readable by just about any program from any manufacturer, whereas psd files are readable in Adobe software, and iffy in a lot of other software. Now, perhaps you see the point?

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
DL
Donald Link
Sep 3, 2005
I always save the scanned pictures that are important into uncompressed TIFF format. The files are hugh compared to JPEG but I am assuming the files will not suffer the compression loss with JPEG since you cannot save in uncompress JPEG. I believe there is a TIFF format that you can save layers also. The real problem is that most digital cameras save in Jpeg and you have no choice. A lot of newer and better quality cameras are beginning to offer RAW format as an option. Again, bigger files but much better retaining of important details in photos. With the price of storage I failed to see why JPEG should be used on important photos.

wrote:

W
Waldo
Sep 5, 2005
Have you ever tried to import a PSD file into powerpoint, or to save an image containing an alpha channel or CMYK data as a jpeg? As long as workflow does not leave the realms of Adobe CS, PSD is certainly the best choice, but as soon as other applications come into play, TIFF may be more appropriate.

Who uses Powerpoint for photos??? :s

The OP didn’t mention any third party application for importing, let alone transparency or CMYK. He asked a question about the best possible quality. Saving a JPEG into TIFF won’t increase the quality…

Waldo
W
Waldo
Sep 5, 2005
Hecate wrote:
wrote:

First, tiffs are layered. Second, virtually anything that can be retained in a psd file, can be retained in a tiff file. Third, tiffs are readable by just about any program from any manufacturer, whereas psd files are readable in Adobe software, and iffy in a lot of other software. Now, perhaps you see the point?

Sure everything fits into TIF (except texts maybe). But how many software tools support those things? Not many.

Anyway, the OP didn’t mention any other software for importing. He wanted to retain maximum quality.

Waldo

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections