Changing "image size" to get *more* pixels (blowing up)

H
Posted By
henrik2000
Nov 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I would like to resample pixel images *upwardly* – say, changing them from 1600×1200 to 3200×2400 pixels. I do know i cannot gain any information and i could print the original pictures, just with very few pixels per inch. But then the image is too blurred. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 and Photoshop 7.
I think i heard, when scaling up, one should use a noise filter? How about unsharp mask? Do you have any other tipps, experiences, or just useful links? Thanks a lot!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
J C
Nov 18, 2003
On 18 Nov 2003 04:35:25 -0800, (Henrik2000) wrote:

Hello. I would like to resample pixel images *upwardly* – say, changing them from 1600×1200 to 3200×2400 pixels. I do know i cannot gain any information and i could print the original pictures, just with very few pixels per inch. But then the image is too blurred. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 and Photoshop 7.
I think i heard, when scaling up, one should use a noise filter? How about unsharp mask? Do you have any other tipps, experiences, or just useful links? Thanks a lot!

In simple terms, up sizing will blur the image: imagine a pure white and pure black pixel next to each other and when increased in size the pixel placed between the two will be an average color of 50% grey, thus blurring the line.

After up sizing, applying the unsharp mask filter set at about 1.9 pixels will help.

— JC
S
SJB
Nov 19, 2003
While I don’t do this myself, I have read that a reasonable job can be done if you up-sample in steps … each step should be 10% larger only … use as many steps as it takes to get to your target.

I assume that you’ll need to do some sharpening at the end of it all as well.

Give it a try … I’d be interested in knowing if this technique does what you want it to do.

Enjoy.

SB
"J C" wrote in message
On 18 Nov 2003 04:35:25 -0800, (Henrik2000) wrote:

In simple terms, up sizing will blur the image: imagine a pure white and pure black pixel next to each other and when increased in size the pixel placed between the two will be an average color of 50% grey, thus blurring the line.

After up sizing, applying the unsharp mask filter set at about 1.9 pixels will help.

— JC
H
henrik2000
Nov 20, 2003
Hi, thanks for your tips. If i see some significant success, i will tell it here.
P
Paul
Dec 12, 2003
x-no-archive: yes
In article , Henrik2000
writes
Hi, thanks for your tips. If i see some significant success, i will tell it here.

Missed this thread – so a late additional comment:

You can get an "almost free" exact-doubling in pixel size by using "nearest neighbour" in Image Resize.

(Obviously, you don’t gain any additional info, but you do avoid the ‘blurring’ effects others have mentioned, because all it does – literally – is to double the pixels in each direction.)

Paul

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections