Posted By
frankg
Aug 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
windows xp

every time I boot up i get a screen that chkdsk needs to check vol H which is my ps scratchdisk. It runs and does it’s thing and never finds a problem. Why does it do this and how can i prevent it?

i have 2 hard drives – windows xp, ps and other programs are on one partition of the larger drive. My data (photo) files are on another larger partition of this same drive. Both ntfs. Then I have a smaller, older hard drive which has one partition as a scratch disk for ps, ntfs. And a much smaller partition which is not currently used with my original win 98se os and a few apps and data , which is still fat.

any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
John
Aug 31, 2005
"frankg" wrote in message
windows xp

every time I boot up i get a screen that chkdsk needs to check vol H which is my ps scratchdisk. It runs and does it’s thing and never finds a
problem.
Why does it do this and how can i prevent it?

You may find if you look more closely that the chkdsk operation did not complete – look carefully at the text as it ‘does its thing’ and you may see the word ‘aborted’ or similar. I had a similar problem with Windows 2000 – because the chkdsk operation does not complete (and I don’t know why it doesn’t) – it starts again every time you reboot.

The only way I have found to sort the problem is to invoke chkdsk manually from command prompt – you may need to invoke your recovery console but not necessarily if the problem disk is not your system disk. Once the chkdsk operation has completed properly you should stop getting the messages.

One thing that didn’t work for me was invoking chkdsk from Windows – it didn’t reset the flag. You have to run it from system level.

John
Replace ‘nospam’ with ‘todnet’ when replying.
F
frankg
Aug 31, 2005
windows xp

every time I boot up i get a screen that chkdsk needs to check vol H which
is my ps scratchdisk. It runs and does it’s thing and never finds a
problem.

You may find if you look more closely that the chkdsk operation did not complete – look carefully at the text as it ‘does its thing’ and you may see
the word ‘aborted’ or similar. I had a similar problem with Windows 2000 – because the chkdsk operation does not complete (and I don’t know why it doesn’t) – it starts again every time you reboot.

The only way I have found to sort the problem is to invoke chkdsk manually from command prompt – you may need to invoke your recovery console but not necessarily if the problem disk is not your system disk. Once the chkdsk operation has completed properly you should stop getting the messages.
One thing that didn’t work for me was invoking chkdsk from Windows – it didn’t reset the flag. You have to run it from system level.

John
Thanks.
I do watch the blue screen message as it unravels and it does complete and says that there are no bad sectors etc
J
John
Aug 31, 2005
windows xp

every time I boot up i get a screen that chkdsk needs to check vol H which
is my ps scratchdisk. It runs and does it’s thing and never finds a
problem.

You may find if you look more closely that the chkdsk operation did not complete – look carefully at the text as it ‘does its thing’ and you may see
the word ‘aborted’ or similar. I had a similar problem with Windows
2000 –
because the chkdsk operation does not complete (and I don’t know why it doesn’t) – it starts again every time you reboot.

The only way I have found to sort the problem is to invoke chkdsk
manually
from command prompt – you may need to invoke your recovery console but
not
necessarily if the problem disk is not your system disk. Once the chkdsk operation has completed properly you should stop getting the messages.

John
Thanks.
I do watch the blue screen message as it unravels and it does complete and says that there are no bad sectors etc

J
John
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks.

Maybe still worth doing the manual chkdsk. It probably won’t fix it, but it’s worth a try (if you haven’t already that is).

John
F
frankg
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks.
I do watch the blue screen message as it unravels and it does complete and
says that there are no bad sectors etc

Maybe still worth doing the manual chkdsk. It probably won’t fix it, but it’s worth a try (if you haven’t already that is).
Do you do that by typing CHKDSKspaceH: (drive letter) at the command prompt?
J
John
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks.

Do you do that by typing CHKDSKspaceH: (drive letter) at the command
prompt?

Yes.

Also, you can type Chkdsk /? for a full list of options.

John
F
frankg
Sep 1, 2005

Maybe still worth doing the manual chkdsk. It probably won’t fix it, but
it’s worth a try (if you haven’t already that is).
=========================
Do you do that by typing CHKDSKspaceH: (drive letter) at the command
prompt?
===================
Yes.

Also, you can type Chkdsk /? for a full list of options.
======================

i looked at the list of options and it gives a few switches to repair the disk ( /f) etc
do you first just go chkdsk & the drive letter , and then if it finds a problem, then go
chkdsk & the drive letter & a switch ?
i cant figure out how you do this
J
John
Sep 1, 2005
======================

i looked at the list of options and it gives a few switches to repair the disk ( /f) etc
do you first just go chkdsk & the drive letter , and then if it finds a problem, then go

Yes, you can do it like that, or just do it in one go with the switches. Without any switches, it will just give you an error report without repairing anything. With switches, /f will repair file system errors, /r will ‘fix’ bad sectors as well as file system errors.

e.g. CHKDSK H: /F will check and if necessary repair file system errors (e.g. lost file fragments which are common after crashes, unscheduled shutdowns, power cuts, etc.)

CHKDSK H: /R will do as above AND check for bad sectors on the disk (i.e. physical defects)

Given that the disk in question is only a scratch disk, there is no reason to be over-cautious.

You need to be administrator by the way.

The chances are from what you have said that no errors will be found; however, the hope is that by manually invoking CHKDSK it will force the flag to be reset that is causing CHKDSK to be invoked during bootup. It’s a long shot, but as I said, worth a try in the absence of any better ideas.

John
AM
Andrew Morton
Sep 1, 2005
frankg wrote:
<snip various attempts at chkdsk>

There are more potential causes listed in this thread:-
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic4824.html

Remember that what appears to be faulty RAM can actually be a faulty motherboard, so if you find a problem with the RAM, move it into different slots and test again before blaming the RAM (although IME Photoshop is a better RAM-subsystem tester than anything else I’ve tried).

Andrew
F
frankg
Sep 4, 2005
Thank you.
It was a long shot, but it appears to have "done the trick"

gracias

======================

Yes, you can do it like that, or just do it in one go with the switches. Without any switches, it will just give you an error report without repairing anything. With switches, /f will repair file system errors, /r will ‘fix’ bad sectors as well as file system errors.

e.g. CHKDSK H: /F will check and if necessary repair file system errors
(e.g. lost file fragments which are common after crashes, unscheduled shutdowns, power cuts, etc.)

CHKDSK H: /R will do as above AND check for bad sectors on the disk (i.e.
physical defects)

Given that the disk in question is only a scratch disk, there is no reason to be over-cautious.

You need to be administrator by the way.

The chances are from what you have said that no errors will be found; however, the hope is that by manually invoking CHKDSK it will force the flag
to be reset that is causing CHKDSK to be invoked during bootup. It’s a long
shot, but as I said, worth a try in the absence of any better ideas.

John

J
John
Sep 5, 2005
Thank you.
It was a long shot, but it appears to have "done the trick"

That’s great!

gracias

You’re very welcome.

John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections